Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

Sandgate Warning

Created by o2ezy > 9 months ago, 27 Nov 2009
o2ezy
14 posts
27 Nov 2009 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Did anyone see or take caution to this sign. This is the first time i have seen it. Does anyone know about it?

Fact sheet on Blue-green algae
http://www.btny.purdue.edu/Pubs/APM/blue-green_factsheet.pdf

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
27 Nov 2009 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

We have had these blooms for about a week now. So far nobody has shown any symptoms of them being toxic.
Little is known about the percent of blooms that are toxic (up to 25% quoted in literature), and also why a toxic population is produced. A complicating factor is that part of a bloom can be toxic and another part nontoxic within the same lake. It has been suggested that toxic strains may develop only under a particular set of environmental conditions, or that toxin production may be associated with plasmid-mediated gene transfer.

mantis5
QLD, 159 posts
27 Nov 2009 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

yeah mate they're all along the espy at sandgate.. But when the wind is on... a sign isn't going to deter people from kiting..

My advice... Maroochydore or Noosa river mouth over the weekend.

terryzarmzof
QLD, 336 posts
28 Nov 2009 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

been out in it all week, no problem except if have 10 beers i get nausea and a headache in the morning!

abeachsw
8 posts
1 Dec 2009 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

It looks like the H&S Council Nazis were out in force last week, as they've also closed off the main rigging area "for regeneration"... It's a bloody grassy patch of nothingness next to a beach.... what the hell do they think will grow there?

There's a tiny bit of Blue Green in the water, but certainly nothing to be worried about! More of an issue for kids playing in the mud.

I'm more concerned that there were a heap of kites still rigging up on the boxed off area... unsure what the do-gooders would make of that.

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
2 Dec 2009 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

You get these signs most years around this time... Never heard of anyone having a drama yet.

About the rigging area - I'm pretty sure the short grass area right next to the sand is ok - it's just the thicker grass around the path and tree line that's blocked off.

The council have kindly left us a 20m x 5m section to set up with at high tide...

nathand
QLD, 211 posts
4 Dec 2009 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

nobody knows what it is so they dont worry about it, if your fingernails fall off you know you have it.

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
6 Dec 2009 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

Lol - Signs are gone already!!

mantis5
QLD, 159 posts
9 Dec 2009 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

they're not in the back of your car are they rhys!

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
9 Dec 2009 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe lol nah - I didn't care that they were there anyway!

freedomtrail
QLD, 66 posts
18 Dec 2009 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

the signs are back, hopefully the wind and the waves (chop) will disperse it.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

"Sandgate Warning" started by o2ezy