Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

JP 2021 Freestyle Wave construction

Created by Orange Whip > 9 months ago, 28 Nov 2020
Orange Whip
QLD, 1039 posts
28 Nov 2020 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

JP website shows the 2021 Freestyle Wave is available in only "LXT" or ES construction which is a change for 2021. I can't find any info on the website explaining what "LXT" construction is. Anyone know?

PhilUK
892 posts
28 Nov 2020 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

I emailed them about construction when their Superride came out and they responded within 24 hours. That was using the contact form on their website.

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
28 Nov 2020 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

jp-australia.com/technology/lxt-freestyle-wave-technology/
sounds like crap. I don't like PET as there's bonding issues and there's is no need to deviate from the awesome construction they had 8yrs ago. Lot of wa^kwords in that description.
trouble is, the ES is very basic and bit heavy previously so hmmmm

Orange Whip
QLD, 1039 posts
29 Nov 2020 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..
jp-australia.com/technology/lxt-freestyle-wave-technology/
sounds like crap. I don't like PET as there's bonding issues and there's is no need to deviate from the awesome construction they had 8yrs ago. Lot of wa^kwords in that description.
trouble is, the ES is very basic and bit heavy previously so hmmmm

Lots of PET mentioned in the description of the Ultimate Wave also.

" 1. JP's most radical down-the-line wave board.
2. PRO EDITION in S-Glass technology with PET sandwich and stringers New high density sandwich and stringers made of recycled PET"

Surely they must have confidence in the durability of these builds? These wave boards would cop a flogging?

LeeD
3939 posts
1 Dec 2020 6:04AM
Thumbs Up

I've always chosen lighter weight boards for light wind and flatter water, while choosing heavier maybe medium weight construction for high winds and rougher waters.
A pro wave sailor would usually choose the lightest construction offered.
As would a pro slalom sailor.
Nether of which I qualify for.

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
1 Dec 2020 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

My issues was not so much PET. More the wa^kwords like
- integrated Innegra nose reinforcement (so what. All boards have a nose patch and I doubt that the JP has anything like the 7 or so layers of fibre that Quatro use in their nose. If they did, they'd be sure to tell us)
- various stringers (wow. Stringers not needed, nobody else needs them. What's various anyway? Where and what?)
- the Parabolic Rail band (flash way of saying an extra strip of 'something along the rail'. Like every other board has. Now if it has an extra strong 'something' then tell us...?)
- heel reinforcements (again like every other board has and it would be a travesty if it didn't. Interestingly, of all the boards I repair JP seems to have one of the lowest levels of goodness in heels and standing area)
- a Quadraxial fibre construction in the full standing area. (quadraxial has fiber going in so many directions its the same as a 90deg and a 45 - which many boards have eg: biax carbon and one layer of plain 4oz glass . It sounds flash but can't see any advantage other than them laying down one bit of cloth not 2 or 3 = manufacturing efficiency not strength. It could actually be stronger as every time a fibre crosses over another one there is a kink. As its not woven there is no kinks..... BUT what I see in practice is delamination between layers on boards with biaxial etc, possibly as its harder to wet out in a mass production scenario?

PET has bonding issues unless treated, and obviously this polyethylene has been so treated. However its use in our boards is very limited so I'd wait a couple seasons personally. I've seen too many experiments fail and the consumer pays

Repeat my assertion that their 2009-12 constructions were brilliant an no need to change. EG I saw so many of the 2014-5 fall to bits with manufacturing errors they didn't later care about.

Anywayyyyy shouldn't bag it as it may last a long time, I'm just bagging JP's marketing crap and previous fails may not be indicative of 2021 stuff

sprayblaze
140 posts
1 Dec 2020 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Mark for insights on board build. Maybe that is why the area between front rear strap softens so easily in some brands...Production wave boards that I still trust constructionwise: Flikka, Goya/Quatro,Fanatic..hm. Otherwise do not waste your money and safety- go custom.

Orange Whip
QLD, 1039 posts
1 Dec 2020 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

So, begs the question, what $ are you looking at for a custom FSW board in strong construction similar to Tabou, RRD and Fanatic Innegra compared to the unacceptable $3k mass produced boards?

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
2 Dec 2020 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

$2k with all the good stuff

boardsurfr
WA, 2202 posts
3 Dec 2020 2:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sprayblaze said..
Thanks Mark for insights on board build. Maybe that is why the area between front rear strap softens so easily in some brands...Production wave boards that I still trust constructionwise: Flikka, Goya/Quatro,Fanatic..hm. Otherwise do not waste your money and safety- go custom.

Targeted reinforcements at the foot pads are great if your feet are rarely anywhere else. But in real life, that's not the case for many, for example when you slog or "abuse" a board with a center foot strap by sliding your foot onto the rail for a bit more speed. That can very quickly create soft spots right where the reinforcements end, and they can grow larger quickly.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"JP 2021 Freestyle Wave construction" started by Orange Whip