Created by troytam > 9 months ago, 10 Aug 2018
eppo
WA, 9372 posts
16 Aug 2018 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

When has pimp advertising added value?

Maybe it does. Who knows. Maybe I am
back with the flip phones?

Do we all just play along with your obvious plug in the name of adding value?

You Keep innovating, i suppose Troytam.

estebandf
2 posts
17 Aug 2018 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

I will be getting a Switch Element 6 12mt. anytime soon...

Adam'KiteRepair
NSW, 331 posts
17 Aug 2018 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

Personally Iv never advocated for any one brand, nor do I push against another. I deal with lots of brands in my profession, and love to see innovation. I have been very lucky to call myself a friend of Ozone for the past couple years though. And if listening to advise from Mr Tool who has been in the industry much longer then iv been in trousers makes him my mentor, which it does, lol, Ill own that with pride. But steve knows aswell as anyone else who know me personelly, that i speak for myself and advocate for what I believe in. In regards to bridle placement, as an Engineer, Im not super excited about a set up like Buzz kites, its nothing against buzz kites, i enjoyed flying their kites. Even taught my little sister on one. Obviously a completely different bridle ia going to significantly change performance, or I wouldnt have been doing custom bridles for kites in the mid to late 2000s. When designing(generally speaking, Im NO kite designer) I feel its important to concider functionality. In a single kite session im not going to change an entire bridle set to achieve performance, Ill just ride what I have, but if I have the ability to quickly change a setting on a "1inch" bridle(actually 2") and hop on my twin tip to go to a more advanced freestyle feel, I will. Full disclosure!... I rode Reos for a year and decided to go to Enduros based on my ability to get the feel of two disciplines out of one kite. I ride wave 95% of the time. Does it work for me, yes, will I tell others, yes. Will it work for for everyone else? I dont know, ask them.
Peace yall!

Hwy1North
129 posts
18 Aug 2018 4:52AM
Thumbs Up

"Available Colours - Love Them All ..."
Is this whole post a joke? I can't see any difference between the V4 and V5 colors or graphics...well maybe an inch of difference! Can anyone here confirm that the pics are production images?

Regarding the bridle attachment length adjustment: I'm thinking that if you add an inch to the A1 line, then the kite will flatten a tad making the angle of attack better suited for upwind/offshore riding and unhooked riding. Shortening it would pull the wingtips in making it more direct feeling, a little more on/off, and slightly less angle of attack for better powered down the line turning. Am I correct?

ozonekites.com/images/uploads/products/Reo-V4-Bridle-Check.pdf

"Variable advertisement Geometry."
Yeah, seems like a bit of fluff advertisement and not a gear review, but I for one appreciate a bit of tease before the bottoms come off...

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
18 Aug 2018 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Switch had a similar bridle adjustment point on the Element 5. You could definitely feel the difference in bar pressure & turning speed. I never changed it to suite conditions as I only kite in onshore slop.
My current kites - Drifters have only been flown set to the onshore setting, never needed the offshore but maybe one day...

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
18 Aug 2018 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

I'm buying a Naish they have shark teeth on the trailing edge, apparently improved gnarlyness and total bad ass

PondLover
WA, 3 posts
21 Aug 2018 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, there is only one way to see for yourself what the new Ozone Reo V5 performs like, give Jason from West Oz Kiteboarding a call on 0411 510 514. Its not going to be for everyone, but if you are a dedicated wave rider then its worth a test run.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
21 Aug 2018 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PondLover said..
Its not going to be for everyone, but if you are a dedicated wave rider then its worth a test run.

I didn't know Cauncy was a dedicated wave rider...

beefarmer
WA, 328 posts
21 Aug 2018 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Im looking for a new ozone reo v4, 5m. Sounds like the v5s are great, so i guess the remaining v4s will be nice and cheap now

Cmon ozone pimp guys whos got one and how much will you sell one to me for

If the v5s are as good as suggested here ill have to get one, next year

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
22 Aug 2018 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
beefarmer said..
Im looking for a new ozone reo v4, 5m. Sounds like the v5s are great, so i guess the remaining v4s will be nice and cheap now

Cmon ozone pimp guys whos got one and how much will you sell one to me for

If the v5s are as good as suggested here ill have to get one, next year

Action sports & west oz have some ex demo v4s,

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
23 Aug 2018 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Reo v5 looks nice but for the same price I can get 2 x Switch Helium 3 *shrugs*

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
24 Aug 2018 6:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
troytam said..

eppo said..
There's giving detailed feedback on a kites performance after riding it for some time(and an opinion or course ) and there's this post.

Its an entirely new level of pimping BS which I completely admire to be honest.

Revisit the first post and tell me otherwise.

Eppo - do you ever add value ?

just curious..

Marketing moves in an array ways, look at the smart phone (the one you're on right now possibly) - they SOLD you on some new pimped up marketing B.S.

Back when the flip phones were the all the go, we all would of laughed at such a marketing ploy to call this new device 'a smart phone'...

worked on you !

I understand that brands must innovate, both their words and their gear. For that I am stoked because the Kiting industry keeps moving in a positive direction .

