Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

Enough of UNSAFE kiters

Created by ndvk > 9 months ago, 23 Feb 2014
ndvk
QLD, 15 posts
23 Feb 2014 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Unfortunately being that the gold coast seems to be increasingly full of ridiculously unsafe novice kiteboarders, it is only logical that someone address these issues in a drastic attempt to save the integrity of our sport, as well as the health and safety of riders and beach goers everywhere. Ready for a good rant?
-
-
WHAT THE HELL is with all the board-leashed hacks clogging up lodders and shearwater this season???? It absolutely baffles my mind that there are so many people who have a clear disregard for their own safety and as a result continue to use this utterly stupid and dangerous piece of equipment, while making a mockery of kiteboarding.
-
-
Today at shearwater a young boy, (after being hot launched by his father in 30knts, clearly not giving a damn about his son’s safety or having any clue how to kite safely himself), came in hysterical after his board leash slingshotted his board into his leg rendering him unable to weight bear at all. In tears, his father carried him to the car, and when a concerned kiter offered assistance and advice regarding the dangers of using a board leash, he disregarded the evidence, refusing to take responsibility for his son’s careless injury. This is only one example, I see it every single time I go out now and its just pathetic. Honestly, how can anyone even be this stupid? The simplicity of the matter only leads to one conclusion – people are NOT getting lessons by certified or EXPERIENCED kiters, and additionally don’t have brains inside their skulls.
-
-
If you can’t use common sense to figure out why board leashes are dangerous, here’s a little step-by-step action sequence for you (on the principles of basic physics): You crash. Kite pulls DOWNWIND. You go DOWNWIND with the kite. Bungee cord leash STRETCHES. Board stays UPWIND, board leash tightens as you travel downwind, until tension maxes out and then what happens????!! The board has no where to go but DOWNWIND !!! where are you?? DOWNWIND!!! So you get a perfect smash in your leg or back if you’re lucky. I know 3 people personally who have had a nice big edge in the head from this exact event, resulting in traumatic brain injuries, never being able to work or ride again, and from then on needing someone to cook their meals and wipe their ass.
-
-
OH, and also, what the hell is wearing a board leash even getting you? Besides half ass skills that don’t include BODY DRAGGING upwind??? When you learned to drive an effing car did you just not learn how to turn left? You are missing an insanely important skill if you are too lazy to body drag to your board. NO IKO school uses board leashes, as they are discredited. Any person teaching with one should be banned from the sport. Any shop selling board leashes should be ashamed of themselves. Any person using one should open their eyes and see that NO EXPERIENCED KITER USES A BOARD LEASH. Look around, people. Seriously. You put us at risk of getting banned by councils if you get injured (we are already on the edge with them) and you look like a total dickhead using one.
-
-
Kite shops selling gear to people who have never kited before, without mention of the complexity of the equipment or how important it is to get lessons should be shut down. Kiteboarding is not for everyone, especially people who are too daft to accurately assess the steep learning curve and risk involved in the sport. Those of us who have been doing this for years are damn sick of new freaks thinking they can just buy random equipment on ebay, come and do dangerous **** on our beaches and be a dickhead just because they are too cheap to get lessons.
-
-
ADDITIONALLY - without lessons, no one has the chance to tell you proper kiteboarding etiquette. So CHECK IT:
1) The person flying the kite is in control of the launch. The person holding your kite is not responsible for your ****ty launch, it is up to YOU to get in the right position (ie. NOT upwind of the person holding your kite)
2) kiters launching have right of way over those coming into the beach from the water. If you want to come in, and see someone launching, do another tack.
3) ON THE WATER: person on the starboard tack has the right of way.
4) ON THE WATER: if you are upwind of someone, put your kite UP. If you are downwind of someone, put your kite DOWN. makes for easy passing. not rocket science.
5) DO NOT jump unless you have 50m clear space downwind.
6) CHECK behind you before you turn.
-
-
So here’s the point. You wear a board leash, or demonstrate unsafe practices on the kite beach or in the water that cause risk to other kiters or anyone else, you will be told. It is our responsibility to keep kiting SAFE and FUN and minimise risk through teaching proper technique to level headed people. We are all completely sick of this stuff happening, and unsafe kiters will be advised to either alter practices to be safe, or go do their dangerous **** elsewhere. I don’t give a crap if people think its harsh, deal with it princess.
-
-
Kiteboarding is our life, and we all just wanna have fun. Anyone who is unsure of what to do, find an experienced kiter and they will be be glad to give you advice and help you learn the RIGHT way. HOWEVER, unsafe kiters who have an ego problem are NOT WELCOME and you will get an earful if you are disregarding your own or others’ safety. If you are unsure of what safe practices are, JUST ASK SOMEONE, and you get instant respect.

