Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

Mackay Town Beach hazards

Created by Ercorn > 9 months ago, 16 Jan 2013
Ercorn
QLD, 199 posts
16 Jan 2013 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

While my wife was down at Town Beach Mackay, around 3 pm, today playing with our two year old. A father and son came down and pumped up their kites. The son launched his father's kite then went on to drag launch his kite in front of my wife and son, his lines went over the top of both of them.

There was not much wind and both kiters were struggling to keep their kites in the air, neither of them were good pilots. Luckily my wife has done a few kite surfing lessons and was sensible enough to get out of the way, but she was shocked at audacity of these two people, who had minimum kite control, to drag launch in front of a pregnant women, and a two year old, who had already been playing in the same spot for the last hour.

So to these two people:

You are NOT the only people using the beach, so have a little respect for other beach users.

I have seen the younger person on other days crashing his kite among other beach users, but until now have not said anything. He is an accident waiting to happen, and I will make a point of saying something next time this goes on.

Dad you are responsible for your sons action, and, ultimately, you will be responsible as his guardian for any damage or injury he causes.

It does not take much of an effort to launch away from other beach users, and I believe it is common courtesy. I do it and I expect others to do it as well.

Further, if you find that your while you are kitesurfing you are constantly crashing you kite on the beach it may be a sensible thing to kite a little further upwind. This will save damaging your kite, and keep other beach users safe.

RANT OVER.

suface2air
QLD, 701 posts
17 Jan 2013 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

and both you or your wife said nothing to them . Ok ok not defending them but some people need a little reminder to what they are doing ,no use just coming on here and ranting they might not even be a seabreeze member . i kite by myself most of the time so if i stuff up i will lost my spot .any one that dose come here i tell them before they even look like pumping up dont f**k it up for me you are a vistor and i live here and have to deal with your actions other wise they are told poiletly to go to another spot . It is UP TO US to keep it all under control

Ercorn
QLD, 199 posts
17 Jan 2013 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

suface2air said...
and both you or your wife said nothing to them . Ok ok not defending them but some people need a little reminder to what they are doing ,no use just coming on here and ranting they might not even be a seabreeze member . i kite by myself most of the time so if i stuff up i will lost my spot .any one that dose come here i tell them before they even look like pumping up dont f**k it up for me you are a vistor and i live here and have to deal with your actions other wise they are told poiletly to go to another spot . It is UP TO US to keep it all under control

Actually, I wasn't there, but as soon as I got home I went looking for the dude,but could not find him. Hence the rant.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

"Mackay Town Beach hazards" started by Ercorn