Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

new underground footpads and straps

Created by rusty7 > 9 months ago, 26 May 2007
rusty7
QLD, 504 posts
26 May 2007 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

Had a short session today on my new underground gear
98kgs, 14 rebel, 14 to 18 knots ,intermediate level.
07 FLX 148
choppy conditions
First the board ...got going early and managed to go upwind reasonably well. The lack of rocker had me digging in and nosediving the front of the board ...i guess i will get better at handling the board with a couple more sessions. I did manage 1 jump and the board gave quite good pop and landed well. Slide transitions were very easy and at no time did I feel like I was going to lose the board from under me and the board was easy to handle.
The new foot pads, awesome really comfy did not slip at all
Given that I haven't been out for over 2 months now, i have no soreness in my feet at all. I would definitely recommend these to anyone thinking of upgrading their board, or if they need to replace tied or broken down gear.....and no I am not an agent.
I am looking foward to some better wind to try my 07 FLX138. I hope this review is of some use to someone.

kusu
QLD, 485 posts
26 May 2007 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

It will be of use to people who know you and how you ride and your ability level rusty, I'm sure of that.

How did you find the extra weight of the new wood core?
Was it very noticeable?

When referring to 'pop' of a board, I always thought it was when you load
up and release for a low kite powered style move - not for jumping, but I could be wrong.

Maybe we can swap boards and compare at south queens next time we're out?

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
27 May 2007 12:06AM
Thumbs Up

yeah thats wat i interperet pop as aswell. hmmm wood cores extra 2g or what ever is fully worth it if the boards gona last longer. i think wood cores stiffens the board a bit and ads more pop.i really doubt ull notice it unles ur the most sensitive person out

rusty7
QLD, 504 posts
28 May 2007 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

I may not be technically correct with my interpretation of pop and apoligise to the guys who really know their stuff. I have always referred to pop as riding with a straight front leg bending your back leg and then rapidly straightening your back leg enabling you to pop off the top of chop and waves. The flex in the board seems to give you a bit of extra lift. This was the case with jumping the wake when wakeboading anyway.But I may be wrong ere aswell. My previous big board was so stiff and that i didn't feel like I got any assistance from the board. That was what I was trying to say. I hope this explination clears things up for you.
As far as the extra weight goes I have nothing to compare this board with but it does not feel heavy.

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
28 May 2007 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

i thought stiffer boards have more pop. its more the straightening responce the board gives, faster it straightens up the more pop ul get? btw how much do those pads retail for? my 07 jaime pro is insane but the pads are rank

rusty7
QLD, 504 posts
28 May 2007 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

don't know the retail price, you will have to check it out with your kite shop.

kusu
QLD, 485 posts
28 May 2007 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Street price on the undergrounds is around 800.
Re the weight, I agree it's not super important if small.
I've just 'heard' the new wood core is significant in it's weight increase compared to the old model. Still like to try one out to see how it rides.

looseunit
QLD, 111 posts
28 May 2007 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

pop is the third one ,first there was snap then came crackle
followed by pop .you rice bubbles

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
28 May 2007 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

i want pad prices not boards. lol underground boards seem nice but i wonder how they take hard and fast landings? Jaime pro does it no sweat but the pads on the north boards are really hard compared to others. might just have to get some hover pads from best or something.

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
29 May 2007 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by Charl dv

i thought stiffer boards have more pop. its more the straightening responce the board gives, faster it straightens up the more pop ul get? btw how much do those pads retail for? my 07 jaime pro is insane but the pads are rank

You pretty much have it correct Charl. However just making a board stiffer also prevents the board from rebounding. So yes you would be looking for a faster responding board, which is usually acheived by wood, carbon or both. For me foam core boards just don't cut it.

As for the pads, I think Underground have really stepped up on this one. Easily as good as the new Naish or Nobile and unlike the Naish they can be fitted to any board.

Pads should be around $55 and straps $69

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
30 May 2007 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

yeah underground seems to be getting alot better, i also found with my drive it was a bit laggy with the response wen i was kiting in the chop, maybe thats just chop tho but its obviously weaker non the less, mine snapped but i wonder what north used in their superflight and whats diff from that and just the flight cores.. i swear im not a geek just like the techy stuff bout my kit

rusty7
QLD, 504 posts
31 May 2007 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

Don't know what you are on about with the lag in the chop .... my underground boards ride beautifully through the chop. 100kgs coming down from a great height with out to much style didn't break my boards either. They will break if you run over them with the car though.

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
31 May 2007 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

drives are from best. not underground, simply making comparisons yeah i know undergrounds are fairlystrong, i ride unhooked n i found my old best drive takes a bit long to release the edge in chop

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"new underground footpads and straps" started by rusty7