Forums > Surfing Longboarding

Macarama Hawaii 2018

Created by MickPC > 9 months ago, 9 Jun 2018
glide77
246 posts
16 Jun 2018 4:22AM
Thumbs Up

Outrigger reef...up the beach towards the marina. In front of Threes....
which is firing now!
ill try swing past tonight once I get the kids in bed!

Macaha
QLD, 21869 posts
16 Jun 2018 6:32AM
Thumbs Up

Oh ok I didn't recall that view no worries we should be at dukes going to see if my mate will be there I'll keep you posted

Macaha
QLD, 21869 posts
16 Jun 2018 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

5 at dukes come meet a mad American

MickPC
8266 posts
16 Jun 2018 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Lives of the rich & famous

glide77
246 posts
16 Jun 2018 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Yep...be there abit later, just gotta get some food in the kids.
yieeew

glide77
246 posts
16 Jun 2018 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

I'll be rocking my new Hawaiian shirt too!

Macaha
QLD, 21869 posts
16 Jun 2018 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Dam we done dukes off for food

Al G
NSW, 7652 posts
16 Jun 2018 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..
Dam we done dukes off for food

Did ya get the Dukes Hula Pie for dessert mate

SP
10978 posts
16 Jun 2018 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Greaa thread. Looks like. Good waves and good times.

Macaha
QLD, 21869 posts
17 Jun 2018 5:29AM
Thumbs Up

glide77
246 posts
17 Jun 2018 5:33AM
Thumbs Up

Great 3 hr session this morning...not exactly sure what they call the spot but it's the first one further down from Pops.
Then met up with Uncle Sam...one of the Hawaiian beach boys who pushed me into my first ever wave 30 years ago!

Best breakfast ever at a place called Heavenly

Swell still hanging in there and plenty of waves!
just watching the local rippers out queens while the kids have a swim.

MickPC
8266 posts
17 Jun 2018 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

One of the blokes that pushed ya into your first waves...in Hawaii.......haha nice

MickPC
8266 posts
17 Jun 2018 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys I'm trying to find an onshore fishing spot within about 30 mins drive from Wikiki to take my father in law this chrissy. There's lots of boat trips, but he did that last time & got boat sick...I'm going to buy him & some other family members fishing rods suitable for flicking off rocks/groyne/jetty.

Do yuz know or could you please find out if the walk down to "Alan Davis Beach" East of Wikiki near the lighthouse is difficult/steep walk for a young child & elderly people

Or there is a good place to go fishing, scenic, reasonably fairly easy access with a swimming spot nearby for non fishing peeps.

Enjoying the thread, cheers

Macaha
QLD, 21869 posts
17 Jun 2018 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

Surfed queens again some nice waves if you pick them,thats a great catch up Glide.

glide77
246 posts
17 Jun 2018 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickPC said..
Hey guys I'm trying to find an onshore fishing spot within about 30 mins drive from Wikiki to take my father in law this chrissy. There's lots of boat trips, but he did that last time & got boat sick...I'm going to buy him & some other family members fishing rods suitable for flicking off rocks/groyne/jetty.

Do yuz know or could you please find out if the walk down to "Alan Davis Beach" East of Wikiki near the lighthouse is difficult/steep walk for a young child & elderly people

Or there is a good place to go fishing, scenic, reasonably fairly easy access with a swimming spot nearby for non fishing peeps.

Enjoying the thread, cheers

Hey there,
there guys fishing most mornings out the front of our hotel..(out rigger reef)..there's like a rock jetty thing that goes out 50m or so. Also seen afew guys on SUPs floating out beyond the breaks...more down near Moana bowls. There's actually heaps of rocky stuff down that way . Have a look on google earth but I'll have a look tomoz if I get down that way.

glide77
246 posts
17 Jun 2018 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

A couple from surf garage...

Great shop with some nice boards...the hand shaped balsa brewers were $9.800usd. Apparently the last ones he's doing himself. Nice selection of christensons...including a couple of his personal riders he leaves there. Picked up a funky true Ames stage 6.....just because I had to buy something!

glide77
246 posts
17 Jun 2018 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..
Surfed queens again some nice waves if you pick them,thats a great catch up Glide.

Yeah was fun to see him again...hopefully still some decent swell in the morning. Definitely worth the paddle out to the outside breaks if there is. Got some rippers this morning. Surfed with the guy who does the surf reports...he was a crazy guy paddling round in circles calling people into waves. Like he had just got back from a dance party and was still peaking! Definitely some interesting characters round this place.

Macaha
QLD, 21869 posts
17 Jun 2018 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Yes some beautiful boards and the owner knows his stuff.

