Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Anyone tested the new NP xc carbon boom 175-215?

Created by Tarziano > 9 months ago, 21 Oct 2018
Tarziano
4 posts
21 Oct 2018 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,
i'm doubt about a new medium slalom boom, my max sail is now a 7.8 (about 210 cm), so i'm looking for 180-230. I'm replacing a north platinum 190-250, too big for my actual quiver. The option are the nice AL360 carbon 180-230 wide tail, but i see now the new NP with the integrated outhull. About the NP i'm not sure about the max extension. only 215, i don't know how can be safe and stiff sailing very close to the max extension. Unfortunately no way to see both before purchasing.
Any suggestion will be welcome.

Thanks!

BSN101
WA, 2244 posts
22 Oct 2018 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

Do you want a wider boom for race sails?

I have NP X9 160-220 & 180-230. The larger boom is much wider but it also has a larger diameter grip. Both have wide tails.

Ive not seen the new NP boom with the integrated adj out haul.

I find that some sails when down hauled have a longer boom than specs suggest. Ive not measured, i just ad extra where needed when needed.

snides8
WA, 1729 posts
23 Oct 2018 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tarziano said..
Hi All,
i'm doubt about a new medium slalom boom, my max sail is now a 7.8 (about 210 cm), so i'm looking for 180-230. I'm replacing a north platinum 190-250, too big for my actual quiver. The option are the nice AL360 carbon 180-230 wide tail, but i see now the new NP with the integrated outhull. About the NP i'm not sure about the max extension. only 215, i don't know how can be safe and stiff sailing very close to the max extension. Unfortunately no way to see both before purchasing.
Any suggestion will be welcome.

Thanks!

Yes I have this boom.The largest sails
i use it on a ka race 7.9 and simmer twin cam 7.8.
These are both close to max but fine.
i was surprised they actually fitted.
As far as the new boom and Inhaul are concerned I find the inhaul a pain and see no advantage to having it-better sailors will feel the savings on drag but I can't ??.its a pain to adjust easily if you are using multiple sail sizes.
The other issue is the fit between the sliding arms and the main body... it seems any sand really locks the arms up, far more than the previous booms.
on a plus the boom is solid and the oval shape up front is nice.

Tarziano
4 posts
23 Oct 2018 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks a lot for feedback.
Than... It is better if i sail another season with my North, and i will decide next year. I rig often on sand, maybe NP will do an update.

BSN101
WA, 2244 posts
23 Oct 2018 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tarziano said..
Thanks a lot for feedback.
Than... It is better if i sail another season with my North, and i will decide next year. I rig often on sand, maybe NP will do an update.

Or find a 2017 X9 160-220. Call all the NP retail shops and see if there is one floating about

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Anyone tested the new NP xc carbon boom 175-215?" started by Tarziano