Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

nobile 555 vs underground flx

Created by joespencer > 9 months ago, 27 Feb 2007
joespencer
QLD, 167 posts
27 Feb 2007 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

hi all, just wanting advice for an intermediate rider 88kgs looking for a good light wind board to use with a 16 switchblade for those 10-15 knot days- does anyone rate the underground 142 x42 ahead of the nobile 555 (145x41) for choppy water??

prokiterUK
136 posts
27 Feb 2007 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

All depends what you are riding when the wind gets about 15knts.

joespencer
QLD, 167 posts
27 Feb 2007 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

a 16 m switchblade, and I wanted to know which board to ride

tobes
NSW, 1000 posts
27 Feb 2007 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

Other options...I think the new Undergrounds have a 138 x 45 size for light wind. Also maybe the Skywalker 135, but I don't know if you can get em in Oz. A surfboard?

prokiterUK
136 posts
28 Feb 2007 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

I was refering to board size

joespencer
QLD, 167 posts
28 Feb 2007 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

i have been riding a wlf liquid force, which is i think is 140 by 46- i don't like this board as it seems to wide, and too stiff- looking for a more responsive light wind board. i've seen the new jimmy lewis shaped hustla advertised and i think it also is 46 cm's wide by 140 long, although it has a narrow tip width.

3 Mar 2007 1:40AM
Thumbs Up

G'day
I sell both brands. I ride both brands too. My personal favourite boards are the FLX 07 1.32, and my 06 FLX 1.52x44, and if I cannot go upwind on that then no one in my area can get out or go with anything and yet I am still able to ride the 1.52 in up to 20 knots of chop comfortably.

I have ridden the Nobile 555 1.30x39, 1.35x41 and a 1.45x41, still prefer the FLX 1.52x44
Have also ridden the 666 1.32x41 and I have a demo 1.35 x 45, which will go in a bit less wind than the FLX but it is a lot stiffer and tops out around 14/15 knots of chop, starts to bounce and get unstable.

Hope that helps, get back to me if you want more info, I had one of those WLFs too and agree it is not real good in chop, and is too stiff.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

justdoit
QLD, 65 posts
3 Mar 2007 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by Kitepower Australia

Have also ridden the 666 1.32x41 and I have a demo 1.35 x 45, which will go in a bit less wind than the FLX but it is a lot stiffer and tops out around 14/15 knots of chop, starts to bounce and get unstable.

???For real???? I suspect the only thing that has topped out is the hallucinogen levels at you local beach.

gooseondabay
NSW, 109 posts
3 Mar 2007 11:26PM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by justdoit

quote:
Originally posted by Kitepower Australia

???For real???? I suspect the only thing that has topped out is the hallucinogen levels at you local beach.

The bloke was just trying to be helpful to a fellow kiter and maybe sell a board ( which is the business he is in ) and you have to bag him out. No wind out your way and your stressed maybe

joespencer
QLD, 167 posts
4 Mar 2007 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Steve, thanks for the feedback on the nobile and the underground. I had a preference for the flx 142 over the 55 , but when saw the nobile needed a bit of help from someone who had ridden both.
I've heard that the flx can be ordered in custom widths, and was wondering if you could tell me which you've found worse to ride- the flx in 142x 44cm (custom width) or deal with the extra length flx 152.
Do you notice that extra length in the board, because i guess it would make a huge difference for early planing being 10 cms longer. Also I wanted a strapped 6'2" converse surfboard this year, and thought that this may mean the 142x44 flx is the better choice (surfboard for 10-14 knots- 142 flx for 14-20, then normal board, and kite for 20 +knots)??? What do you think??

5 Mar 2007 12:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Joe

Its not really an option to increase the width on the Underground boards, even if they agree you are looking at a long wait.
The 1.42 x 42 07 FLX is a good size for bigger riders who get a lot of lighter winds.
For absolute bottom end nothing really beats the FLX 1.52x44, except the Nobile 666 1.43 x48 that specially ordered for myself. That 666 will go lighter than anything I have used, but it is stiff and I cannot ride it, its for sale $1000, as new.
Yeah the surfboard will have a similar bottom end as the FLX, but for flat water the FLX will be alot more fun, it does not feel big, its easy to switch and ride toeside, carve etc.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Cardboards
2 posts
5 Mar 2007 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys, don’t forget we are just releasing our new light wind boards there is a 135 x 43 and a 139 x 46. And we can do any other size by request (no extra charge or long wait)

Cheers Dan
Cardboards
www.cardboarding.com

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
5 Mar 2007 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

I have not tried one of the light wind Cardboards yet.
But if the others sizes are anything to go by. You cant go wrong. My 126 is hands down the best board I have ridden. and it cost me $200 less than my underground FLX 32.
Go the cardboard they are local too ( QLD )

kurt
QLD, 177 posts
7 Mar 2007 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

Warning - I am a proud rep for Cardboards!

Yep - another vote for the cardboards - simply awesome.

I just ordered a custom light winder for myself and it is perfect.
And my 133x40 is simply the best board I've ever owned or ridden.

