Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Which Surfboard type to start with?

Created by raffaeu > 9 months ago, 29 Apr 2016
raffaeu
195 posts
29 Apr 2016 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, I am a Kitesurfer and I can say my level is medium. I can self-launch, self-land, ride on light and heavy wind, small jumps and jibe. I also Windsurf (same level) and SUP.Now, I would like to buy a surfboard for my Kitesurf gear-set. Primary I will use the surfboard for freeride (between 15-25 knots) and small waves and choppy water but even in flat water conditions if it happens.

I have a Cabrinha and an RRD dealers near by so I would prefer to choose one of these two brands. All my gears are North but right now I am in Turkey and they do not sell North Kiteboard here and I don't want to deal with cargo.

I am 1.72 cm
70 kg

What do you suggest me? Regarding the Cabrinha 2016, there is no guide online that tells me which one is better for freeride, small waves style. North kiteboard has more info about their board.

strekke
70 posts
29 Apr 2016 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

If you want to buy a first surfboard to learn strapless I would go for a North Nugget because it's superstable and fun in light winds and small waves. Once you get better and want a surfboard that's better for bigger waves/more wind you can get a "real" surfboard. The Nugget will never be wasted because on light wind days it will save you many, many sessions + it's still fun to ride even if you are more experienced (great for learning tricks/little jumps etc.). I think Cabrinha's similar board is the Secret Weapon, but whether it will be as efficient/fun as the nugget I do not know...

Brohan
VIC, 528 posts
30 Apr 2016 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
strekke said..
If you want to buy a first surfboard to learn strapless I would go for a North Nugget because it's superstable and fun in light winds and small waves. Once you get better and want a surfboard that's better for bigger waves/more wind you can get a "real" surfboard. The Nugget will never be wasted because on light wind days it will save you many, many sessions + it's still fun to ride even if you are more experienced (great for learning tricks/little jumps etc.). I think Cabrinha's similar board is the Secret Weapon, but whether it will be as efficient/fun as the nugget I do not know...

I wouldn't go for a short fat board if you're looking to use it up to 25 knots. I'd look a a 5'8" board that's not to wide, I found on my nugget it was harder to jibe because it was so wide and buoyant that the chop would move it around more. I'd just buy a cheap second hand surfboard to learn on and then splash out on a kite surfboard.

bjw
NSW, 3584 posts
30 Apr 2016 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

Cab make good boards, and they hold a bit of volume without going to wide like the nugget.

The Phenom 5 11 could be an awesome board to learn on. 5 8 if you are a bit lighter or want to use straps.

warwickl
NSW, 2174 posts
30 Apr 2016 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Buy a second hand traditional short surfboard about 6 ft to 6 2 about 18.75" wide with medium to low rocker. Practice on flat water till you are comfortable then hit the waves. Low investment for the most fun and learning curve.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
30 Apr 2016 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

^ I disagree. That style of board will suck for small waves and freestyle. The OP would be better off with a "secret weapon" or short fish style shape.

offshore
NSW, 40 posts
30 Apr 2016 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

I have had 6 different surfboards but the vanguard/vader style parallel rail board is by far the best.

You can get a board much shorter but with the same surface area.

Volume is the most over rated statistic on a surfboard. It is surface area that you need to look at.

The parallel also allows you to have superior upwind ability and cruise through dead patches

Plummet
4862 posts
1 May 2016 2:45AM
Thumbs Up

Small waves, chop and flat water. Why the hell bother with a surfboard?

Get yourself a mutant!.

warwickl
NSW, 2174 posts
1 May 2016 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

I understand where the guys since my last post are coming from.
They are very capable kiters and possibly lost the understanding of the progression for thoes starting into strapless surfboard pleasures.
Again I encourage buy a short surfboard practice transitions till natural then decide where and if you need to spend bigger $.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
2 May 2016 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

He's in Turkey though Warwick. I wonder what's available....

raffaeu
195 posts
9 May 2016 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

So, because now here in Turkey only North, SlingShot and Cabrinha are available I choose to buy the Slingshot Celeritas 5'8" with straps.I found the board very forgiving and light, works great in flat/chops and with my Evo 8 + 11 mt is a perfect combo, at least until I will start to figure out how to stop dragging my back and how to plan, then I will also buy an Evo 6 for the very windy days.

I went to some local kite schools and they all told me to buy the SlingShot Celeritas 5.9" or the North Whip, not to choose the Nugget because I won't be able to use it at all during the winter season.

With straps it is not such a complicated thing but I can't even imagine myself riding the Celeritas strapeless, I hope I will be able to master it one day but now it looks like impossible to me.

Bara
WA, 647 posts
10 May 2016 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Raffaeu

Where abouts are you in Turkey? Im going to be in Marmaris for around 3 weeks from next week - are there any decent kite spots nearby this time of year that you know?

Had resigned to waiting till we hit Greece in June but a few kites before then would sure be good.

cheers
John

Stewynew
32 posts
10 May 2016 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bara said...
Raffaeu

Where abouts are you in Turkey? Im going to be in Marmaris for around 3 weeks from next week - are there any decent kite spots nearby this time of year that you know?

Had resigned to waiting till we hit Greece in June but a few kites before then would sure be good.

cheers
John

John you have a spot called Gokova just 20mins drive away, go look it up. You might be lucky and the wind will have started now.

raffaeu
195 posts
10 May 2016 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stewynew said..

Bara said...
Raffaeu

cheers
John

John you have a spot called Gokova just 20mins drive away, go look it up. You might be lucky and the wind will have started now.

Hi, so I live more north, in Izmir. Actually, in my own opinion, the best spot is where I live. You can go to Urla to find a big big gulf with super flat water and in shore wind about 15-20 knots almost daily or you can go to Cesme (nearby) in Pirlanta Beach to find a good mix of waves and tuorists all together in the water.Marmaris I don't know honestly but I am sure you have Gokova which is also a good spot but the water in Gokova is ugly compared to marmaris.

Bara
WA, 647 posts
11 May 2016 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys ill check out Gokova next week though looking at the forecast its going to need a big wind funnel effect to get going at this stage

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Which Surfboard type to start with?" started by raffaeu