Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

Nudgee to Brighton Beach officially closed

Created by SurfConnect > 9 months ago, 30 Jan 2011
SurfConnect
QLD, 1674 posts
30 Jan 2011 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Brisbane City Council has officially informed us this morning that that due to a sewage leak yesterday late arvo, all beaches from Nudgee to Brighton is closed until further notice. Water tests this morning reveal there is high level of contamination in the water, reading 30%+ above safety level. They strongly do not advise anyone to be in contact with the water in these area until further notice.

If you feel sick or any existing wounds swelling, go and see a doctor immediately.

SUPSurferQLD
QLD, 314 posts
2 Feb 2011 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Official info on the Moreton Bay Beaches,

statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/Id/73459

SurfConnect
QLD, 1674 posts
2 Feb 2011 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

That was from Sunday. Council is meeting again tomorrow (Thursday) to re-assess whether the closure is to remain or lifted. The water today was amazingly clean, able to see through around a meter deep. And it looks blue! Hope it's good news tomorrow, we have tons of lessons on standby.

CheeseBurger
QLD, 31 posts
4 Feb 2011 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh my first lesson is this weekend and I'm extremely keen and already monitoring the winds. The water should be fine, the salt would of killed off anything after this long.

CheeseBurger
QLD, 31 posts
4 Feb 2011 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Checking the surf connect webcam, there are already a few kites up at Sandgate. I guess that means its open now.

JonKP
QLD, 39 posts
4 Feb 2011 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Beach is still officially closed and will remain so over the weekend. Progressive samples have confirmed a drop in toxisity but not to a safe level as yet. Samples were taken yesterday and will be taken again on monday. The results of samples will be reviewd again on wednesday of next week when we will find out what they decide.

After many calls to various council departments I found someone who knew what was going on and could give me the above time frame. I will post more when i hear in on Wednesday. We will not be teaching until we recieve a positive result.

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
4 Feb 2011 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

Good to see your dealing with it responsibly. Hope everyone else does the same thing. There may be no problems but why take the chance.

JonKP said...

Beach is still officially closed and will remain so over the weekend. Progressive samples have confirmed a drop in toxisity but not to a safe level as yet. Samples were taken yesterday and will be taken again on monday. The results of samples will be reviewd again on wednesday of next week when we will find out what they decide.

After many calls to various council departments I found someone who knew what was going on and could give me the above time frame. I will post more when i hear in on Wednesday. We will not be teaching until we recieve a positive result.

CheeseBurger
QLD, 31 posts
4 Feb 2011 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Is there another beach you can hold lessons at? Redcliffe or somewhere south?

JonKP
QLD, 39 posts
5 Feb 2011 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

All redcliffe beaches are closed also. Plus none of them are safe environments for lessons, this is why we teach at Brighton/Sandgate. Maybe you could get a lesson at the Sunshine coast or Gold Coast. Raw Industries in Gold Coast or try Sunshine Coast Kiteboarding for up the coast.

terryzarmzof
QLD, 336 posts
5 Feb 2011 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

yeah the water was a little nutty yesterday

mofo
QLD, 91 posts
6 Feb 2011 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

terryzarmzof said...

yeah the water was a little nutty yesterday

still picking chunks of corn out of my teeth

SurfConnect
QLD, 1674 posts
6 Feb 2011 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Had a call on Friday, Nudgee beach was officially re-opened. RRU was sent to take all closure signage off. Very few debris around, with water nearly back to normal state. Remaining beaches should follow suit in the next few days.

SUPSurferQLD
QLD, 314 posts
11 Feb 2011 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

SurfConnect said...

Had a call on Friday, Nudgee beach was officially re-opened. RRU was sent to take all closure signage off. Very few debris around, with water nearly back to normal state. Remaining beaches should follow suit in the next few days.

Now we just need some wind. [}:)]

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
21 Feb 2011 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

So is Sandgate still open or now closed again????????

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

"Nudgee to Brighton Beach officially closed" started by SurfConnect