Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

best freeride board ? shinn , nobile , wainman ?

Created by johnojjohnso > 9 months ago, 15 Apr 2014
johnojjohnso
NSW, 44 posts
15 Apr 2014 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

hi guys i know this has been done to death but i need some help. looking to buy a new freeride board at the moment i use a nobile t5 140cm but want to size down . i think i have narrowed it down to a couple of boards based on reviews but most of them are not stocked around here so cant demo . the boards are nobile nhp , wainman blunt , shinee monk, dundee or may be crazyfly shox . all the reviews online for these boards are generally good thats how iv got to this point but i would be interested in any opinions of people who have tried more than one of them
i would say im beginner to intermediate 70kg normally ride flat and choppy water i cant see me doing any loops or unhooked at least for now . im looking for a board to cruise around on, catch some air, eats the chop, comfy , goes up wind well and has plenty of grip but also that i wont grow out of for the next season or 2 . also due to work i seem to miss most windy days so has to be a board i can have a great session on in all conditions to make the most of the time i get on the water .
one more thing in some reviews for a couple of these boards i have read " like it has a bed of air between the board and the water " its written as a good thing but does that mean as well as being very comfortable it lacks grip lacks grip?
thanks

pgh
21 posts
15 Apr 2014 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

simples : monk forever 132x41 !

absolutely awesome board for grip,carves,chop and jumping i'm on the 132 at 80kg you could drop down i imagine at 70kg but 132 is a gem !

bigwave
8 posts
16 Apr 2014 1:24AM
Thumbs Up

The Nobile NHP is without a doubt the best TT I have used. I ride the 134 x 42 @ 87 Kg. The NHP really does tick all the boxes performance wise,plus the quick connect Fin,Handle and Pad system(comes with 2 sets of fins) is excellent for travel. I our shop, the NHP out sells the Monk easily 4 to 1 at a higher price point. The Shinn Monk shines in its smooth ride in the chop and very comfortable pad set. IMO, the Monk falls short of the NHP in early planning( Monk needs a bit more wind) and Pop. The Dundee is very smooth like the Monk with better carving. I have not tried the other boards you have mentioned. Really, the best case scenario would be to try them if possible. Good luck!

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
16 Apr 2014 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

another really nice board that we have gotten a lot of very positive feedback about is the Xenon LaLuz come in 129,132,135,138,145cm

Andy loves it

the biggest issues that i find with boards is the pads/straps. The only ones i like are North Entity and Liquid Force pads/straps. The rest is pretty 'average' in my opinion.

eibwen
WA, 116 posts
16 Apr 2014 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Shinn Monk + Naish APEX straps.

johnojjohnso
NSW, 44 posts
16 Apr 2014 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

thanks so far guys swinging towards nhp or monk at the moment saying that the would like to here from any 1 who has ridden the dundee
on paper all sounds good about the laluz but i know this is not the most important thing but it just looks like it should be hanging on the wall of some posh coffee shop rather than on the water but yet a gain its a board i would like to demo but its just not going to happen here in sydney unfortunately.

keep them coming .

junglist
VIC, 701 posts
16 Apr 2014 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigwave said..

The Nobile NHP is without a doubt the best TT I have used. I ride the 134 x 42 @ 87 Kg. The NHP really does tick all the boxes performance wise,plus the quick connect Fin,Handle and Pad system(comes with 2 sets of fins) is excellent for travel. I our shop, the NHP out sells the Monk easily 4 to 1 at a higher price point. The Shinn Monk shines in its smooth ride in the chop and very comfortable pad set. IMO, the Monk falls short of the NHP in early planning( Monk needs a bit more wind) and Pop. The Dundee is very smooth like the Monk with better carving. I have not tried the other boards you have mentioned. Really, the best case scenario would be to try them if possible. Good luck!

Hi all, Yea I go along with the above I LOVE my NHP (same size and weight as above). The pop in this board is what I expected from Nobile however what I did not expect is its toe side handling when on a wave....you can get some serious powered carves in and I have not caught an edge on it yet. I have not tried most of the other boards mentioned here and TBH I cant be bothered as I have found the one board that pretty much does everything the way I like it.

speed brother
QLD, 126 posts
16 Apr 2014 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Monk is great, dundee is better in the rough. North X ride, or select if your cashed up.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
16 Apr 2014 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

the nhp is a very different board compared to the monk, the 2hd is a better board for board match, both need to be ridden fast, as in the loop shows the xenon range was a board I loved along with the crazyflys, ive a demo Dundee which is also a nice board but lacks a bit of speed , the shinns certainly have that magic carpet ride but the certainly edge well

goes to show by the replies the are a few to choose from, get on them and see what suits, I always say use you pads and straps, that way youll get a true feel for the board,

