Thumbs Up

Jesper and Simon frothing on the new W114

Cottesloe SW 18-22 knots
Infinity 76 & 65, both on 4.2m

nerdycross
248 posts
29 Nov 2020 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Love the video, one day I'll be as good as that !

marc5
45 posts
29 Nov 2020 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Bravo--in my dreams!

Jesper, Simon, and other highly skilled foilers......have you found that as your foiling skilled progressed you were able to feel relaxed and at ease as you do on your fin gear? Or, even at your level, do the requirements of fine motor skills put you more on "high alert" constantly?

Thanks and keep the videos coming.

thedoor
756 posts
30 Nov 2020 12:16AM
Thumbs Up

Nice one boys

@marc5 I know what you mean about being on high alert (mostly of breaching) when on the foil. I have found that this decreases, when you learn to recognize the precursors to a breach and develop a few of the techniques to control excess lift. Kind of like when the windsurfer is in the harness and straps phase and is getting catapulted a lot, eventually they learn to intervene a few steps earlier than the catapult so they can relax more.

However, at this stage I am still not as relaxed on the foil as I was on fin. Even looking around too much can lead to a crash, if there is swell. When the water is flat, I can relax much more obviously as my height off the water is much more predictable.

CoreAS
363 posts
30 Nov 2020 1:21AM
Thumbs Up

Great to see the W114 has finally landed in WA.

Looking forward to reading the reviews etc... Does the 114 feel more direct and more foot/pressure sensitive than the W105?

stehsegler
WA, 3180 posts
30 Nov 2020 2:27AM
Thumbs Up

Nice work JJ... challenge accepted.

azymuth
WA, 1272 posts
30 Nov 2020 6:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..
Nice work JJ... challenge accepted.

Cheers !!
I wonder if I'll get to watch yours before my next foil session

KDog
97 posts
30 Nov 2020 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Nice two thumbs up would love to have some wind and warm water about now!

Ian K
WA, 3537 posts
30 Nov 2020 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedoor said..
when you learn to recognize the precursors to a breach and develop a few of the techniques to control excess lift.

And there's quite a few permutations of techniques available to get wired into muscle memory. Every bit of trim you fiddle with is going to have an effect one way or the other. Just discovered that swerving is pretty useful when sailing downwind. Is it the action with the most immediate response when needed ie. with less delay than just shifting weight forward? (Still sorting it out.)

It's something to do with the lift vector, I know pilots have to be very careful when doing a tightly-banked turn close to ground.

2keen
WA, 160 posts
30 Nov 2020 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
marc5 said..
Bravo--in my dreams!

Jesper, Simon, and other highly skilled foilers......have you found that as your foiling skilled progressed you were able to feel relaxed and at ease as you do on your fin gear? Or, even at your level, do the requirements of fine motor skills put you more on "high alert" constantly?

Thanks and keep the videos coming.

Cheers Marc,
For sure, the more time you spend foiling the more comfortable you become. I'm probably as comfortable on the foil now as I ever was on the fin.
I have been foiling for about 2 1/2 years now, probably 3 or 4 times a week so you can imagine the muscle memory is well and truly ingrained now.

Dean, I've had a few sessions on the new board couple more and I'll post a review

Simon

aeroegnr
75 posts
30 Nov 2020 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ian K said..

It's something to do with the lift vector, I know pilots have to be very careful when doing a tightly-banked turn close to ground.

I think you're talking about accelerated stalls: bruceair.wordpress.com/tag/accelerated-stalls/

You're banked over in a turn and have to ask for more lift out of the wing to support you vertically. At some point, you overcome the lift capability of the wing completely and it stalls, but at a higher speed than when you're straight ahead and just barely going fast enough to support your weight.

For airplanes you can then get into a low altitude spin with zero room to recover. With a foil, you're already taking a bath.

This is a famous incident if you want to see an airplane crash:

michaelpaf
68 posts
3 Dec 2020 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
azymuth said..
Jesper and Simon frothing on the new W114

Cottesloe SW 18-22 knots
Infinity 76 & 65, both on 4.2m

Really faszinating Video. Your style in the wave I could watch and watch and watch....really great. Thanks for creating and sharing.
Guess the i65 makes tons of fun in the waves !
Especially with the 114 and small sails...king of the sea.. keep flying..

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Slingshot Wizard 114 (video)" started by azymuth