jules333
QLD, 14 posts
23 Feb 2014 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Bit of an over reaction, however, can't say I disagree.
One of the very many reasons I avoid these places now together with some big mouthed hero's!
Such a pity the good ol days have gone from loaders. I only hope common sense prevails for the future of the sport we are all so passionate about and we can all kite in harmony wherever we like, safely and without the bull*** attitude from a very select few.

stormgod
QLD, 137 posts
23 Feb 2014 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Ndvk... im with you all the. Fu?k off the board leashes. And the dick heads with go pro camera, life jackets and board leashes they should learn kiting before before photography.

ndvk
QLD, 15 posts
23 Feb 2014 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
glendog said..

Gleno, this is the best thing i've ever seen. what a hack.

love ya bud

glendog
QLD, 520 posts
23 Feb 2014 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

So many people out there with no idea. its bad enough on a normal day but when its 30 knots and theres people flinging their kites left and right all over the place without even knowing how to stop it is pretty crazy. somebody got their kite tangled up in the power lines today aswell as their body dragged up the rocks. i recon i saw 10 people with leashes today. one of em was skimming across the water like a stone most of the day with his board dragging behind him. when another kiter went to give him some advise he said he knew what he was doing. all gotta start somewhere i guess and i was the same when i started but soon learned what not to do. its all good untill they start crashing into other kiters or random people on the beach.

dafunk
QLD, 559 posts
23 Feb 2014 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Some just don't listen ? Glad I left before the carnage .

stormgod
QLD, 137 posts
23 Feb 2014 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

If they need a board leash they should not be kiting. They need to go back to their instructor and learn how to body drag.

stevenjewell
QLD, 9 posts
23 Feb 2014 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
glendog said..

So many people out there with no idea. its bad enough on a normal day but when its 30 knots and theres people flinging their kites left and right all over the place without even knowing how to stop it is pretty crazy. somebody got their kite tangled up in the power lines today aswell as their body dragged up the rocks. i recon i saw 10 people with leashes today. one of em was skimming across the water like a stone most of the day with his board dragging behind him. when another kiter went to give him some advise he said he knew what he was doing. all gotta start somewhere i guess and i was the same when i started but soon learned what not to do. its all good untill they start crashing into other kiters or random people on the beach.

Normally your kite is the one in the trees Glen

glendog
QLD, 520 posts
23 Feb 2014 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stevenjewell said..

glendog said..

Normally your kite is the one in the trees Glen

ha i guess you watched my vid from 2 years ago.

Hardcarve1
QLD, 547 posts
23 Feb 2014 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Had a guy with a 12m up today in 25-30knots doing jumps close to the beach. He was raw and showing off to his GF taking photos. Funny how these people never get hurt.

JonnyFreer
QLD, 71 posts
23 Feb 2014 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

I have been kiteboarding for 3 years now.
I consider myself to be SAFE.
I choose not to jump.
I can body drag.
I keep out of peoples way.
I help out when I can, both on and off the water.
I enjoy the freedom of skimming along the water.
Oh... and I wear a leash.............
Next time ndvk you see me down at Loders, come over and "tell me". I dare ya!

Rattlehead
QLD, 555 posts
23 Feb 2014 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JonnyFreer said..

I choose not to jump.
I can body drag.

Hope you also wear a helmet , cos one day your leash is going to drive your board into your head...., I'm totally lost as to why someone would use one ? If your just mowing the grass how the hell you going to come off your board anyway ...why would you need a leash?

stormgod
QLD, 137 posts
23 Feb 2014 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

KFC is leash free zone.. No leash allowed save our dolphins

Select to expand quote
Rattlehead said..

JonnyFreer said..

I choose not to jump.
I can body drag.

Hope you also wear a helmet , cos one day your leash is going to drive your board into your head...., I'm totally lost as to why someone would use one ? If your just mowing the grass how the hell you going to come off your board anyway ...why would you need a leash?

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
23 Feb 2014 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

i thought the sharks ate the dolphins?

Hardcarve1
QLD, 547 posts
23 Feb 2014 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JonnyFreer said..

I choose not to jump.
I can body drag.

