Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Zeeko Alloy Series Foil Review

Created by skebstebamal > 9 months ago, 31 Aug 2015
skebstebamal
QLD, 578 posts
31 Aug 2015 8:21AM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 95kg 6'3 (advanced kiter....beginner foiler :))
Style: Freeriding, Surf
Weather: 10knts and 20 knots
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: I imported it and paid for it (probably a bit too much)

So a mate and I decided we wanted to give foiling a crack. So we borrowed a home made one.. bolted it to a wakeskate (a boat one) and had a go. First go was for a 20 mins each and we got going enough to know we wanted to get into it.

So I did 10 minutes of research (cause I'm impatient) and decided to go with a Zeeko Alloy. I still wasn't sure I wanted to get right into it so went with an alloy instead of spending a heap on a carbon. I had read enough that the LF is too slow so ruled it out.

So I have been out on the zeeko three times now and love it. I have bolted it to my kite surf board (Zeeko provided a template for the bolt holes and location relative to front foot strap) and am currently riding it with just a single front foot strap. We have only ridden it in open ocean, not flat water.

Putting it together is a breeze. all screws came pre-greased, and the provided allen key tool handles all the different sizes. The foil is quite heavy...I don't notice it riding ...yet, but you certainly do notice it when handling it in the water etc.

I haven't had a gps on it yet, but It feels plenty fast (especially off the wind) and is super stable up wind. Up wind is a breeze you can edge as hard or easy as you like depending on how much speed you want to carry. We ride only in the ocean, so you need to get handy at trimming your foil height quickly to accommodate swells and large chop so the foil doesn't surface. . . . it handles these conditions well with only slight input needed to adjust ride height. DW in rolling seas is pretty scary as your travelling so fast that the height adjustments need to be made quickly or it can all explode in a tangle of foil and board very quickly : )

So I am extremely happy with the foil. Build quality is great, it performs well for the price, and customer service from Nicolas at Zeeko was excellent. I highly recommend it (from a beginners perspective with 4 hours of water time only)

now..... knowing how fun foiling is.....would I buy an alloy again..... probably not, I think I would have stumped up for a fast carbon one second hand from Marvin....... I only add this as I think people may have the same experience where you go cheaper to get into it...but quickly think maybe I should have spent the extra. Don't get me wrong the Zeeko Alloy is awesome, its plenty fast enough and seems tough as nails. . I more add this for people who will ride predominantly in flat water, where the additional speed of the race foils will keep it exciting for longer...

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
31 Aug 2015 8:21AM
Thumbs Up

your body position compared to the foil is far too forward . Bring it back so your back foot is behind the mast .

LostinSpace
QLD, 388 posts
1 Sep 2015 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the review Skeb, it's a direction i am very interested in heading and what you said here is very insightful. Cheers

RAL INN
VIC, 2880 posts
5 Sep 2015 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

That's a nice review Skeb.
and yes they are a bit cheaper buying here.

we will have a demo Alloy foil up and running by end of September, here in Vic.

although by the amount of interest in these foils there might be a roadtrip happening.

PM me if you are interested

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
6 Sep 2015 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

now time to try a fast and slick foil :)

skebstebamal
QLD, 578 posts
7 Sep 2015 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
INTHELOOP said..
now time to try a fast and slick foil :)

If u ever come past the sunshine coast I'll put my hand up for a spin on one of yours : )

RAL INN
VIC, 2880 posts
3 Nov 2015 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

So we finally get to keep one of the Zeeko Alloy foils that comes in, and have it setup on an old directional kiteboard.
Mainly to show that any old board will get you going.

Heading to Shallow inlet today (Melbourne cup day)
and we will also have it at Mambo.

RAL INN
VIC, 2880 posts
16 Dec 2015 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

2016 Slash Foil&surf board with the Alloy Foil attached.

junglist
VIC, 701 posts
17 Dec 2015 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

That looks a sweet setup Tony.

I haven't tried riding one of these yet but from a visual inspection the Zeeko looked to be so much better designed and assembled than some of its notable (bigger company) competitors. All of the pieces were milled and machined to produce what appeared to be a streamlined and efficient piece of kit. There was no sections of standard unmilled square bar or suspicious welds as seen with some other foils. It's quality certainly turned heads on the beach at Mambo.

So when are you bringing it to West Vic Tony? I have a bunch of guys who want to give it a try.

P.S. If you leave it with me I can pimp it around.

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
17 Dec 2015 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
junglist said..
That looks a sweet setup Tony.

I haven't tried riding one of these yet but from a visual inspection the Zeeko looked to be so much better designed and assembled than some of its notable (bigger company) competitors. All of the pieces were milled and machined to produce what appeared to be a streamlined and efficient piece of kit. There was no sections of standard unmilled square bar or suspicious welds as seen with some other foils. It's quality certainly turned heads on the beach at Mambo.

So when are you bringing it to West Vic Tony? I have a bunch of guys who want to give it a try.

P.S. If you leave it with me I can pimp it around.

are you in Melbourne?

RAL INN
VIC, 2880 posts
17 Dec 2015 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Aargh Junglist! The things people will say to get their hands on one of these.
But all 2015 alloy Zeeko Foils are gone. There is one floating around Hampton in Melbourne. I say Floating cause that's what they tell me Hampton kiters mainly do
2016 models are do very soon, and of course Zeeko Carbon series foils are ready to ship.
We also have a Pocket Board on its way so when we have it all I will be over ASAP.
There of course will be updates on our FB page
3Inlets Windsports

HamptonLocals
5 posts
17 Dec 2015 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Yes RAL INN I have now mounted my Zeeko, to a BRM Paipo. And yes, tried it once so far and spent the whole session floating all over Hampton Beach like a complete tard. So too early to give a review other than to say 3Inlet Windsports were fantastic to deal with and the Zeeko came packaged brilliantly (ready for future travel if you wanted) and with an outstanding build quality.

If you hang around Hampton I am normally out flying a BRM Cloud 2, an almost perfect match for the foil. My setup is totally influenced by Greg Drexler (boardridingmaui) and if you have seen any video's of him foiling you will know what I'm aiming for. a picture of my setup is below.

RAL INN
VIC, 2880 posts
18 Dec 2015 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

I've watched a couple of those BRM vids and can say that Greg Drexler impresses me as well.
I love how he seems to have the attitude of doing it the way he likes and wants and if you want it that exact way then here it is.
Nico at Zeeko started the same which is why I got involved way back. And he still is hands on.
Gotta love those one man shows.

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
18 Dec 2015 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Greg rips...full stop. Bonus is that he is a very nice dude who takes the time to keep the stoke alive. I have a C2 and it is a great foil combo for light winds. This is my dream setup as well, but I haven't made my Paipo yet. Still have it mounted on an old fish until I am dialed in both natural and goofy. Interestingly I chose a Jim Stringfellow foil for the same reasons, this is the style of cruising I would like with the foil...

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Zeeko Alloy Series Foil Review" started by skebstebamal