Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

wipika kites

Created by Summo078 > 9 months ago, 25 May 2010
Summo078
QLD, 10 posts
25 May 2010 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know if wipika still make kites, I tried researching a kite i was thinking of buying, the kite is supposed to be a 2008 wipika 16m c kite?

I have the serial number if that helps.

Please help

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
25 May 2010 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

No they don't

RAL INN
VIC, 2880 posts
25 May 2010 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

That doesn't mean to say the Kite you are looking at doesn't exist. I think 2009 was their last year.
Bruno had the name for sale a little while ago.

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
25 May 2010 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Yes they made the BMX in 08. I think I might have even tried an 09 Wipika.

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
26 May 2010 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

what happened to wipika?

RAL INN
VIC, 2880 posts
26 May 2010 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

BrisKites said...

Yes they made the BMX in 08. I think I might have even tried an 09 Wipika.

I thought that the 10yr anniversary Airblast was a 09 model.

Their release dates were just to late to work.

Dunno how they close up and Bruno ends up with the ownership of the Wipika name.

richswing
WA, 724 posts
26 May 2010 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

I had a 2007 Wipika Matrix 6m, it had numerous bridle connection points along the L.E so I presume it was a R&D kite.

I made up a basic Y bridle with pulley and got it flying with alot of depower but looking back all I had to do is direct connect with the 5th line.

Some drug addict saw the bag in the backseat of my car and stole it.

A bit off topic below but anyway here it goes!

I bought a 7m NEW OS kite which was very similar except the aspect ratio is a bit lower most probably due to the TE not being as much scalloped as the Wipika. This comes to reason as Nate (NEW kiteboarding) was part of Wipika before it fell over.

I really love my NEW OS kite, really simple and safe which I wanted for my high wind kite and quick. I was kiting in 25-30knots, myself and two others on 4 line hybrids all came in at the same time, the guys were tempting to land but with not much joy. I pulled my safety and the kite dropped to the ground totally powerless on the 5th line and then landed the other kites. These would be a better alternative to the Wipika.

I am not affiliated to NEW, I just really enjoy my 7m. Another kite that tickles my fancy is the Airush Vapour X, similar 5 line setup but also with the option of a 4 line bridle. Haven't flown it but the construction is brilliant

Cheers
Rich

27 May 2010 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

I know what happened to the AIR BLASTS ,BMX ,and the MX from 09 they all ended up with me ,happy to help, with them, even have ex demos . But they just werent quite released at the right time .
have fun GEORGE

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"wipika kites" started by Summo078