Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

2018 GPS/Slalom Series

Created by GPSWindsurfing > 9 months ago, 22 Aug 2018
byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
19 Oct 2018 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Nice girls
it was so windy today gusting to 30 was cooked up on 7 and it's still howling this place is unbelievable in a NE how strong it is.

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
19 Oct 2018 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Meeting in camp kitchen later for a beer to get out of the wind lol.

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
20 Oct 2018 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Wow what a day 2 GPS races and two slalom races in extreme conditions in the end over 30 knots all blown off the water .
Fantastic seeing everyone and sailing it was hard work today 6km long runs in the GPS i can imagine what the hr would be if we did hrs but I am sure not complaining 30 min felt long enough. At least everyone got to see my 35.5 knot crash in front of everyone crazy windy this place just increases the NE brease .

Rus13b
NSW, 270 posts
21 Oct 2018 7:57AM
Thumbs Up

Was a great day, buggared now & its next morning. To big a sail in race 2 & didnt even get to to the slalom start with a 7m, far 2 much wind.

Dezza
NSW, 919 posts
21 Oct 2018 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

That was a great weekend, 3 days of wind counting the warm up day, and with yesterday's strong NE.
Loved this location, a beautiful spot, the sailing here is well worth the trip.

Many thanks to the organisers, and sponsors for the weekend and providing the safety boat, T-shirt's, cold drinks etc and organising last nights dinner.

Otis won the new KA sail donated by the Jordan's and got to use it today. Hopefully someone got a pic of you sailing it, looked great.

Looking forward to Lake Macquarie in a few weeks

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
21 Oct 2018 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Day 2 GPS/slalom series we had two GPS races in light south westerly.
Such a great place and sooo good to sail 6 races in two days with everyone.
Such a great atmosphere with friendly windsurfers It will certainly be remember for being crazy windy Saturday I still can't believe how a NE breeze could get that strong especially considering nowhere else did.
Its great going to different locations so if you are interested please come along and join the fun.
A huge thanks to all who helped make this weekend possible. A special mention to Greg who did a bloody fantastic job on the boat starting and also scoring and this was his first time but you did it like a pro mate. Yesterday was extreme and you handled it fantastic.
Thanks to all the sponsors including Jordan boating for a new 7.5 concept give away prized used today and man he was flying on it.
Really enjoyed the new format of using starts and marks on the Saturday made it WAY more exciting.

tbwonder
NSW, 643 posts
21 Oct 2018 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

Ian85
NSW, 23 posts
21 Oct 2018 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Great weekend at Forster/Wallis Lake.
3 days of sailing in various conditions that greatly contributes to skill and fitness levels.
Many thanks to the Organizing Committee, Sponsors, Marmong Point Sailing Club, Greg for his huge efforts transporting and manning the boat and all the competitors and their families for attending.
These events are a great way to improve your sailing. It doesn't matter what skill level you are at , it's all about having fun, sailing at different locations with like minded people , and promoting our sport.
Go for a leisurely sail ,race your mates , try to keep up with the top sailors or push yourself a bit, it's all up to you.!!!
Looking forward to the next event.

tbwonder
NSW, 643 posts
22 Oct 2018 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7926 posts
22 Oct 2018 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Some terrific pics there! Great job Nic.. I love the one of Rus & Mick sailing together. I wonder how many pics they have of the 2 brothers sailing together..

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7926 posts
22 Oct 2018 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

I had a terrific weekend. I wore myself out on too big a gear on the Friday..rigged the 7.5m and big board just as it decided to get 23kts +...wish I'd rigged down and gone out till dark but I thought it would die.. It didn't it nuked! I had to park the van to shelter my tent..like Lake George..
Tried my first freerace with markers and surprised myself until my adjustable outhaul knot let go.. Luckily I was in shallow water but I spent the last 15mins trying to work out how to reroute the outhaul through the rollers..
Next day I was too buggered to race but had a ball just sailing .. Great spot..have to get up there again.
It was great to catch up with all the girls and guys and have a fantastic weekend.
Now I just have to get MUCH fitter..

Brett Morris
NSW, 1197 posts
23 Oct 2018 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a sweet venue....Great event also...

GPSWindsurfing
87 posts
23 Oct 2018 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to everyone who made the trip up to round 1 of the NSW GPS / Slalom series in Forster on the weekend.

Conditions did not disappoint, with two days of light to strong winds to meet the appetite of all levels of sailors.

Results were incredibly close at the top in GPS with Byron winning the elite category on a countback with Remi and Andrew Haigh showing consistency to take out 1st in the open category and 4th overall. Great effort!

