Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Severne Dyno 85L 2021

Created by Relapse > 9 months ago, 24 Nov 2020
Relapse
VIC, 574 posts
24 Nov 2020 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

Picked up my 85L Dyno last week, previously had last year's 95L which I loved but sold it because I'm usually on the wing ding in less than 20 knots these days. Got a couple of fun sessions in already which is always a bonus when you get a new board. Good news is its kept all the great performance of the previous model, early planning, speed, pop and brilliant chop handling are all still there but it's even better in the waves! I use the 17cm rear out of my 77L Nano instead of the 21cm stock fin which loosens it up heaps but if you prefer blasting or are heavier (I'm 70kg) the stock fin is a great too.

southsea
31 posts
26 Nov 2020 1:09AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Relapse - I thought the dyno was a powerbox, is it US in the smaller sizes?

Relapse
VIC, 574 posts
26 Nov 2020 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southsea said..

Yeah, it's a powerbox. I had to put a powerbox head on the 17cm slotbox fin.

philn
725 posts
26 Nov 2020 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Relapse said..

southsea said..

How do you put a powerbox head on a slot box

Relapse
VIC, 574 posts
26 Nov 2020 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
philn said..

Relapse said..

southsea said..

I 3D printed an adaptor but it's not that strong, will mould one on next.

WaveMuppet
39 posts
27 Nov 2020 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Relapse - Would love to get your thoughts on the S-1 with Dyno combination. I currently have 2017 blades but thinking about changing to S-1s in the smaller sizes to pair with my Dyno 85 and possible Pyro 83/87 purchase. Thinking 4.0/4.4/4.8 or 4.0/4.6/5.0 then blades above that for my Dyno 105. I'd keep my 3.7 blade for when it's nuclear

thanks!

philn
725 posts
27 Nov 2020 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Relapse said..

philn said..

Relapse said..

southsea said..

I 3D printed an adaptor but it's not that strong, will mould one on next.

How hard is it to mold the fin head. I have a powerbox fin that I want to move forward in the box. I have the exact same fin in a US box so was thinking to mold that fin into a powerbox head.

Grantmac
1953 posts
28 Nov 2020 12:43AM
Thumbs Up

Unifiber make a conversion head:
4boards.co.uk/product/spares-repair-shop/fin-box-adapter-head/

I wouldn't use it with a long fin but I guarentee its easier than going from scratch. I may try to go US box to tuttle with a forward shift for a board this winter.

Relapse
VIC, 574 posts
28 Nov 2020 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WaveMuppet said..
Relapse - Would love to get your thoughts on the S-1 with Dyno combination. I currently have 2017 blades but thinking about changing to S-1s in the smaller sizes to pair with my Dyno 85 and possible Pyro 83/87 purchase. Thinking 4.0/4.4/4.8 or 4.0/4.6/5.0 then blades above that for my Dyno 105. I'd keep my 3.7 blade for when it's nuclear

thanks!

So much comes down to your weight, preference and conditions. Lighter sailors like me at 70kg seem to prefer S1s but a few light weights here swear by Blades. Another 80kg very good local has just moved from S1 Pros to Blade Pros and loves them for cross on waves and jumping but still misses the way the S1 depowers in the waves. I tried his 5.2m blade pro and it was awesome, smooth power and control with a great range. Earlier Blades were tractors which suited heavier power sailors but I found them hard to handle but recent models are totally different. A lot more refined and smother power delivery. I like a softer feel and run my 3.3m S1 as a 3.5 batten. One of our local sponsored riders has a quiver of new S1 Pros and it's raving about them, I'll give one a go next time I'm out with him.

WaveMuppet
39 posts
29 Nov 2020 6:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Relapse said..

WaveMuppet said..

thanks!

So much comes down to your weight, preference and conditions. Lighter sailors like me at 70kg seem to prefer S1s but a few light weights here swear by Blades. Another 80kg very good local has just moved from S1 Pros to Blade Pros and loves them for cross on waves and jumping but still misses the way the S1 depowers in the waves. I tried his 5.2m blade pro and it was awesome, smooth power and control with a great range. Earlier Blades were tractors which suited heavier power sailors but I found them hard to handle but recent models are totally different. A lot more refined and smother power delivery. I like a softer feel and run my 3.3m S1 as a 3.5 batten. One of our local sponsored riders has a quiver of new S1 Pros and it's raving about them, I'll give one a go next time I'm out with him.

Thanks - very interesting. I guess I need to try an S1. Agree with you on the blades, I think my 2017s were the first year that used less luff curve and give a more sensitive feel than earlier models (I had various years prior to that and the power feel was much more noticeable).

Relapse
VIC, 574 posts
2 Dec 2020 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Lost my 17cm fin the other day, 3D printed adaptor not strong enough. Felt a little bump and it was gone . Stock fin isn't too bad in the waves though but on the hunt for another 17cm Severne fin. Scored some fun waves yesterday, this was on the stock fin.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Severne Dyno 85L 2021" started by Relapse