Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

flexifoil leaky valves

Created by dclark > 9 months ago, 19 Nov 2008
dclark
WA, 21 posts
19 Nov 2008 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Have flexifoil fixed their problem with leaking valves on the leading edge bladder from poor contruction??
My 08 ion2 12.5m has had all 3 inflate and deflate valves glue fail. I have contacted the distributer and I have been told to re-heat the glue with an iron on a low setting with non stick paper to prevent melting the bladder. I have tried this a few times but i seem to get a couple of sessions out of the kite then i end up with either the same problem again on that valve or its another valve that starts leaking. I contacted the distributer again but nothing else has been done as yet to help my problem and leaking bladders are really starting to sh#t me.
Also a mate has had the same problem with his 07 9m atom and i have also had the same problem with my 08 9m atom but its the strut valves on the leading edge that are starting to fail not the inflate and deflate valves. I have looked at the deflate and inflate valves and looking at the build on them i think im going to have the same problem as the other kites.
Both of us keep our kites inside the house and are never left exposed to heat.
Dont mean to bag flexi because i love the kites and the actual build quality of the kite but the valves are a let down from how well the rest of the kite is made.

darren

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
19 Nov 2008 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Definately not a problem confined to Flexi kites but it is still a very annoying one. We have a customer who replaced all of his Atom valves with U-Stick FIX KIT Valves and hasn't had an issue since. Peel2Fix valve repair stickers might be a cheaper option though. www.briskites.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=261

axis
VIC, 399 posts
20 Nov 2008 12:26AM
Thumbs Up

If this is a known problem they should replace your bladders - if they have ones that have been glued/heat welded better.

dclark
WA, 21 posts
19 Nov 2008 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

BrisKites said...

Definately not a problem confined to Flexi kites but it is still a very annoying one. We have a customer who replaced all of his Atom valves with U-Stick FIX KIT Valves and hasn't had an issue since. Peel2Fix valve repair stickers might be a cheaper option though.

I own 2, 08 atoms and one 08, ion2 and 2 out of 3 kites so far (ion2 is one year old the 2 atoms aren't a year old yet) have had problems with the valves and if i spend minimum $50 per kite on all new valves plus my inexperience in bladder repairs may not fix the problem and then im back to where i started.

i live in a remote area where i cant drop into a kite shop so either way i think moti levy is my best option

20 Nov 2008 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

dclark said...

BrisKites said...

Definately not a problem confined to Flexi kites but it is still a very annoying one. We have a customer who replaced all of his Atom valves with U-Stick FIX KIT Valves and hasn't had an issue since. Peel2Fix valve repair stickers might be a cheaper option though.

I own 2, 08 atoms and one 08, ion2 and 2 out of 3 kites so far (ion2 is one year old the 2 atoms aren't a year old yet) have had problems with the valves and if i spend minimum $50 per kite on all new valves plus my inexperience in bladder repairs may not fix the problem and then im back to where i started.

i live in a remote area where i cant drop into a kite shop so either way i think moti levy is my best option

https://www.kitepower.com.au/catalog/product_17053_UStick_Bladder_Valves_cat_325.html

Use those valves, the larger "fix it" base versions, even for the one pump connections. I did a complete kite last week in approx 4 hrs, start to finish, every valve. Anyone can do it, and they work really well, it will be the end of your probs, or send the kites to Moti, will cost about the same of more.
Doing it yourself is easy, and you could do them all one morning and be kting in the afternoon.

Send the kite to me and I'll put them on and charge $90 to do each kite + the cost of the fittings I use. Strongly recommend you have a go at it.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Karve
VIC, 197 posts
21 Nov 2008 3:13AM
Thumbs Up

Or alternatively Darren,

You could wait for a couple of days for your warranty bladders to arrive. The 12.5m Ion2 bladder I ordered in for you (as I did not have one in stock) arrived today and will be sent out in the morning along with bladders for your atoms.

It is not a fault with all Flexifoil bladders but there have been some that have suffered from this problem. If you have a problem with your Flexifoil kites the standard approach is to talk to your dealer, if that is not easy then talk to me and I will try to resolve your problem.

We have fixed the issue as soon as it was apparent that there was an issue with the bladder to valve join, however a small batch of kites was affected. And these tend to be more of an issue in the hotter climates.

dclark
WA, 21 posts
26 Nov 2008 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

all problems solved by flexi!!!!
very helpfull and fast response for warrenty
wouldn't hesitate upgrading all my flexi kites for the next years models

toddws
WA, 468 posts
5 Jan 2009 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

Here's a Christmas story with happy ending for you.

I purchased through Kitepower a 12M atom08 in August (good to see those tax return dollars put to good use), got a good deal on an ex-demo.

The kite has sat patiently waiting for those good green arrows to show themselves in Perth so 1st week of December and the kite was given its first outing. The kite flys wicked, charges upwind everything the flexi ads promise. Second day out i notice that the centre strut was deflating, guess what a delaminating valve. I take it to a local kite shop and they recommend a u-stick replacement valve as the best option.

One valve fails, it happens, no biggie.

Best of all the instructions for removing/replacing valces and bladders were in KiteWorld 35 'all the gear and no idea' and they even used an atom in the pictures as an example. so that was fairly easy.

Last Sunday 28th, I am out on the water and notice that the kite is deforming when the bar is pulled in. So I come in, check the kite and the Leading Edge is deflating .

So this time I take it to SOS Surf in Fremantle, nearest local Flexi supplier, they check the kite over and pronounce that the diagnosis is valve failure connecting the LE to the second strut from the left as you are pumping the kite up.

The SOS guys do a sterling repair (and only $35) and i have the kite back by Wednesday. Family commitments beckon and the next time I get out is Friday. But despite the promise of Green Arrows the wind gods do not smile. so the kite sits on the beach pumped up but sits fairly upright, with the struts under no pressure.

Saturday afternoon, and its back on blowing like a mother, so its off to the beach.
I pump up, flip her over, lay out my lines but by the time i come to attach my lines the leading edge is really flat. I pump up again and notice that the leading edge is leaking from the centre strut connector as soon as its flipped over and the struts blow down under pressure. So now both valves on this one connection have failed.

Yesterday I took the kite Back to SOS Surf, for another repair, they suggested I contact Flexfoil though Kitepower.com. So I sent Steve at Kitepower an email to see what if anything they could do (remember this is an ex demo kite, out of warranty as it's technically a "second-hand kite').

I received an email this morning at 9.15am saying that Kitepower were talking to Flexifoil on my behalf.

At 10.15am Steve called me, Flexfoil have agreed to send out a full set of replacement bladders, and have aknowledged that some bladders may have had a production issue, but this has been identified and resolved.

I have used many Flexi products 5M blades, super 10 (i have had 2), a flexifoil buggy, and a flexideck, and the quality is what made me want an Atom08.
Massive Respect to Flexifoil and Kitepower have really come through, and the service and response times are excellent (bladders are in the post already).

So if I can offer this as advise, contact your local dealer if you have one near or contact Flexifoil direct as they really do stand by their products.

Ps thanks to the guys at SOS Surf in Fremantle for their prompt repair service (and if you read this i'll pick up the kite this afternoon)

Todd Slaughter

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"flexifoil leaky valves" started by dclark