Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Axis new "B" series foils and 980 front wing

Created by wicka > 9 months ago, 21 Nov 2020
wicka
VIC, 84 posts
21 Nov 2020 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hey everyone, I've seen a few posts floating around online with what looks to be a new black fuselage labeled the "B series" also a new 980 wing that looks great! Has anyone had a play on it or has any info? Cheers.

baldy123
WA, 389 posts
21 Nov 2020 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

Smaller fuse head and thinner wings.
Double the price to upgrade from S-Series.

www.instagram.com/p/CH0IZtNjiqC/?igshid=1te45dp5lywzk

goggo
NSW, 355 posts
22 Nov 2020 7:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
baldy123 said..
Smaller fuse head and thinner wings.
Double the price to upgrade from S-Series.

www.instagram.com/p/CH0IZtNjiqC/?igshid=1te45dp5lywzk

Backwards compatible? If not sealed the deal for me to shift brands.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
22 Nov 2020 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Jesus is it just me or is axis is just pumping out way too many options. It's like we are paying lab rats.

DWF
565 posts
22 Nov 2020 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
Jesus is it just me or is axis is just pumping out way too many options. It's like we are paying lab rats.

Or....this sport is advancing so FAST, you better lead the way, or get out of the way, because you will get run over.

Holoholo
185 posts
23 Nov 2020 2:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Ohhhh law'd nooooooo..... not too many options!

$ave me from my$elf.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
23 Nov 2020 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DWF said..

eppo said..

Or....this sport is advancing so FAST, you better lead the way, or get out of the way, because you will get run over.

Well there is a brand that already runs over axis well and truly performance Wise and they don't have the thousands of options.
quantity does not mean quality and I'm not talking about manufacturing quality because you can't fault axis on that.

it just seems to me (and I could be well and truly wrong) that the consumer is the product development guinea pig here and it must be a nightmare for retailers to stock all these options.
id rather more in house product testing and a sensible array of options myself.

anyhow ...keep riding my axis and watch the millions of changes come and go I suppose.

scotty100
QLD, 233 posts
24 Nov 2020 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

And if axis only released gear once a year like big players you would all bitch that its not often enough. Consumerism in the 20's is very demanding and you will never please everyone.

flkiter
84 posts
24 Nov 2020 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

To me it seems like Axis asks their riders what they want and where they want to go with the several foil sports and conditions that are out there and then stuff starts getting designed for it. I'm really stoked on the 980 black series. For winging, it's what I was missing. I remember testing the 860/760 a while back and as much as I loved riding those foils, they didn't match my conditions all the time so not all foils work for all conditions all the time. Having variety is great. It's like playing a video game, you get to customize your ride for the stuff you're going to play in that day. Also as riders advance, the gear is going to do the same. I've dropped board size and wind wing size.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
24 Nov 2020 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

don't get the wrong I love my axis gear but how much better are all these options making things ? Incremental or quantum jumps ? If not, why not have further prototype testing (with their so called "riders"until some real game changers are afoot. Less coin for consumers and they know they are moving into something far better. But I get it, the sport is changing rapidly and so is the differentiation.

anyhow enough uneducated moaning from me ...
what's the "black" series all about ?

and why is the black series "what you were waiting for " ?

using your past gear to compare. That info would be appreciated.

...smaller fuse head and thinner wings sounds a lot like the superior brand I was talking about. Again supporting my argument above..... last whine promise.

martyman
WA, 314 posts
24 Nov 2020 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

Dude whatever, Adrian and his crew are having the time of their lives and I'm along for the ride!

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
24 Nov 2020 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Okay fan boy ... lol.

flkiter
84 posts
25 Nov 2020 1:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
don't get the wrong I love my axis gear but how much better are all these options making things ? Incremental or quantum jumps ? If not, why not have further prototype testing (with their so called "riders"until some real game changers are afoot. Less coin for consumers and they know they are moving into something far better. But I get it, the sport is changing rapidly and so is the differentiation.

...smaller fuse head and thinner wings sounds a lot like the superior brand I was talking about. Again supporting my argument above..... last whine promise.

The guys at Axis figured out a way to make a great wave riding foil that has the ability to get up wind quickly with very little pressure in your hands while holding a wing. Plus it has really good low end speed so you don't need to be juiced up to be on a fast foil. So it's like ease of use and stability of a bigger surf foil with the speed of a race foil.

For me it's perfect cause I'm not going out for down winders so this allows me to get tons of runs in and stay up wind without using my energy up doing so.

Holoholo
185 posts
25 Nov 2020 2:57AM
Thumbs Up

How about off the wing in the waves? I'm hoping this may have some application in the surf as a speed demon pumping monster.... kind of similar to the Lift HA 200. Hoping we see a 880 which I suppose would be similar to the Lift HA 170. Heaps of love for those out there.

flkiter
84 posts
25 Nov 2020 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Excellent off the wing. I think the down wind race guys are really going to like the 980. I get into ocean swell and just go forever with the wing behind me till I want to go back up wind.

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
25 Nov 2020 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone have some strava activities showing the speeds of the 980 ? Very keen to compare.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
25 Nov 2020 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
flkiter said..

eppo said..

The guys at Axis figured out a way to make a great wave riding foil that has the ability to get up wind quickly with very little pressure in your hands while holding a wing. Plus it has really good low end speed so you don't need to be juiced up to be on a fast foil. So it's like ease of use and stability of a bigger surf foil with the speed of a race foil.

For me it's perfect cause I'm not going out for down winders so this allows me to get tons of runs in and stay up wind without using my energy up doing so.

ah that sounds ideal!! cheers.