With winds peaking 25-28 knots late on Saturday afternoon, the race committee moved the event into slalom mode, with 2 races conducted in grueling conditions (many caught out on big sails and boards). It came down to who was able to get across the finish line without going down :)

After 2 races, Remi and Byron tied again, only this time Remi taking the win on a count back. Congratulations Remi.

We hope everyone enjoyed the weekend. We look forward to seeing you all at the next round in Lake Macquarie at a venue (Coal Point) that rarely fails to deliver this time of year.

Overall GPS Results

Overall Slalom Results

tbwonder
NSW, 643 posts
23 Oct 2018 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Great job getting the results up quickly
Can we please see the actual distances we covered?

JustinL
NSW, 465 posts
Site Sponsor
23 Oct 2018 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Nice photos, looks like you guys scored it big time.
Wish i was there, hopefully next time

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7926 posts
24 Oct 2018 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Well done Remi & Byron. Great job and congrats Andrew! Well done.

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
24 Oct 2018 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone just to clarify both slalom and GPS points will be combined as an overall result for the weekend and series.
It is time consuming doing results, and the sailing instructions and our intention was always to combined the results.
we will have the combined results up next weekend.
A big thanks to Steve for putting this together.
We will look at adding the average speed over the set time period up in the future as it is very interesting but you must understand its a lot of time as all manually inputted.
Super close racing I loved it only 7m separating Steve and myself after 30 min of racing and some crazy close racing with Remi.
I enjoyed doing an actual course way more exciting going around marks over the 30 min. I think the slalom would have been fantastic if just 5 knots less we would have had twice the people and some great racing but that was just sooo windy and half the fleet went out and turned around and came back in. Just an amazing place in a NE breeze how strong it was.

tbwonder
NSW, 643 posts
29 Oct 2018 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

I am surprised to hear that you are manually extracting the sections of the GPS files to create the results. I thought that there were programs available to do that automatically?

I don't understand why it is more work to post the average speed over the half hour periods? These must have been calculated in order to come up with the rankings?

I would be happy to help process results if others are struggling for time.

tbwonder
NSW, 643 posts
30 Oct 2018 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

I've been playing around with GPSActionReplay today.
I made a little video of the action in Race 2 of the Forster GPS event.
I have only used the tracks that are publicly available on KA72.
You will have to view full screen and preferably in 1080 to be able to read the names,

Ant-man
NSW, 177 posts
31 Oct 2018 5:31AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome stuff Andy.

Dezza
NSW, 919 posts
31 Oct 2018 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

thats great Andrew, reliving the moment, race 2 was fun!

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7926 posts
31 Oct 2018 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

Here are the photos Bill took from the boat during the slalom. Great job from a boat bouncing in 25-30kts!
I'll have to reduce the size as i upload. If you want any at better quality message me.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7926 posts
31 Oct 2018 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

More of the GPS races...

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7926 posts
31 Oct 2018 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Most of these were taken by Nic on the shore..

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
31 Oct 2018 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Andrew love the action replay well done. "EVERYONE" has to post thru KA72 so files should be on there.
Love seeing the battles going on thru the race.
would love to see race 1 on Saturday as well.
we would love your help with results I don't have the computer skills required for the KA72 stuff its difficult to use. Steve is going to talk with you.
Love the photos it shows how good a day it was shame it was just tooo windy to have any photos for slalom that would have been some good shots especially me crashing at near 36 knots ribs are still blooding sore.

Tinlyds
NSW, 216 posts
1 Nov 2018 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
byronmc said..
Andrew love the action replay well done. "EVERYONE" has to post thru KA72 so files should be on there.
we would love your help with results I don't have the computer skills required for the KA72 stuff its difficult to use. Steve is going to talk with you.
Love the photos it shows how good a day it was shame it was just tooo windy to have any photos for slalom that would have been some good shots especially me crashing at near 36 knots ribs are still blooding sore.

Great photos, good luck trying to get EVERYONE to post through KA72 ?? I would make a rule if you don't post don't bother coming back....

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7926 posts
1 Nov 2018 7:00AM
Thumbs Up

I seem to have posted some of the pics twice.. Sorry..Too late to delete them now.

AUS4
NSW, 1250 posts
1 Nov 2018 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tinlyds said..

byronmc said..

Great photos, good luck trying to get EVERYONE to post through KA72 ?? I would make a rule if you don't post don't bother coming back....

All our tracks were handed in to the committee , its up to them what they do with them.

Rus13b
NSW, 270 posts
1 Nov 2018 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

thanks for the photos, some great pics there. gd number of people were there & getting used to the boat start is a
bit different but worked out ok, just a bit late every time for me. the 1st race would b gd to see.

Adriano
11206 posts
4 Nov 2018 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

All these amazing reports and I'm starting to think the 17 hour drive might be worth it next year!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

"2018 GPS/Slalom Series" started by GPSWindsurfing