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
16 Apr 2014 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

The Best Armada is a sweet board too, really nice through the chop and a overall sweet ride. I've used one a couple of times in the lighter winds when I couldn't get going on my wakestyle set up and it was efficient and a great ride.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
17 Apr 2014 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

Of the Shinns then the Monk is the go-to if you are an aggressive power junkie rider. And really in its element in flatter conditions.
The Dundee is better in slop & chop & is outlined more toward wave riding. Its smoother & more comfortable than the Monk but in saying that anyone with a Monk will tell you its the smoothest, comfiest board ever!
In demo situations Ive seen the Shinn Monk & the Shinn Dundee up against all boards mentioned here & almost always (like 99%) it comes down to a choice between the Monk & the Dundee.
Yeah I know I sell them ....blah blah blah.... Im just reporting the feedback.
I sell a lot of stuff and never make pimp sounding comments on anything else in stock here.

0llie
NSW, 165 posts
17 Apr 2014 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

happy with mine (Dundee) ^^^ Thanks awesome board, love it^^^, love charging at a wave toe side and cranking a turn on the face.

ludbey
TAS, 85 posts
17 Apr 2014 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

I demoed the 2014 dundee & monk back to back went with the dundee, just felt a little smoother in the chop and that is all we get here. would have been more than happy with either, found the dundee just a little more forgiving when you get a bit out of shape too. Maybe I have odd shape feet cause I have always had trouble with pads as well but bought the Naish Apex, absolutely love em so much adjustment, never seem to drop my board anymore & comfortable.

johnojjohnso
NSW, 44 posts
20 Apr 2014 12:14AM
Thumbs Up

thanks for all the help i think dundee is at the top of my list now
no ones ridden the blunt ?

daggy
WA, 527 posts
20 Apr 2014 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

i demoed and bought the Dundee
love it

big fins for wave riding and more height in your boost (56's)
smaller fins more fun for muckin' about ( 46's)

johnojjohnso
NSW, 44 posts
28 Apr 2014 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

ok so its going to be the dundee or monk for sure i think it will just come down to what one i can get a good deal on. got some time to kill before the season starts again. so what size should i be looking out for ? iv got the 140cm that i will keep for the lighter days. according to the shinn website being 70kg i should be on a 130 monk or 131 dundee but my local shop was telling get 135 and dont go any smaller as im still fairly new to the sport but they dont stock shinn so was talking about a nobile or crazyfly .
at the moment im thinking go the middle ground 132 monk or 133 dundee ?
thanks for the help
and if you have one of these boards for sale let me know

Emanjay
WA, 115 posts
28 Apr 2014 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

I'm 75 kgs and a bit... and ride 130 Monk. Believe the site, they're boards are wider than most so don't be put off by the shorter length. I went from 135 x ride to monk 130 and pretty sure I'll never ride the north again. I have no idea how it works but the monk is unbelievably better in every way for me.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
28 Apr 2014 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
johnojjohnso said..

ok so its going to be the dundee or monk for sure i think it will just come down to what one i can get a good deal on. got some time to kill before the season starts again. so what size should i be looking out for ? iv got the 140cm that i will keep for the lighter days. according to the shinn website being 70kg i should be on a 130 monk or 131 dundee but my local shop was telling get 135 and dont go any smaller as im still fairly new to the sport but they dont stock shinn so was talking about a nobile or crazyfly .
thanks for the help

Good picking.
Esp if you are keeping your 140 for lighter days then definitely follow the www.shinnworld.com gauge & go the 130 Monk or the 131 Dundee.
Im 75kgs & coming off my 132 Luigi I knew the minute I was up on my 1st ride on the Dundee that the 133 was too big. Dropped down to the 131 and it was a perfect fit.
Yes you would probably need a longer board in most brands. The Shinns tend to be wider than average. Some say the rule is 1cm extra width = 4cm in extra length. Close to right from the feedback Ive had from demos.
We have a couple of the last ever new Dundees in 131 + one used demo 131. Its to be replaced for next season by the all new Turbo.
Call if you re interested 0430 966 397

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
28 Apr 2014 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
johnojjohnso said..

thanks for the help

ive both the monk and Dundee, you wont have any dramas going up a size due to the aggressive outline and edging ability of the boards, if your a hard charger the monks the go over the Dundee, both really nice boards just find the dundees a bit more reserved, a fast flying kite like the edge is a perfect match with the monk

johnojjohnso
NSW, 44 posts
28 Apr 2014 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
puppetonastring said..

