Forums > Windsurfing General

Tyronsea 1987 Brochure

Created by sailquik > 9 months ago, 13 Jun 2019
sailquik
VIC, 6068 posts
13 Jun 2019 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

I had a couple of these but I dont think I ever saw the 'custom' boards. especially the 'speed' board. I notice they had disappeared out of the 1988-9 brochure, so I guess they didn't sell? Or perhaps the manufacture didn't work out if they suncontracted it to someone?

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
13 Jun 2019 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

These came from Sail Wind Quarterly Magazine Volume Three Number One, 1986. According to a reliable source Dave Sheen came first in the 1986 Ledge to Lancelin riding a Tyronsea Proto maybe it was one of these...

sailquik
VIC, 6068 posts
13 Jun 2019 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Nice!!

Yes, that could well be. But I don't recall seeing any of those either.

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
14 Jun 2019 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

Sailquik, My original source may have been wrong. Another source has a different version of events. He says to the effect that Dave Sheen actually rode a Cobra Gun 290 for the first Ledge to Lancelin race in 1986, he only got it the day before along with some new Pryde race sails. This new source tells me "I always remember that as he didn't have any good gear before the race so I was surprised when he turned up with heaps of new stuff.."

ka43
NSW, 3062 posts
14 Jun 2019 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

The top pic was taken on the Pittwater side of Palm Beach. Craig O'Connor, Graham Ball and Thunder Gums from Sail Wind Quarterly.
Ah the good old days!!

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
18 Jun 2019 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Daffy. I have Seen a tyronsea speed at LG in the old days. Should be able to find locally it with a bit of work All the customs where made in Adelaide and shaped by Shane Ocallahan At wind force / wind energy.

sailquik
VIC, 6068 posts
18 Jun 2019 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jimbob SA said..
Hey Daffy. I have Seen a tyronsea speed at LG in the old days. Should be able to find locally it with a bit of work All the customs where made in Adelaide and shaped by Shane Ocallahan At wind force / wind energy.

Ahhh, great info O Wise One of SA Windsurfing! .

It would be nice to find it and get permission to take it for a run on the lake to bring back some perspective on how far we have come.

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
30 Apr 2020 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

SailQuik, There is one of these, barely used, as new, Shane O'Callaghan (Windforce etc) Tyronsea TR 300 Speeds on gumtree in NSW. This might be your chance:

www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beacon-hill/surfing/windsurfer-board/1246792528

Gestalt
QLD, 14122 posts
30 Apr 2020 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

remember when all this stuff was state of the art....

Gestalt
QLD, 14122 posts
30 Apr 2020 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

this was the first shortboard i used. we had one at the watersport school i worked at. there's one on ebay....... i do feel nostalgic.

choco
SA, 3995 posts
30 Apr 2020 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Tyronsea were an Adelaide based business?

sailquik
VIC, 6068 posts
30 Apr 2020 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Yes.

Azure305
NSW, 393 posts
1 May 2020 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

I still have a 1987 370, complete set of original gear, with all OEM bits. Probly 9/10 condition. Original 7.0m still sets ok. Always loved this board.

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
1 May 2020 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

The only Tyronsea I ever sailed was the 330 which my late father purchased from Court Yachts, WA in around 1987 or so and was the board he learnt to windsurf on and which he enjoyed sailing. I think they were a good brand but obviously did not make the transition out of the 80s.

The Tyronsea mast base and universal was pretty much a good wave sailors choice in 1986-87 as a mast base system at least for me and I think others. They must have sold a lot of those for many years after.

The Stinger was designed by Scotty O'Connor but must not have lasted in the range according to the above catalogue which does not mention it. Never sailed that one.

Peter Dans was sponsored by Santosha (Greg Laurenson) and Neil Pryde and was windsurfing in the speed trials at Woodman Point - summer 86/87. He must also have been sponsored by Tyronsea as shown in the sail he is using there which does not appear in the catalogue above presumably being a special speed sail.

ka43
NSW, 3062 posts
1 May 2020 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Think that's a proto RAF Speed done in the Tyronsea colours. Willy Blauw did a lot of stuff for NP back then.
Pete will know. Plus he is 25.

tonyk
QLD, 522 posts
1 May 2020 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

My brother and i learnt on the 370s in 80s
They were great, came with a good 7m sail and served us well
We swapped out the fin it came with for a multifin and that was like turbo charging
My brother still has his :-)

coastflyer
SA, 572 posts
1 May 2020 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
choco said..
Tyronsea were an Adelaide based business?

The factory was at Hendon, right next to the South Australian Film Corporation studios. I actually worked in the factory for awhile.

remery
WA, 1885 posts
1 May 2020 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..
The only Tyronsea I ever sailed was the 330 which my late father purchased from Court Yachts, WA in around 1987 or so and was the board he learnt to windsurf on and which he enjoyed sailing. I think they were a good brand but obviously did not make the transition out of the 80s.

The Tyronsea mast base and universal was pretty much a good wave sailors choice in 1986-87 as a mast base system at least for me and I think others. They must have sold a lot of those for many years after.

The Stinger was designed by Scotty O'Connor but must not have lasted in the range according to the above catalogue which does not mention it. Never sailed that one.

Peter Dans was sponsored by Santosha (Greg Laurenson) and Neil Pryde and was windsurfing in the speed trials at Woodman Point - summer 86/87. He must also have been sponsored by Tyronsea as shown in the sail he is using there which does not appear in the catalogue above presumably being a special speed sail.

No surprise that Dans looked in better shape than me! Maybe I would have been more comfortable with a higher position of the luff cutout on the standard 7.0 sail.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7917 posts
2 May 2020 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

I had the 295 about that time.At the time I thought it was a small board . I saw an old one recently and they were big!

robin890
2 posts
6 Oct 2020 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..
SailQuik, There is one of these, barely used, as new, Shane O'Callaghan (Windforce etc) Tyronsea TR 300 Speeds on gumtree in NSW. This might be your chance:

www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beacon-hill/surfing/windsurfer-board/1246792528

Does anyone know what happened to this? The ad is no longer there.

I have one of these, but i think it fell down inside the shed and the tail is split along the lower surface. Its a great ride and i'd love to be able to get another one, mine is pretty worn out but im still thinking of trying to repair it.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Tyronsea 1987 Brochure" started by sailquik