JF it may seam like a good idea to have one but after carting people off to the hospital over the years with some serious injuries from leashes you may just try the next time you go out not to use it. You will manage OK without it, and much better to loose a board than your front teeth. There's not many times you really need a leash even in strong currents.

Stevil
3 posts
23 Feb 2014 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Guess when a board hits them between c1 to c7 n they either die or become a quadriplegic they will learn lol. Seriously though, a board is thin enough to slip between a disc n sever the spinal cord and how easy could it happen? With minimal impact? Only take one bad crash n a by by dumb shat u dead. On another note stop warning the idiots ur teaching them to survive. U know why they wear leashes???? Scared of sharks the lot of em hahahahaha

sheathes
QLD, 17 posts
23 Feb 2014 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

Tell me this NDVK,

Why is wearing a leash making a mockery of Kiteboarding as per your below quote??. Yes it can be dangerous to wear a leash just like it is to kiteboard in general. People have to make up their own minds and make an informed decision on how they want to tackle the sport and what accessories they use eg: to wear a leash, have a Gopro camera strapped to their board or kite (storm God). This doesn't make a mockery of the sport. We all constantly learn in life and its up to the individual to make those decisions and not to have people push their views down other peoples throats even if it is right.

"WHAT THE HELL is with all the board-leashed hacks clogging up lodders and shearwater this season???? It absolutely baffles my mind that there are so many people who have a clear disregard for their own safety and as a result continue to use this utterly stupid and dangerous piece of equipment, while making a mockery of kiteboarding".

I come from a surfing and bodyboarding back ground for the last 19 years and have never once heard someone cry about trying to put a ban on surf board leashes as they save you more times then they hurt you. It come with the territory when you pick up the the sport or any sport that has an inherent danger to it

On the so called "Rules" that you have posted, it is nice that you have put them up for everybody but you have said without lessons you wouldn't know the rules.. this is incorrect as I personally have had multiple lessons in 2 different states over the years after being in and out of kiteboarding and I have never been told those rules by a IKO instructor. You only learn them over time and talking to other kiters on the beach. I would never start abusing people on the water because they don't know the so called rules, I would let them know when they come in and keep clear of them until they are fully aware.

So please come down and tell me your opinion when you see me wearing my leash and ill tell you mine in return.

gcdave
534 posts
24 Feb 2014 4:17AM
Thumbs Up

Wtb: leash and new 148 board.

Needing body dragging lessons and small violin too.

Max $300 because I keep loosing my board and im just a general punter mowing the lawn like an extreme mad man.

ndvk
QLD, 15 posts
24 Feb 2014 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sheathes said..

Tell me this NDVK,

Why is wearing a leash making a mockery of Kiteboarding as per your below quote??. Yes it can be dangerous to wear a leash just like it is to kiteboard in general. People have to make up their own minds and make an informed decision on how they want to tackle the sport and what accessories they use eg: to wear a leash, have a Gopro camera strapped to their board or kite (storm God). This doesn't make a mockery of the sport. We all constantly learn in life and its up to the individual to make those decisions and not to have people push their views down other peoples throats even if it is right.

"WHAT THE HELL is with all the board-leashed hacks clogging up lodders and shearwater this season???? It absolutely baffles my mind that there are so many people who have a clear disregard for their own safety and as a result continue to use this utterly stupid and dangerous piece of equipment, while making a mockery of kiteboarding".

I come from a surfing and bodyboarding back ground for the last 19 years and have never once heard someone cry about trying to put a ban on surf board leashes as they save you more times then they hurt you. It come with the territory when you pick up the the sport or any sport that has an inherent danger to it

On the so called "Rules" that you have posted, it is nice that you have put them up for everybody but you have said without lessons you wouldn't know the rules.. this is incorrect as I personally have had multiple lessons in 2 different states over the years after being in and out of kiteboarding and I have never been told those rules by a IKO instructor. You only learn them over time and talking to other kiters on the beach. I would never start abusing people on the water because they don't know the so called rules, I would let them know when they come in and keep clear of them until they are fully aware.

