Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

rip curl flash bomb 4.3 winter wetty reviews?

Created by THEYDONTKNOWSHOT > 9 months ago, 3 May 2014
THEYDONTKNOWSHOT
VIC, 216 posts
3 May 2014 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

whats people feedback on the 2014 f-bombs? just bought one yesterday havnt used it yet, bought it for Melbourne's winter.

4 May 2014 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Frontliner said..

whats people feedback on the 2014 f-bombs? just bought one yesterday havnt used it yet, bought it for Melbourne's winter.

I've got the 3/2, but have to say its the best wetsuit I've used and owned, dries very fast, super stretchy material, and easier to get into and out of than any other chest zip suit I've tried (Peak and Xcel).

Gorgo
VIC, 4911 posts
4 May 2014 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

I have had mine for two years. It's excellent. It really does drain touch dry in 20-30 minutes.

It's not as warm as my old 4/3 (Rip Curl Fireskin that I still use) but the Fireskin takes a week to dry in winter.

When paired with booties and a rubber hat you're fine to kite or surf in any Melbourne winter weather. Tuck the wettie into the booties so the water doesn't run up your leg.

Poida
WA, 1914 posts
4 May 2014 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

so why don't rip curl do a LT size?
or a size 33 board short?
hurley about the only ones that do a 33 shorts
and billabong, westsuit xcell and oneil do a LT

Gorgo
VIC, 4911 posts
4 May 2014 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Dunno. I'm tall and skinny and I have no trouble getting wetties to fit, although I don't believe the sizing on the label at all. I think modern super stretch wetsuits just fit a wider range of body shapes more easily.

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
5 May 2014 12:49AM
Thumbs Up

they're great suits but more my f-bomb and flash bomb neck linings have stretched. always getting flushes weather surfing of crashing when kiting. I must just have a skinny fat neck. Might get the back zip next time...

dkeating
VIC, 253 posts
5 May 2014 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Ive got the f-bomb in fireskin very rarely get any water in the whole thing while kiting/windsurfing only the bottom 6in seem to get wet even with the Velcro fairly tight on the booties. its nice to take a suit off and every thing still dry. large stacks/head under and in surf a small amount of flushing thou.

ive noticed a few guys now wearing the ions don't know how they compare but they come in a 5/4

pgc
VIC, 883 posts
6 May 2014 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

just got an ion strike 5/4. I have always had Rip Curl or Tiki but the ion is in whole other league. Its supa warm easy to get on and off and is designed for kiting and windsurfing. It has padding on the legs and arms also its semi dry. I think if you want a surf suit go for the onyx but for kiting the strike is the go!!!!! Drys quick too. Great colours.

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
6 May 2014 12:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Big eeeZeee said..

they're great suits but more my f-bomb and flash bomb neck linings have stretched. always getting flushes weather surfing of crashing when kiting. I must just have a skinny fat neck. Might get the back zip next time...

I have a 3/2! Neck zip flash bomb and it flushes water through the neck as well even when I have the neck uncomfortably tight. They have the advantage of drying quickly and rip,curl make good suits, but......... I find the 3/2 bulky after using high quality super stretch suits for surfing. Also if the sun does come out I roast in mine and the lining is artificially hot. Patagonia suits have this same problem with a plastic style of lining. I think they are ok, a better kiting suit than a paddle surf suit, but there are other warmer, thinner, suits out there, but they cost. It's always a trade off between flexibility warmth and durability. So you have to prioritise what you need.for your area. I'd give it a 6/10. I only use mine when my other suits are damp. Having said that, some of my favourite suits to wear , have fallen apart quickly. I know in my climate if I have a few hanging there, I take the super stretch fight weight first, then as it gets colder, the driest, warmest. Our water temp is only supposed to vary 5 degrees here, so the hardcore southern guys would prob think differently.

Phoney
NSW, 583 posts
6 May 2014 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone here tried an H-bomb?

They're the ones with the built in lithium ion battery packs and heating elements. Expensive, but I reckon if I lived in Victoria, Tas or NZ I'd own one for sure.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"rip curl flash bomb 4.3 winter wetty reviews?" started by THEYDONTKNOWSHOT