Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

North Straddie - underrated?

Created by TitoBR > 9 months ago, 29 Sep 2016
TitoBR
QLD, 6 posts
29 Sep 2016 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all!

Any reason why we don't see many comments about North Straddie over here? I've kited there about 1 month ago in a northerly and the place is amazing (good wind, beautiful, safe launching/landing, no crowds...). Recently we had many days with strong northerlies also...

I was just wondering if I am missing something, as I just arrived over here.

I know that there might be sharks over there, but that's pretty much everywhere as far as I heard....

Anyone have more information about the spot?

Thanks all and good winds!

Tito

QLD, 115 posts
29 Sep 2016 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

I've worked on north Stradbroke and it looks awesome. Never kited there but cylinder beach looks like it'd be 9/10 on a northerly. Bit surprised it's not mentioned more often. Access to the island by barge makes it logistically a bit tough. Think most people would find it great if they tried it.

Tractorguy
TAS, 542 posts
3 Oct 2016 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TitoBR said..
Hi all!

Any reason why we don't see many comments about North Straddie over here? I've kited there about 1 month ago in a northerly and the place is amazing (good wind, beautiful, safe launching/landing, no crowds...). Recently we had many days with strong northerlies also...

I was just wondering if I am missing something, as I just arrived over here.

I know that there might be sharks over there, but that's pretty much everywhere as far as I heard....

Anyone have more information about the spot?

Thanks all and good winds!

Tito

Maybe cause not many get there to kite, its fickle , IMO, current, even in a northerly can be a challenge, you can launch at cylinder and within no time be at Adder. Main on the first or second day day of a southerly change can be fun though.
For the flat water lovers get to kite island between NSI and Moreton.

Main
QLD, 2325 posts
5 Oct 2016 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

Pain in the ass to get there and back because you have to catch a barge at a certain time

Also takes a few hours door to beach if you live in Bris or GC

Also barge costs about $80 to get over

Also can be snarky with strong sweeps (at Cylinder)

Too many other easier options....

gcdave
534 posts
5 Oct 2016 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Wouldn't mind doing cylinders with a big low off fnq

Main beach has a heap of sweep but at least it gets 5+ knot more then then the goldie seaway reading. Worth the coin for a weekend punt, camp at cylinders and 4wd access south of the slsc

TitoBR
QLD, 6 posts
6 Oct 2016 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the feedback, chaps.

Still reckon it worth the effort in big days - the place is awesome.

Weekend looks good, especially sunday morning. +20knots south-easterlies promissed. Probably checking out the GC for the first time...

Catch you around.

Good winds!

flyingcab
VIC, 942 posts
8 Oct 2016 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tractorguy said..
For the flat water lovers get to kite island between NSI and Moreton.

Been there, done that. There is an extra sneaky flat water location nearby if you do some searching.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

"North Straddie - underrated?" started by TitoBR