Forums > Kitesurfing The Hookup

Rodrigues Island - Kite Festival 25th - 29th June

Created by Kiteadventure7 > 9 months ago, 23 Feb 2014
Kiteadventure7
WA, 1 posts
23 Feb 2014 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

Gday,

Heading over to Rodrigues Island in June for the kite fest and competition. Where is it I hear you say? Here are some facts and figures, it is like Bali used to be like back in the early 80's. No stress, no one trying to sell you ** or steal your stuff when your out kite surfing. Andy from Tryst Kite school conducts kite surfaris that involve 2 nights camping, down winders, fishing, snorkeling etc.... Have booked a house that can sleep six (got two spaces free) also plenty of other options available. I spent 14 days there in January. Its great for beginners to advanced, flat water in the lagoon, waves on the outer reef. The game fishing is insane, dog tooth tuna and monster trevally. Any way if any one is keen for adventure let me know.... Tight lines

Rodrigues Island Facts:

??Volcanic Island 12kms long, 5 km wide ? sits on coral atoll
??Population: 25,000 spoken language: French/Cr?ole
??10 hours flight from Perth via Mauritius $1850.00 return economy. No visa required.
??Currency ? Euros and Mauritian Rupee, 3 x ATM?s on Island
??4 star guesthouse A$60/night including breakfast and dinner
??House: sleeps 6-8 people A$156/night, self-catering with maid to cook/clean
??Fishing charters: cheapest one was A$500/day takes 6 people. Marlin, Wahoo, Dog tooth Tuna, Monster Trevally
??3 x Scuba dive clubs, snorkelling awesome, take own gear. (visibility awesome)
??Car hire A$35/day Scooter A$14/day
??Bus tickets A$1.20 each way ? the hub is Mount Lubin highest part of the island.
??Fish and Lobster @ the beach BBQ?s fresh and cheap. Fresh Coconuts everywhere. Fresh chicken running around as well.
??Bottled water 50cents a bottle, 500ml soft drinks 50cents each
??Cold Beer $1.40 can or stubby (only Phoenix Beer available, it?s better than VB or XXXX)
??Capital is Port Mathurin ? this is where the main market is for fruit and veg and meat. Some restaurants and bars
??Day trips to the outer islands with snorkelling and BBQ lunch and beers/local punch cost A$40

Kitesurfing:

??Wind Season May ? Dec
??3 x kite schools, only one worth rating is Tryst Kiting (Andy)
??Beaches are only south eastern side of island
??Lagoon is flat water. When the wind picks up about half metre chop to out closer to the reef.
??Reef is closest to the island on eastern end. 1-2m swells most day
??Down-wind kitesurfari?s including 2 nights camping, equipment, food, safety boat and transport A$180 (4 ? 6 kiters required)
??Day down winders available with safety boat (4 -6 kiters)
??Kite Festival 25th ? 29th June

Surfing:

??Surfing is available at western end of the island (airport end). Near Little Cocos Island on the sand bar. Need and least a 2m swell to make it pump.
??Boat required to take you out to the swell. A$ 10 - 15

kernal
WA, 541 posts
8 Apr 2014 12:06AM
Thumbs Up

any cheaper long term accomodation say for 4 months ? a mauritian friend allways tells me i must go here but he also told me i needed permission from a local to live on the island for extended period.

kernal
WA, 541 posts
10 Apr 2014 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

just gonna dump your sales pitch and leave me high and dry here ay?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing The Hookup

"Rodrigues Island - Kite Festival 25th - 29th June" started by Kiteadventure7