The undergrounds are over priced and the nobile's...well...
I know there are some shops doing them for pretty cheap though but the cardboards are still the go. Buyer beware don't pay more than 850 for ANY board new.

tommyb
QLD, 103 posts
7 Mar 2007 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

liquid force PROOF
perfect light wind board.

joespencer
QLD, 167 posts
7 Mar 2007 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

I did have a good talk today to the cardboards guy, Dan. He was great, really helpful in helping me decide what type of board would be good for 60% surf use , and 40% flat water. I think we decided, in preliminary form, on a 144 by 43 twin tip (i'm 88 kgs), with no end orientation (i.e standing in the middle) probably mild rocker,mild flex, concave bottom, and rounded off tips to get the carvey feel (similiar to the naish sol, and ocean rodeo style of board) Hopefully this will have decent light wind planing with only the mild rocker and flex , good width, and length, and remain decent in the surf. Will use 55 cm fins each end. I would guess that it probably won't be much good at the lowest end of rideable wind, but maybe a strapped surfboard can fin in that gap?? Any thoughts on this profile???

kusu
QLD, 485 posts
8 Mar 2007 6:41AM
Thumbs Up

I'd go a touch shorter - 138-140ish.but other than that sounds ok.
You'll notice his boards really grip well without th eneed for alot of
fin so 50mmm would be big enough. Double concave and soft flex option.
Just my opinion on what I think would work best for you.

kusu
QLD, 485 posts
8 Mar 2007 6:44AM
Thumbs Up

The LF proof is an entry level board and he would grow out of it really quickly (if not already). It is quite weighty and doesn't plane as well as alot of other light wind boards out there. It is cheap though and good starter board for the bigger rider!

joespencer
QLD, 167 posts
8 Mar 2007 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

does the soft flex mean minimal flex ? i think i wanted a bit to soak up the chop, and landings, but not too much otherwise i would sacrifice the low end planing ? is it an option to have more tip flex, and less in the middle?

kurt
QLD, 177 posts
8 Mar 2007 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

No - soft flex means more flex. And it is mainly in the tips due to the lay up of the core. I use soft flex on all my boards - especially with the double concave models. Are you able to try one at all where you are?
The planing is still great with this option.

joespencer
QLD, 167 posts
8 Mar 2007 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

hi kurt, i'm on the gold coast, and don't know who is the cardboard rep down here any suggestions? I am on a crazy fly 139 by 41 at present, and find that i like the flex in this board, except for when the wind is light, and then takeoff is much more difficult- maybe just because i'm 88 kgs with a 139 board on a 12 m bow (haven't tried the 16 switchblade with it yet) . I am about 6 months into the sport but definitely don't want a learner board.

Does the soft flex reduce early planing, especially coupled with surf type rocker, and would you know if it is less or more than the crazy fly flex??

I would want this board for between 14-22 knots, with a 16 switchblade (14- 18 knots) or a 12 m RRD hypertype (18 + knots)

looseunit
QLD, 111 posts
8 Mar 2007 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

just try the ext and cardboard is just that. cardboard crap ,so does that mean you should be able to sell local boards at a cheaper price than 850 more like 600 sounds reasonable for a board that will break inside one year

kurt
QLD, 177 posts
8 Mar 2007 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Ignore loose unit - he has ulterior local shop motives, can't ride for ****e and probably couldn't tell the difference between a kiteboard and an ironing board. Probably couldn't tell board speed as well cause his kitepants would be flapping in the wind (along with his gob) slowing him down anyway...

Joe, the crazy fly's are a nice board as well but the flex pattern is different to the cardboards. The cardboards are stiffer between your feet and flex in the tips. Not sure who can get you a ride down there - ring Dan and check with him or if your up this way give me a call and you vn try mine. Even if you go down the beach here more than half the riders are on cardboards so you'll definately get a go on one.

joespencer
QLD, 167 posts
8 Mar 2007 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Kurt, what do you reckon about the wind range i wrote about in the last post? do you think a 144x43 is reasonable for those wind strengths, and kite sizes. I guess i don't want to undershoot the mark in lighter winds ..... i can use the crazy fly whenever it's strong, and the cardboard when it isn't ?!

kurt
QLD, 177 posts
8 Mar 2007 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

sent you a pm joe, no use going on here as unfortunately the forums are littered with idiots like above!

looseunit
QLD, 111 posts
9 Mar 2007 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

see as per usual,out of date info, dont have a job and my pants are flapping some where but not in the air kiteboard-what u do iron and folding
ironboard-what you ride at the beach
boardspeed-white lines layed out on a board(not cardboard as it absorbs speed)that make your heart race.[}:)][}:)]1 oz

joespencer
QLD, 167 posts
9 Mar 2007 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

....um.....okay..... ?????!!!

dachopper
WA, 1784 posts
10 Mar 2007 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

mate if you (really) want a light wind board tht has you going upwind in 10 kt and doing tricks.... try out the nibile 666 EXT . It is designed for just that, and on the days its on the low end (8 ish kts) you still have a good chance of cranking upwind.

any board that is a true light wind board that has you going upwind in extreme light winds will be stiffer and fatter and bigger and harder in the chop , thats what maker it go upwind! If I were paying for a board to only go in light winds , then i wouldn't get a bigger freestyle board, id just get an ultra light wind board

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"nobile 555 vs underground flx" started by joespencer