Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

NP Glide 2019 Vs Naish Thrust 2018 what to buy>

Created by Bertie > 9 months ago, 24 Sep 2020
Bertie
NSW, 1351 posts
24 Sep 2020 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

Discuss please.

I'm not sure what foil is more user friendly and a budget entry foil.
Looking to potentially have a platform to expand on wings and be able to interchange bits for SUP and Prone (maybe even kite) foiling at some point.

Need to decide soon.

Looking at a Glide with large wing to start instead of the Medium if thats any help.
Has anyone sailed both?
To be mounted to a 2018 Naish Hover 122 board.
Cheers

Bender
WA, 2221 posts
24 Sep 2020 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

Buy my slingshot set up its perfect for what you want. See my add

LeeD
3939 posts
24 Sep 2020 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

At 155 lbs., I went from 1220 wing to 600. Maybe 2 mph diff.
My bud bought Glide S beginning of year, still on it. He is much better than me.
Another bud at 145 lbs. also uses Glide S, can foil jibe after 20 days, but he's a Master freestyle runner up 5 years ago.
We don't change wings.

Grantmac
1953 posts
24 Sep 2020 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

If it was my money I'd get the Glide. They are releasing a lot of different wings and their wings are consistently the least cost.
The 2018 Naish has a very flexible mast and not very good wings from what I read.

martyj4
500 posts
24 Sep 2020 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

Bertie, just be aware that the original Naish mast and mast base is not compatible with the newer stuff. I bought the 2017 1220 cm foil, fuse 70cm mast etc. Then purchased the 2018 (??) 1570cm2 foil with fuse, mast, abracadabra fitting etc. The 70cm mast does fit in the abracadabra, but it's loose and wobbles. The 2018 mast (95 cm) won't fit in the original mast plate/base - only the abracadabra. Given what you're buying is 2018, I'm thinking it SHOULD be future compatible with 2019, 2020 gear but I'd check if I were you.
I have found the 1570cm foil to be much better than the 1220 original. Can't say much about the ones you're comparing sorry.
I've used slingshot stuff (i84) and it seems really good. The fuse on the SS also has some forward/back settings for mast mounting to get the foil mounted in the right position under the board. There's no settings on the Naish fuse to be able to move it around on the mast (1 position only). I'd seriously consider the SS gear. If you have a board with the mast base track configured a fair way back on the board, then it might make it difficult to Sup it or prone surf it as you will likely need the foil to be under you to allow it to fly, and if you can't adjust where the mast attaches to the fuse to move the foil further forwards or back, it might limit what you can do? If the fuse doesn't allow those configurations, then it might not be possible?
Do you have a reason to go Naish only?

Bertie
NSW, 1351 posts
24 Sep 2020 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bender said..

Way out of my price range Bender! But it is a good deal for the gear.
Are you loving your new Axis foil??

CYVRWoody
133 posts
24 Sep 2020 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

If you buy Slingshot make sure that it comes with the pedestal and 4 screws/nuts for the foil mast head. I bought a used one and it came with a tuttle foil mast head only. I had to buy the pedestal and screws - I also bought the powerplate as the board is a powerbox.

Bender
WA, 2221 posts
24 Sep 2020 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bertie said..

Bender said..

Way out of my price range Bender! But it is a good deal for the gear.
Are you loving your new Axis foil??

Yes the axis it better for sup foil surfing and paddle downwinding. The SS is great to windfoil on

Mort67
TAS, 423 posts
27 Sep 2020 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LeeD said..
At 155 lbs., I went from 1220 wing to 600. Maybe 2 mph diff.
My bud bought Glide S beginning of year, still on it. He is much better than me.
Another bud at 145 lbs. also uses Glide S, can foil jibe after 20 days, but he's a Master freestyle runner up 5 years ago.
We don't change wings.

What sort of winds are you sailing in LeeD? I had my first go on a Glide Small yesterday (84kg) with a 4.2m wavesail. Needed all of 18-20+ knots gusts to get going at my guess, more board speed to get flight, less forgiving in the lulls, but great fun as a high wind foil.
Very responsive, carved through swell nicely and more control downwind on swell. I had only sailed the Large until yesterday. Large is great for learning and lighter winds, manageable in higher winds Bertie, guaranteed flight from 8-20 knots.
Mort

LeeD
3939 posts
28 Sep 2020 12:57AM
Thumbs Up

Mort....
Typical 5-17 breezes, too light for windsurfing with 7.0 and 111 Isonic.
Of course, need gusts of 13-15 to get up on foil [600] with 5.2. GlideS foils sooner.
Gust of 20 is too much unless pure upwind. 20 is about when windsurfers with 6.0's, 155 lbs., are actually planing.
1220 foils up sooner, but maybe 1-2 knots slower speed, easily overcome by 2 more pumps.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"NP Glide 2019 Vs Naish Thrust 2018 what to buy>" started by Bertie