So please come down and tell me your opinion when you see me wearing my leash and ill tell you mine in return.

dude its SAFETY. get a hold of your ego man. a gopro wont break your effing skull when it tightens and the momentum drives the board at your head. you think your special or invincible? you are the person who pisses the rest of us off. and its a mockery because the evidence for its danger and also uselessness as an accessory (ie too lazy to go body drag to your board?) and OBVIOUSLY im NOT the only one who knows this. Surfing is completely different to kiting, don't even try to compare. you don't have to swim to your board when you have a kite. I am a professional who works with individuals with brain injuries, and have personally seen it happen 3 times via the leash. I don't really care that you werent told the rules - they make things safer and IKO does endorse them. I am an IKO instructor, I teach them because they make sense, and all the people I kite have ever kited with (from multiple kite communities in multiple countries) know them. Its the bloody gold coast, and the EGOS that come with it.

get over yourself and be safe dude.

ndvk
QLD, 15 posts
24 Feb 2014 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JonnyFreer said..

I choose not to jump.
I can body drag.

Is that supposed to be some kind of threat?

if you are such a seasoned and experienced rider you should know better. sad.

jkiter
QLD, 139 posts
24 Feb 2014 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

BAHAHA. I love kiting!
Biggest bunch of winging tossers! I have a great idea lets all winge on the net instead of talking to people at the beach! Haha

Better idea! Let's all just go kiting and let natural selection take its course!

ndvk
QLD, 15 posts
24 Feb 2014 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jkiter said..

BAHAHA. I love kiting!
Biggest bunch of winging tossers! I have a great idea lets all winge on the net instead of talking to people at the beach! Haha

Better idea! Let's all just go kiting and let natural selection take its course!

yeah totally dude!!!! lets not give a crap about other people!! out for number one!

obviously we talk to people on the beach, but it doesnt reach everyone since it keeps effin happening, HENCE THE FORUM that you are reading

wldistel
QLD, 91 posts
24 Feb 2014 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

Issue Solved!

paulio
QLD, 890 posts
24 Feb 2014 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JonnyFreer said...
I choose not to jump.
I can body drag.

I
I WILL

Sanchin
QLD, 2 posts
24 Feb 2014 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

Its all beer and skittles till somebody gets hurt, or dies.

Brighton yesterday 30knts plus learner with wifey launching 5 m upwind of the rockwall groyne with people "instructors" watching.

After a bit one dude fired up told them to clear out called them idiots. Death was imminent.

I felt sick cause I was having visions of brains splattered all over the rocks.

Surprised none of the instructors didnt go down there quick and help them to decide to walk 200m out to safety. Do you guys get those tickets out of weetbix packets?

Seriously as responsible kiters when we see mr new about to splatter themselves, in a friendly way we must try to prevent it and point them in the way of some safety and pro lessions.

Seen a big gash in somebodies head at cottontree xmas, surf lifesavers brought him back in a rubber duck, it was from a kite collision with a dude who had a leash on his surfboard the board whipped around hit the leashless kiters head - he didnt know what day it was back on the beach concussed.

People should be able to make there own educated decisions on helmets, leashes etc, given the kiting environment.

Pay your money take your chances

MannyBlanch
QLD, 138 posts
24 Feb 2014 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ndvk said..

its the arguing that makes the sport look bad.

JonnyFreer said..

I choose not to jump.
I can body drag.

Is that supposed to be some kind of threat?

if you are such a seasoned and experienced rider you should know better. sad.

kiter101
QLD, 115 posts
24 Feb 2014 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

JonnyFreer said..

I choose not to jump.
I can body drag.

www.kitemare.com/kitemare-lessons-learned/ good site to check out and has some leash related injuries

Hopey
QLD, 178 posts
24 Feb 2014 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

kiter101 said..

JonnyFreer said..

I choose not to jump.
I can body drag.

www.kitemare.com/kitemare-lessons-learned/ good site to check out and has some leash related injuries

www.kiteboardleash.com/

JaimeT
QLD, 26 posts
24 Feb 2014 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

If you are really that worried about losing your board just ride in boots, cant lose a board if you're in boots and if you do then I think you're in a whole lot more trouble than you realise ;)

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
25 Feb 2014 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

Some guy out on the estuary yesterday, all over the road that skirts the water, narrowly missing cars with the kite or the carpark with his body, unable to stay upwind, generally looking like someone is going to notice and get the sport banned due to his antics.

... riding a 12m Rebel and *I* was on a 10m kite packing up later, and he's not an old kook but a young trendy fellow takes all sorts to be idiots I guess. Was tempted to say something but... I couldn't see that going well.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
25 Feb 2014 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JonnyFreer said..

I choose not to jump.

Why would you not? Unless you're on a directional...

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

"Enough of UNSAFE kiters" started by ndvk