Forums > Wing Foiling General

HA195 : User feedback so far?

Created by dapara2004 > 9 months ago, 17 Jan 2022
dapara2004
60 posts
17 Jan 2022 3:22AM
Thumbs Up

I am interested in the HA195 to ride with my HA925 or HS1250. I use the 232 now, rather than the FV200. Would the HA195 be an improvement over the 232 (and what would be the advantages /disadvantages over the FV200)?

greg87foil
130 posts
19 Jan 2022 3:08AM
Thumbs Up

So you prefer the 232 over the FV200? If so, why? Just interested to hear which ride characteristics you're after..

I'm mostly using the HA925 now for winging, don't really use my 1250 anymore. So regarding tails, for me the 232 is more stable but slower than the FV200. So once I got the hang of the FV200 (only took a session or two and playing around with shims) I liked it a lot. Turned easily, had a bit of a springy-ness to the pump, but I did find it a bit squirrelly going fast (dropping into bigger waves with the wing).

Now that I've tried the 195 I'm not going back. It's the best tail for the HA925 imo. The higher aspect of the tail means it's going to create (relatively) more lift (downward force in case of the tail) for the same pitch deflection as a lower aspect tail. How this feels (at least to me in the water) is that it kinda "locks in" when you start going faster, and provides more pitch stability at higher speeds. This is exactly what you want, because other tails can feel a bit loose or wobbly, especially when going faster.
It also felt like you could push harder on the pumps and you get more response from the pumps, compared to the fv200 where sometimes you can feel the flexibility of the tail..

Anyways, I've only had two sessions on the 195 so far, so don't take my word only. I would suggest to try and see if you like!

For me and the type of winging I like to do (ride waves), it's going to be the only tail I use from now on.

Once I progress to the point I can prone my HA925, I'm also very keen to try the 195 tail for prone.

leepasty
328 posts
19 Jan 2022 4:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
greg87foil said..
So you prefer the 232 over the FV200? If so, why? Just interested to hear which ride characteristics you're after..

I'm mostly using the HA925 now for winging, don't really use my 1250 anymore. So regarding tails, for me the 232 is more stable but slower than the FV200. So once I got the hang of the FV200 (only took a session or two and playing around with shims) I liked it a lot. Turned easily, had a bit of a springy-ness to the pump, but I did find it a bit squirrelly going fast (dropping into bigger waves with the wing).

Now that I've tried the 195 I'm not going back. It's the best tail for the HA925 imo. The higher aspect of the tail means it's going to create (relatively) more lift (downward force in case of the tail) for the same pitch deflection as a lower aspect tail. How this feels (at least to me in the water) is that it kinda "locks in" when you start going faster, and provides more pitch stability at higher speeds. This is exactly what you want, because other tails can feel a bit loose or wobbly, especially when going faster.
It also felt like you could push harder on the pumps and you get more response from the pumps, compared to the fv200 where sometimes you can feel the flexibility of the tail..

Anyways, I've only had two sessions on the 195 so far, so don't take my word only. I would suggest to try and see if you like!

For me and the type of winging I like to do (ride waves), it's going to be the only tail I use from now on.

Once I progress to the point I can prone my HA925, I'm also very keen to try the 195 tail for prone.

What shim you using on the 195? Used it once so far with zero shim and feels sweet. Felt like the chopped 1325 was as fast as the 925 with v tail and negative .5 shim

greg87foil
130 posts
20 Jan 2022 4:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..

greg87foil said..

What shim you using on the 195? Used it once so far with zero shim and feels sweet. Felt like the chopped 1325 was as fast as the 925 with v tail and negative .5 shim

So far I've only used a -1 shim (red clipped and reversed) because that's what I'd been using on all my other tails for winging. Will try shimless next time (on A+ fuse).

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
25 Jan 2022 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Bump. Finnally got out on this tail a few times, foiling behind a boat and winging it. Fav tail so far. More speed and glide and pumps like a beast. No sillly surprises when carving, holds then breaks clean when you want it. Comfortable to use from the first run. Worth the wait, although quite frankly about time. Now all armie needs is to tune his mid aspects in line with some the great current offerings from other brands out there.

JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
26 Jan 2022 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

HA 195 smooth, fast and stable on 1550v2. Not as agile as the bat tail but way, way more glide.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
27 Jan 2022 6:33AM
Thumbs Up

Also the actual pumping with wing flagged and say the wave/swell has dissipated is really consistent and steady. . able to pump easily into another swell line and / or pump jibe around. It's the best tail I've used so far and that includes all the other custom tails I've tried. Can't wait to prone it.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
29 Jan 2022 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

Righto so FINALLY got an okay prone with possible link ups today (damn this summer has been bad swell wise) and the tail rocks for pump and link.

quick, super balanced - it's a wider carve than the V tail for sure but no unexpected crap going on.

Checks all the boxes. Done.

greg87foil
130 posts
31 Jan 2022 5:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
Righto so FINALLY got an okay prone with possible link ups today (damn this summer has been bad swell wise) and the tail rocks for pump and link.

quick, super balanced - it's a wider carve than the V tail for sure but no unexpected crap going on.

Checks all the boxes. Done.

On the 925? Or did you pair it with other front wings for prone? (curious about pairing it with 1550v2/1250)

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
31 Jan 2022 6:18AM
Thumbs Up

Personally 1250 with prone. 925 winging. 1050 winging. Son on a 725 winging. Friend on the 925 winging, and 1550 sup foiling. All good. Carves aren't as sharp as the V tail.

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
31 Jan 2022 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

What are you doing prone on the 1250 when you could be on the 925 ?

radair
142 posts
31 Jan 2022 8:02AM
Thumbs Up

I've had a bunch of wing sessions lately using the 1550v2, 1250 and 925 with the 195 tail and it works great with all. The 1250 has been my least used foil but has been excellent recently with the 195. My foot switches and jibes are less consistent on the 925, and the 1250 was so smooth while working on tight radius turns. The 1250 and 195 combo is great for prone also. I do love the fast, slippery feel of the 925 but the 1250 is going to get more water time in funky conditions with this tail.

ArthurAlston
NSW, 183 posts
31 Jan 2022 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
radair said..
I've had a bunch of wing sessions lately using the 1550v2, 1250 and 925 with the 195 tail and it works great with all. The 1250 has been my least used foil but has been excellent recently with the 195. My foot switches and jibes are less consistent on the 925, and the 1250 was so smooth while working on tight radius turns. The 1250 and 195 combo is great for prone also. I do love the fast, slippery feel of the 925 but the 1250 is going to get more water time in funky conditions with this tail.

Very useful - ordered mine today and am aiming to use with the 1550v2 and 1250 as well.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
31 Jan 2022 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
radair said..

exactly...couldn't have said it better.

dapara2004
60 posts
5 Feb 2022 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
radair said..

Great input here, I finally swapped out my 232 for the 195 paired with the 925 and 1250. With the 925 I was
able to do a tour of the local bay, some 10.5km upwind and back. The 195 seemed to allow me to keep my speed up at a tight upwind angle, and I also felt there was less fatigue in my arms. With the long tacks upwind and the nice downwind run, I must have racked up 45-50 km today. I wouldn't have been able to cover so much distance with my old setup (1250+232). I came back in at the end of the long downwinder and swapped out the 925 and stuck on my 1250 and 232. Immediately things felt a lot easier, but my arms were fatigued more quickly. Of course, going downwind for me would be better on the 1250+232/195 and next time when I don't feel like covering so much land, it will be good to try the 1250+195 on the wind swell.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
5 Feb 2022 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh it makes a big diff with the 1250 on Dw. Today I was winging it in one place and really opened up the speed. It's got gears that tail. Might have to something about that high pitched scream though. Lol. Really cranks the volume up when you are doing Mack speed.

dapara2004
60 posts
6 Feb 2022 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
Yeh it makes a big diff with the 1250 on Dw. Today I was winging it in one place and really opened up the speed. It's got gears that tail. Might have to something about that high pitched scream though. Lol. Really cranks the volume up when you are doing Mack speed.

I agree about the whistle it makes . Red +1 shim didn't do much , so I might tune it like in the Armstrong YouTube video tutorial; the sound kind of lets me know when I am jumping up the speed and maybe adds to the trill of carving down the swell, so maybe it's all good the way it is. I plan on trying it again back to back with the 1250. It's surprising to me how much effect stabilizers have on the feel.

patronus
337 posts
4 Jan 2023 12:28AM
Thumbs Up

I wing 1550v2 with 232 on A+ and 2 degrees (red) shims which improved glide. Any suggestions on what I'll notice if I got HA195?

kiwiupover
127 posts
4 Jan 2023 12:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
patronus said..
I wing 1550v2 with 232 on A+ and 2 degrees (red) shims which improved glide. Any suggestions on what I'll notice if I got HA195?