johnojjohnso said..

thanks for the help

Good picking.
Esp if you are keeping your 140 for lighter days then definitely follow the www.shinnworld.com gauge & go the 130 Monk or the 131 Dundee.
Im 75kgs & coming off my 132 Luigi I knew the minute I was up on my 1st ride on the Dundee that the 133 was too big. Dropped down to the 131 and it was a perfect fit.
Yes you would probably need a longer board in most brands. The Shinns tend to be wider than average. Some say the rule is 1cm extra width = 4cm in extra length. Close to right from the feedback Ive had from demos.
We have a couple of the last ever new Dundees in 131 + one used demo 131. Its to be replaced for next season by the all new Turbo.

how much do you want for the demo ? so what do you know about the turbo ?

johnojjohnso
NSW, 44 posts
28 Apr 2014 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
johnojjohnso said..

puppetonastring said..

johnojjohnso said..

thanks for the help

Good picking.

how much do you want for the demo ? so what do you know about the turbo ?

and is it the dundee 2 or the original ?
thanks

suniboy21
VIC, 1090 posts
29 Apr 2014 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

If your after a board on a budget
Check out find board sports turbo free ride

EastCC
QLD, 354 posts
29 Apr 2014 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

Turbo hasn't been released yet.....

Kickflip
NSW, 20 posts
29 Apr 2014 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

Can also vouch for the Dundee, its my first board and loving it so far.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
29 Apr 2014 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Ex demo is a Dundee version one - see pic

Comes with or without hardware.
Call me for a price - but its in the clearance sale so will also be in the 24/7 Online Auction
www.kitesurfsup.com.au

johnojjohnso
NSW, 44 posts
29 Apr 2014 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

had a chat with the extremely helpful guys at shinn think i will wait to have a look at the turbo when it comes out in a couple of weeks before buying any thing

Caledonia
3 posts
30 Apr 2014 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

The new Turbo is very nice (rode it in El Medano where the boards are designed and tested) - AFAIK all the details are due very soon?

It is very similar to the Dundee in that it is the most composed and not as hooligan-like as the Monk - it was the easiest to ride when overpowered on a 5m!!! However, people are either Monk or Dundee fans - you either like to go ballistic whooping all the way on the Monk cutting through chop with impunity, or you like the more tactile feel and control of something like the Dundee/Turbo.

That said many Monk fans might appreciate the new Speedball ? a strange mix of both without being either and defies being pigeonholed. Works great on a wave and feels tiny underfoot and(in a good way) when in the air so you can bust out tweaks and grabs?

Me I prefer the Ultrasonic as a board that when you push it pushes back and just grips harder and harder until you release it - if you can then try a few of them back to back as they share similar traits, but Mark has designed each with a type of riding in mind and you don't know necessarily get what yours is until you try it?

Speedball testing

johnojjohnso
NSW, 44 posts
15 May 2014 11:47PM
Thumbs Up

any way after all the research in to a new board ended up getting a new kite instead to good bargain to miss 2013 brand new 12m rpm $853 got to love ebay if any ones looking for a 2011 12m rpm im your man . the board is still on the shopping list and still a a long time till the season starts again looking forward to seeing what the turbo is about

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
15 May 2014 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Turbos should be here before the end of the month. All 3 sizes up for demo as soon as they hit.
Mark assures me they will do everything the Dundee has done to amaze riders but (quoting the master himself) "it's certainly a Dundee progression but honestly has a nice more engaging ride."
If thats for real (Mark hasnt let me down yet) then the Turbo is going to be one sweet ride. Cant imagine anything better if you are not out for the balls-to-the-wall performance of the Monk or above.
Busting to get onto one.

PS - only 3 Dundees left - probably the only ones in the world. Its now or start the hunt all over again.

johnojjohnso
NSW, 44 posts
1 Jun 2014 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

so any one had a go on the turbo yet ? looks interesting not sure about the mardi gra paint job though.

SonnyRider
92 posts
2 Jun 2014 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
johnojjohnso said..

so any one had a go on the turbo yet ? looks interesting not sure about the mardi gra paint job though.

Yup, I have had a couple sessions on a 132x42. I normally ride a 135x44 Dundee. I weigh in at 96kgs & 6'2"

It's a really nice board, with a good low end drive that feels really soft on the carve. It motors upwind and feels really good in the chop, on the wave and in the smooth flat spots in between

A really, really nice board

A fine successor to the Dundee :-)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"best freeride board ? shinn , nobile , wainman ?" started by johnojjohnso