Thatspec
327 posts
25 Nov 2020 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hey FL Kiter,
Tell us your all up weight please. I'm sure you've mentioned in a prior post but I've forgotten...

flkiter
84 posts
26 Nov 2020 12:25AM
Thumbs Up

About 170 lbs 5'11", I ride a 90 liter 5'1 DWF board for winging. I had a guy on a 6'6" kalama yesterday and he's about 210 lbs and it was 15-20 knots and he loved it so they have solved great range.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
26 Nov 2020 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

Just tested my new Black fuse & 980 with cut down flat rear . What a weapon .

mikesids
131 posts
27 Nov 2020 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Piros- what's the span on your cut down stabiliser, and how well did it match with the 980? Any issues / quirks ?

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
27 Nov 2020 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

400mm probably go to 350mm the wings are solid no core on ends so just cut with hacksaw and light sand all done . I don't like big tails they are slower with a longer pump arc , plus when you are really lite larger tails plane up and cause a breach . You get get a shorter pumping arc with a shorter tail which creates more speed plus it turns much tighter . For DW or lighter wing ding days that's the only time I'd use a lager rear .

HBsups
79 posts
28 Nov 2020 7:02AM
Thumbs Up

Piros - How about some more details on the 980's performance?! Don't leave us in suspense!

JulOZ
WA, 4 posts
28 Nov 2020 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guy's how does the 980 compare to the 1010? Or is it closure to the 860.
Just bought the 1010 maybe worth trading in for the 980 black series's ??

Thatspec
327 posts
28 Nov 2020 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

Does anybody here have any pics, links or other info on the new larger sized HPS series 1050? Or the new 1300 which appears to be in the same series as the 910, 1010, 1150?

All I have to go on so far is this forum post from the German distributor.

oaseforum.de/showthread.php?p=1409818

Julzperth, the 1010 is an awesome wing. I would just use it and be happy (I will because I own one). At this point the performance increases are becoming so small compared to the price increases... It's like building up a lightweight bicycle, removing the last 250 grams costs thousands. It's interesting to see the bleeding edge of technology pushed but it's wasted on me, I can generally make anything work... ymmv

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
28 Nov 2020 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
julzperth said..

The 980 is a really high performance wing. It's built for speed and will match any of the really fast DW wings . Can't be compared to the 860 Surf wing. Comparing it to the 1010 it's got less low end lift but far greater speed and carry through the flats and carrying you over the bump in front. If you feel you can't get the start speed and lift out of the 1010 or you need to use the 1150 the 980 is not for you. It's for the guys that max out on the 1010 but you need more carry than the 900 , 910 or 1000 . The new Black Fuse connection means now Axis can make incredibly thin leading edges and narrower cord and that's where the party starts, it all about speed . If you have your pump game on the new Black wings are going to deliver serious speed and mega pump distances.

Big question do I buy the new Black fuse ?... I say yes it's only around $390 and it unleashes a whole new range of wings , tons more coming out and your old set up will still have it's place in low wind ding , plus Sup & prone days. The 980 is not the magic bullet to turn you into a pump downwind king , it takes some skill to ride and pump a super high aspect wing but it's where you want to be . Axis has delivered and the rest is up to you .

emmafoils
307 posts
28 Nov 2020 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..

julzperth said..

The 980 is a really high performance wing. It's built for speed and will match any of the really fast DW wings . Can't be compared to the 860 Surf wing. Comparing it to the 1010 it's got less low end lift but far greater speed and carry through the flats and carrying you over the bump in front. If you feel you can't get the start speed and lift out of the 1010 or you need to use the 1150 the 980 is not for you. It's for the guys that max out on the 1010 but you need more carry than the 900 , 910 or 1000 . The new Black Fuse connection means now Axis can make incredibly thin leading edges and narrower cord and that's where the party starts, it all about speed . If you have your pump game on the new Black wings are going to deliver serious speed and mega pump distances.

Big question do I buy the new Black fuse ?... I say yes it's only around $390 and it unleashes a whole new range of wings , tons more coming out and your old set up will still have it's place in low wind & Sup days. The 980 is not the magic bullet to turn you into a pump downwind king , it takes some skill to ride and pump a super high aspect wing but it's where you want to be . Axis has delivered and the rest is up to you .

Great post. Puts things in perspective nicely. For someone just starting DW paddling, what foil would you recommend? The 1020 or 1150?

broVan
109 posts
28 Nov 2020 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

I just got my 980 but haven't ridden yet. Here are some comparison pics to the 1010 and the 1150.

Thatspec
327 posts
28 Nov 2020 11:56PM
Thumbs Up

Nice shots Brovan, thanks! What's the thickness in cm of the 980?

Looking forward to seeing some real world numbers of average speeds while winging and/or downwinding.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
29 Nov 2020 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
emmafoils said..

Piros said..

julzperth said..

Big question do I buy the new Black fuse ?... I say yes it's only around $390 and it unleashes a whole new range of wings , tons more coming out and your old set up will still have it's place in low wind & Sup days. The 980 is not the magic bullet to turn you into a pump downwind king , it takes some skill to ride and pump a super high aspect wing but it's where you want to be . Axis has delivered and the rest is up to you .

Great post. Puts things in perspective nicely. For someone just starting DW paddling, what foil would you recommend? The 1020 or 1150?

1150 has more early lift and control of the 1020 and much faster more efficient .

Youngbreezy
WA, 938 posts
29 Nov 2020 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

1150 has more early lift and control of the 1020 and much faster more efficient .

Which will get foiling sooner on the wing ding, the 1010 or the 1020?

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Axis new "B" series foils and 980 front wing" started by wicka