Al G
NSW, 7652 posts
17 Jun 2018 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

Great pics Glide and Mac ya lucky bastardsgood story Glide with Uncle Sam

Hope ya's have got more fun and waves in the days ahead!...

glide77
246 posts
18 Jun 2018 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah some more waves today...3's was and kinda firing....just having a beer and steak at this hidden little gem near 3's....alamoana bowls is still looking good with the short boards ripping and getting some good barrels!

MickPC
8266 posts
18 Jun 2018 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
glide77 said...
Hey there,
there guys fishing most mornings out the front of our hotel..(out rigger reef)..there's like a rock jetty thing that goes out 50m or so. Also seen afew guys on SUPs floating out beyond the breaks...more down near Moana bowls. There's actually heaps of rocky stuff down that way . Have a look on google earth but I'll have a look tomoz if I get down that way.

Oh sweet it must be outside of the exclusivity zone or your allowed to fish there this year. The fishing regulations aren't constant in that area, they are like one year on, one year off or something. Like odd or even years on/off, but there are so many regulations its a bit tricky.

Thanks heaps for that...if you get a chance, could you please ask one of the fisherman if your always allowed to fish there or is it just in season now

That looks perfect, can easily imagine us walking along the beach walk down there with our fishing gear & a beer esky as the sun sets...cheers

glide77
246 posts
18 Jun 2018 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickPC said..

glide77 said...
Hey there,

Oh sweet it must be outside of the exclusivity zone or your allowed to fish there this year. The fishing regulations aren't constant in that area, they are like one year on, one year off or something. Like odd or even years on/off, but there are so many regulations its a bit tricky.

Thanks heaps for that...if you get a chance, could you please ask one of the fisherman if your always allowed to fish there or is it just in season now

That looks perfect, can easily imagine us walking along the beach walk down there with our fishing gear & a beer esky as the sun sets...cheers

Don't know about permits mate. Looks like just locals fishing...I think they give the permits round here

glide77
246 posts
18 Jun 2018 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickPC said..

glide77 said...
Hey there,

Don't know about permits mate. Looks like just locals fishing...I think they give the permits round here

MickPC
8266 posts
18 Jun 2018 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers for the piccy....yeah you don't need a (license) permit for saltwater fishing, just freshwater.

I was concerned about this, "The Waik?k?-Diamond Head Shoreline Fisheries Management Area extends from the ewa wall of the Waik?k? War Memorial Natatorium to the Diamond Head Lighthouse, from the highwater mark out to a minimum seaward distance of 500 yards, or to the seaward edge of the fringing reef if one occurs beyond 500 yards."

dlnr.hawaii.gov/dar/fishing/fishing-regulations/regulated-areas/regulated-fishing-areas-on-oahu/#waikiki-diamond-head-shoreline-fisheries-management-area

The map from that link is really vague, must be that groyne in the map is the one out front of your hotel

glide77
246 posts
18 Jun 2018 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Still some fun ones rolling through this arvo...

Still some good size...that pic is about 400- 500m out.

Macaha
QLD, 21869 posts
18 Jun 2018 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Best south swell in years s they are calling

glide77
246 posts
19 Jun 2018 6:29AM
Thumbs Up

Another fun one at pops this morning. Swapped my board over last night for a 10ft Misk surftech, which was a cracker...heaps more lively than the 9,9 tak double ender.
Big ups for KOA who make it super easy and have a free board locker and wash down area 24hr too.

MickPC
8266 posts
19 Jun 2018 6:42AM
Thumbs Up

Looks really nice, how big is it

Just got a message this morning from my sister in law We're heading off on the 28th Dec till 6th Jan. Staying at the Sheralton which is just a hop step & a jump from that fishing spot 5 nights Wikiki, 4 nights somewhere on the North Shore after the family head back home. Froth'n

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
19 Jun 2018 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickPC said..
Looks really nice, how big is it

Just got a message this morning from my sister in law We're heading off on the 28th Dec till 6th Jan. Staying at the Sheralton which is just a hop step & a jump from that fishing spot 5 nights Wikiki, 4 nights somewhere on the North Shore after the family head back home. Froth'n

I can recommend Ki Iki Beach Bungalows... 10min beach walk from Pipe - 2min to Sharks Cove.. and walking distance from the Shops and Food Trucks. Look them up.

MickPC
8266 posts
19 Jun 2018 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks mate, will check it out. Last time I looked using bookingdotcom everything was down to one room left except turtle bay resort, so planning to book in the next couple of days

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Macarama Hawaii 2018" started by MickPC