Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Starboard foil freeride 125 sailsize

Created by Djungelman > 9 months ago, 18 Mar 2020
Djungelman
20 posts
18 Mar 2020 5:17AM
Thumbs Up

Just got the SB 125 foilboard and the supercruiser. Planing on running it with my 4.7 and 5.4 wave sails or with my no cam freerace 6.6. However, a allso have a three mini cam freerace 7.8 sail. Should I keep it in case I buy a freerace foil later on, or will a supercruiser and freerace-foil combo do just fine with the 6.6 as the biggest sail? I will sell my SB futura light wind board, wich goes great with that 7.8. Im a 78kg, intermediate wind surfer and windfoil beginner freezing in Sweden.

Windbot
475 posts
18 Mar 2020 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

I would suggest you don't sell your 7.8 until you have at least tried it with this board and foil once you have somee I have a Wizard 125L board and my biggest sail is a 7.3 followed by a 6.5. I am not convinced the 7.3 offers much over my 6.5, as the 6.5 seems to pump a bit better making the difference almost negligible. If the 7.3 required it's own 490 mast instead of the same 460 I use on the 6.5, I think I would have sold it by now.

RuddeBos
136 posts
20 Mar 2020 5:37AM
Thumbs Up

I like using a 7.2m max on the Starboard 125 with the Starboard 95cm mast / 95cm fuselage 800/255 wings.
i think that the super cruiser would be suited to smaller sails than this

mcross19
47 posts
20 Mar 2020 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

Were they the straps that came with the board? Its just that the freeride and foil X series of boards should have the Drake slick straps as per there website. When my Foil X 145 arrived it came with the race straps and I sent them back, apparently Starboard have sent all new foil boards out with the race straps in error. If you like the race straps, great, but personally I dont.

Searoamer
NSW, 284 posts
21 Mar 2020 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

I have done many sessions on SuperCruiser + SB Freeride 150 + Severne Turbo 8.1 twin cam, works really well with my 95kg but it does become a straight line blasting setup, you lose most of the free loose carving that comes naturally with small sails eg 6.2 down, as sail is big, locked in and hard to depower

Djungelman
20 posts
21 Mar 2020 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for your input! If I knew that I would buy I freeracefoil foil later on I would Keep the 7.8. But I dont. Big sail and racefoil or big foil small and small sail, thats the questions. Or both! But I would prefer the minimalist way, if there is such a thing in the sport of windsurfing ??
I hope One foilboard, One regular smaller board, three sails(4.7, 5.4, 6.6), two masts and one boom Will do it. Feel free to chare your own ideas in this matter??

Djungelman
20 posts
21 Mar 2020 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mcross19 said..
Were they the straps that came with the board? Its just that the freeride and foil X series of boards should have the Drake slick straps as per there website. When my Foil X 145 arrived it came with the race straps and I sent them back, apparently Starboard have sent all new foil boards out with the race straps in error. If you like the race straps, great, but personally I dont.

Yes they were! Its funny you should ask. I noticed this myself but just thought the dealer must have mixed them up with another board. I dont mind, anyhow it will be nice to try something different. What do the straps do differently compared to eachother, or is it just a matter of taste?

RuddeBos
136 posts
21 Mar 2020 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

I really prefer the lightweight straps as they are easy to slip your feet in without unsettling the board in the air. I have them quite loose as you dont need them tight like a wave board. They also are quick to dry and keep the board lighter.
When my board arrived with the race straps I was relieved as I was prepared to swap my old board straps rather than have the standard black straps

in regard to sail sizes and foils i'd Just keep everything. Keep your options open.. the board is really versatile as it can do race foil or wave foil.
I chose the 125 rather than an Xfoil as I felt that it ( the Xfoil) was more of a one trick pony, being set up for use with the SC foil, and not suited for all my Starboard foil parts.
Theres plenty of board width, I've moved the straps onboard slightly to give an easier ride in high winds and there's plenty of leverage to control an 800 fw

Sometimes it's a race foil kind of a day sometimes a wave foil..
you can never have too much kit.

Djungelman
20 posts
10 Apr 2020 3:31AM
Thumbs Up

I have had 6 sessions so far on the Freeride 125 and super cruiser. As a complete foil beginner I must say Im surprised how "easy" it is. Foiling with the right gear sure is easier than it looks.

Ruddebos, do you have experience with the 125 and super cruiser - combo? The reason I ask is because the sc is really optimised with the foil x-boards and today at the beach I messured the mast track on my 125 about 18cm/7inch further forvard compared to the foil x 105 which got me thinking. The rear footstraps relative to the foil box seamed to be the same on both boards. What does this mean to the settings on the sc 125 combo? Peter Hands, you got the 150 and sc right? Maybee you have some input?

I have the footstraps as far in and forward as possible. I have noticed that the leading edge of the foil wing is pretty far back and nowhere near the middle area between the footstraps as often recommended. The foil wing and stabiliser is in default position. The only thing I have experimented with is the mast foot position. I had it far forvard today when I was over powered which I think helped me to keep things in control but Im not sure where the right position is when conditions are ideal. Of course this depends on where you are on the learning curve and where you have the footstraps. Im trying to dial things in but in the same time Im evolving so changes in the settings gets outdated and therefore need to be changed over and over. Its a process, not a problem but inputs are apprechiated anyways :)

Searoamer
NSW, 284 posts
10 Apr 2020 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

I'm more of a feel/fun sailor than super into measurements etc - so I guess my Olympic dreams are over ...

Anyway, my 2c - I have sailed a few SB boards and foils now, including rented Freeride 150 - have found they all work sweet with mast in centre of track, then I make very small adjustments (<1cm) fore/aft

Now use Fanatic Stingray 140 with Supercruiser - it has extra long track, allowing mastbase range from 980 to 1170 from centre of front foilmast bolt - my impression is that blasting foilers run at around 1100 to 1130, tricksters much less - hence long Fanatic design intended to cover both styles - others can help with this if my impressions are way off!

I go with about 1120 from bolt, bringing it back slightly as sails get smaller - works for me at 90+kg, I like to go out powered up, and base forward helps me trim nose down when accelerating in gusts or on a swell

Hope that helps

WhiteofHeart
762 posts
11 Apr 2020 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Around the 110cm mark from the front bolt to the mastbase is a good place to start for racing / freeracing. For freeriding and freestyling with small sails I personally run 83cm, that allows a more upright stance and sail position and a more free board. As a beginner I'd go somewhere in the middle at around 100cm, especially if you're riding sails <6.5m

The way you have your stuff setup now sounds to me (sorry but have to say it) almost unsailable. I have tried a mates SC with a freefoil 150, straps at inboard with the backstraps all the way back and front all the way forward, mastfoot in the middle, and I had difficulty keeping it flying. I would move everything back first thing, otherwise you'll learn yourself the "wrong" technique (backfoot heavy) and in the long run it'll take you far, far longer to learn for example flying through jibes.

If I set up a trainees foilboard, I try it, and I set it up such that when the board is at speed I can comfortably (without having to lean back / bend the backleg) stand and keep flying with my front foot in the strap and my backfoot about 3/4th back between the strap. If you have to load the backfoot to kewp flying with your feet in that position you'll have to move your base and straps back. This setup is easy enough to control as a beginner, but will allow you to adapt to the "correct" foiling technique. When you're more advanced ideally you want the power even further forward for ease in jibes, at speed, and to make sure you dont touchdown in gusts (leading to a catapult), so its better to learn to adapt to this new stance asap, although ofcourse in a more controlled / step-by-step manner.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Starboard foil freeride 125 sailsize" started by Djungelman