Forums > Kitesurfing   Newbies / Tips & Tricks

Last Twintip bought in 2004 - what now!?

Created by stevet73 > 9 months ago, 9 Dec 2021
stevet73
NSW, 239 posts
9 Dec 2021 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Been kiting since early 2000's but been a bit 'lean' on it the last 2 years after getting the foil bug. Have the surf foil/wind wing down but my usual short attention span drawing me back to kiting again. My last TT was an underground flx 2004, 128 x 38. Lasted me fine but gone now as it was just so old. So, after a super long time, looking to get a new/used replacement. And Im lost....

Me: 48 yo, 80Kg's, 6'1. Completely/comfortably intermediate(+). Like waves, jumps - a few tweaks jumping but nothing crazy.
- Probably do take preference over comfort of ride (freeride) over poppy high performance.
- Usually take out surfboard first or last depending on if wind increases/drops

Here's the contenders (used/as new and well priced - $400 to $600):
2019 Crazyfly Carbon (LTD?) 133 x 41 - I am swaying to this one buy may be 'too small' given current sizing preferences (based on forums)
2019 Cabrinha Spectrum 136 x 41 - this sounds like a very versatile board. Used once.
2017 Nobile T5 137 x 42 - Just super close to home :)
2018 Shinn Monk Ghost 133 x 41 - More used but cheap and supposed to be exceptional slop eater
2020 Cabrinha Caliber Wood - A bit more performance than the Spectrum listed above.

And 2 a bit over the budget (wife/kids/mortgage etc etc):
2021 Jaime 133 x ?: Demo board
2021 Shinn PInbot RX3 138 x 42: Demo board. Maybe too large?
2020 Shinn Monk Mental: NEW 133 x 41 or 135 x 42.....most expensive of the list though....

So there it is. Maybe too much overthought. I almost didn't want to bother you all but then I thought maybe there are some others in that 'mid-life crisis' bracket that could relate with some input and/or be interested also. Thanks a ton for any/every insight and suggestion!

THE PIN PULLER
WA, 465 posts
9 Dec 2021 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

At that age u may even get a seniors discount ??

mazdon
1196 posts
10 Dec 2021 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Do you mean crazy fly raptor Ltd 2019?
if you've been riding a 128 all these years, I think the 133 would be fine/ probably suit current style/expectations

spectrum sounds a bit too beginner/vanilla for you. If you like the cabrinha boards go the wood one I guess.
shinn monk you can't really get wrong. I don't know nobile personally.

i have ridden the Jaime a bit and enjoy it as an occasional TT rider. I ride them a bit bigger (90kg). Thought about adding a raptor myself but don't get out enough to justify presently

my 2c. Stop overthinking. Get the raptor at $500. If you don't like it sell and try to get another on your list straight after. A bit of a risk, but hey, you could get 2 or 3 of the 2nd hand ones for a new board, and just tell wife you will sell off and return surplus cash to savings anyhow. Have fun!
let us know what you get and how it goes!

stevet73
NSW, 239 posts
10 Dec 2021 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Good call. Thanks for the heads up oh that cabrinha. Maybe the crazyfly is worth the punt after all the overthought....

psychojoe
WA, 1804 posts
31 Dec 2021 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

I might have missed the boat here but my vote would be for the 2018 Monk, not that I've experienced enough boards to have a valuable opinion, I think it's worth adding that for me pads are half the performance of any board, still haven't found better than Naish Apex.
I'm also in the mid life bracket with an old board, for me I'm thinking next year I'll consider buying a full Reedin kit.
Cheers and happy New year

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Newbies / Tips & Tricks

"Last Twintip bought in 2004 - what now!?" started by stevet73