Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

Lancelin Down Winder looking light - Saturday

Created by Quinnny > 9 months ago, 12 Jan 2017
Quinnny
12 posts
12 Jan 2017 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

Guys, would be interested in your thoughts on the Lancelin down winder. Weather forecast is looking light, my biggest kite is an 11m (I weight 87kg), will the race be rescheduled if it continues to be blowing as forecasted?

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
12 Jan 2017 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Forecast looks crap, it might improve...

15 knots might be enough for a reduced but competitive field of kiters but probably not for the poleys. As it's a poley race first and foremost it might ultimately get held off until Sunday for that reason.

There's pretty much no chance they will make a decision early if something of a seabreeze is forecast, they will progress on the basis the race will go ahead at the preferred start time if there is enough wind. If there isn't then they will delay it an hour or two to see if the breeze comes in late. It's a fluid process, they want to run the race as early as possible in the day but also want enough wind so everyone kills it on the water. They won't want it run too late in the afternoon as they can't have the tail enders coming in too late and worst case start a search for anyone missing as dusk approaches.

They will keep delaying it on Saturday afternoon then when they get to that cut-off time then they will reschedule to Sunday.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
12 Jan 2017 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

spoke to charlie yesterday and the plan is still on for sat. like chris said they will make you hang around until 2:30pm when the time limit is for the race start . previous years it just kicks in . my bet is it will come in around 18 knots at about 1:30

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
12 Jan 2017 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Dusta, I couldn't remember the cut-off time. I think some of the tail-enders take about 3 hours? which leaves only 2 hours of daylight to account for every competitor, search for anyone stuck out there and get all the boats and volunteers back in.

Jono77
WA, 348 posts
12 Jan 2017 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

I reckon in the last 4 years there has been worse forecasts and it ran. Only one year they postponed and was postponed because it blew easterly less than 5 knots all day.

I reckon it's a reasonable forecast and my bet is that it will run with a good breeze. Polies will be fine. Big sails and big boards.

Torch
WA, 521 posts
16 Jan 2017 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

I did it on my 8m and tiny twin tip as my other bigger kite bladders decided to pack it in on the day

Had to work for it but still no dramas

tightlines
WA, 3467 posts
18 Jan 2017 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Torch said..
I did it on my 8m and tiny twin tip as my other bigger kite bladders decided to pack it in on the day

Had to work for it but still no dramas

Gees that would have been tough, you might have been next to me on the beach at the start as there was someone with an 8, I was on a 16mtr kite and was comfortably powered.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Lancelin Down Winder looking light - Saturday" started by Quinnny