For me, the 195 tail feels faster and looser, with more glide, compared to the 232 with one red shim (on the 1550v2 - currently my only foil). For the price, it's a good upgrade.

Windoc
376 posts
4 Jan 2023 6:15AM
Thumbs Up

195 has great glide, speed, pump, and turning. Love this tail for every HA, HS, and MA foil I've owned in any size (725 all the way up to 1850). Super versatile, no real downsides outside of being sharp and pointy.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
4 Jan 2023 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
patronus said..

A sh1t ton extra glide and speed. Night and day. Totally changed my HS wings before the HAs took hold. Turning sharply . it isn't as surfy as the 232 - but once you get used to it I'm not sure why you'd ever use a 232 again. Like above, one tail on all wings. No mucking around.

longboard
179 posts
4 Jan 2023 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

195 is legit!
Sold my V200 & 232...

Apparently new tail wing design coming down the pipeline soon...possible natch for the new MA foils?

ArthurAlston
NSW, 183 posts
4 Jan 2023 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

I wonder whether the rumoured new stab will whistle as much as the 195?

paulweller2
150 posts
4 Jan 2023 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ArthurAlston said..
I wonder whether the rumoured new stab will whistle as much as the 195?

Sand down the trailing edge. Donaldson technique. Mine is silent.

spartacus
NSW, 121 posts
4 Jan 2023 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Tried all tails and 195 is the only tail I use now. To me none of the other tails compare.
Thats with HA & HS foils from 925 all the way to 2400.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
4 Jan 2023 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
longboard said..
195 is legit!
Sold my V200 & 232...

Apparently new tail wing design coming down the pipeline soon...possible natch for the new MA foils?

Yeh a 205 and a 230 I've heard. Improvements on the 232. Would have to be something to get me of the 195.

ArthurAlston
NSW, 183 posts
5 Jan 2023 6:41AM
Thumbs Up

The 195 seems to be a one way door. You don't go back.
I'm also curious about the rumoured MA stabs and not quite sure what problem they are solving.

@Eppo how did Armie position these stabs? Ie what do they being to the party?

bolocom
NSW, 175 posts
5 Jan 2023 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ArthurAlston said..
I'm also curious about the rumoured MA stabs and not quite sure what problem they are solving.

Been doing a lot of sup foiling lately and in the surf I think the the V tail is much loser and feels nicer.
winging. , with 925 I prefer the 195, only because I can't control the V tail, with chopped 1250 and 1850 V tail for sure. Feels faster, loser and more fun. 195, I know it's fast because my watch tells me, but feels slow and locked.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
5 Jan 2023 5:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ArthurAlston said..

Kinda because of what bolocom said above.

One thing armie said to me was he makes gear based on where he and his riding mates are at and what they are looking for - not for any supposed market needs. He is dead set frother water man, hence why he is starting to pass the business stuff off to business type people, as the audit he had done suggested lol. If and when you meet him you'll know why lol!!

so...he even had prototype tails when riding over here in November's on the proto MAs. Probably because that's where he and his mates are at - they want more of a surfy feel on the new Ma and mast.

I am kind of used to the 195 but it can track and lock at times when trying to carve harder. It's not crazy tight but it's there and although it does release well enough it can bite when really throwing it around. I notice more behind the boat really. But the 725 and 525 helps mitigate this .

bolocom
NSW, 175 posts
5 Jan 2023 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

ArthurAlston said..

Kinda because of what bolocom said above.

One thing armie said to me was he makes gear based on where he and his riding mates are at and what they are looking for - not for any supposed market needs. He is dead set frother water man, hence why he is starting to pass the business stuff off to business type people, as the audit he had done suggested lol. If and when you meet him you'll know why lol!!

so...he even had prototype tails when riding over here in November's on the proto MAs. Probably because that's where he and his mates are at - they want more of a surfy feel on the new Ma and mast.

I am kind of used to the 195 but it can track and lock at times when trying to carve harder. It's not crazy tight but it's there and although it does release well enough it can bite when really throwing it around. I notice more behind the boat really. But the 725 and 525 helps mitigate this .

That makes sense, I am getting a 725 today. I am expecting the 195 to be the perfect match for it.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
5 Jan 2023 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Nice their best HA wing for sure. In fact a 725 / 1000MA would be a damn nice combo.

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"HA195 : User feedback so far?" started by dapara2004