What I fail to understand, is that when a person has nothing truly positive to add - why they feel the need to waste their own time because they think they have to speak. (Always)

im sure you have value Eppo - I look forward to seeing it one day :)

I think you started it when you put this post here which has truly nothing positive to add to the reviews section

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
24 Aug 2018 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Alysum said..

And someone will get your second hand kites for next to nothing, so tbh you may shell out less initially but it comes back and bites you, personally i think switch kites arnt bad value for money until you try to move them on, depends how much coin youve got
cheers

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
24 Aug 2018 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..

Alysum said..

And someone will get your second hand kites for next to nothing, so tbh you may shell out less initially but it comes back and bites you, personally i think switch kites arnt bad value for money until you try to move them on, depends how much coin youve got
cheers

I've noticed a plethora of overpriced kites in the For Sale section. "Perfect condition, doesn't leak, no repairs except for the small repair on the leading edge where it ripped in half. Imma gunna need RRP less 20% for it."

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
25 Aug 2018 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..

Alysum said..

cheers

I'd rather spend $800 on a brand new kite and not sell it (or sell for $200) than shell out $1900 for a kite I have to force myself and struggle to sell for 800/900 later. Make the math on how much you lose

And FYI I've not had issues selling my kites.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
25 Aug 2018 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Alysum said..

cauncy said..

Alysum said..

cheers

I'd rather spend $800 on a brand new kite and not sell it (or sell for $200) than shell out $1900 for a kite I have to force myself and struggle to sell for 800/900 later. Make the math on how much you lose

From my experience Switch kites are very easy to sell 2nd hand & you loose about half what you would loose on a big brand kite (unless you buy them on sale).

What Switch kites did you have cauncy?

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
25 Aug 2018 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

PondLover said..
Its not going to be for everyone, but if you are a dedicated wave rider then its worth a test run.

I didn't know Cauncy was a dedicated wave rider...

Neither did i
dont mind knocking the top off them, use them as a launchpad and a good old roundhouse

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
25 Aug 2018 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..

Alysum said..

cauncy said..

Alysum said..

cheers

From my experience Switch kites are very easy to sell 2nd hand & you loose about half what you would loose on a big brand kite (unless you buy them on sale).

What Switch kites did you have cauncy?

Had a fly of nitros , didn't own one, but they look nicely put together for the money

Youngbreezy
WA, 938 posts
28 Aug 2018 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Alysum said..

I would take 1 reo v5 over 2 switch helium 3 any day!!

Let's take a second to touch base with reality and stop pretending the 2 would be even remotely comparable in performance.

The Reo is in its 5th version of a refined and dedicated design. It has been in the top 5 wave kites for the last 5 years+, as far as pedigree goes this one is pretty hard to beat.

The helium 3 is essentially the first run of a full range of sizes based off a light wind kite which was not particularly popular or had a lot of traction in the market. Also we are supposed to believe that switch have produced a super light weight foil and surf kite whilst still keeping 3 struts and it's going to be durable enough to last???

For full disclosure I am not a shop guy and currently ride airush kites.

From my experience with the element 4, despite the fact I am sure they have made improvement since then, i won't be buying switch again. The build quality was good but the design felt very unrefined and flying characteristics were poor. The kite was prone to overshooting the window and dropping out of the sky at random. This is not something I can accept in a kite i use in serious wave conditions.

I am sorry to be brand bashing but I honestly think if you imagine your getting just as good of a kite for half the price then you are kidding yourself

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
28 Aug 2018 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

yeh, can't really argue with the logic above.... but some will, illogically.

Waveswindy
NSW, 114 posts
1 Oct 2018 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Came to read a review about the V5... Go figure not much to read.

Tested one today in light wind conditions on my surboard. The kite felt very smooth in turning, reasonably quick and drifted well downwind. Only negative is the power ...the 10 felt like 9.5 / 9. When the wind picked up the kite got a lot more lively.

Looking forward to testing the kite in stronger wind and proper turns....

I've been riding core kites for the last 7 years and currently testing alternatives. Still love my core but change is apparently good?

ReefWalker
WA, 115 posts
1 Oct 2018 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
EugeneZA said..
Came to read a review about the V5... Go figure not much to read.

Tested one today in light wind conditions on my surfboard. The kite felt very smooth in turning, reasonably quick and drifted well downwind. Only negative is the power ...the 10 felt like 9.5 / 9. When the wind picked up the kite got a lot more lively.

Looking forward to testing the kite in stronger wind and proper turns....

I've been riding core kites for the last 7 years and currently testing alternatives. Still love my core but change is apparently good?

Keen on your thoughts when the wind kicks in.
Are you gonna try the new Core Nexus?

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
2 Oct 2018 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

troytam said..

eppo said..
There's giving detailed feedback on a kites performance after riding it for some time(and an opinion or course ) and there's this post.

Its an entirely new level of pimping BS which I completely admire to be honest.

Revisit the first post and tell me otherwise.

Eppo - do you ever add value ?

just curious..

Marketing moves in an array ways, look at the smart phone (the one you're on right now possibly) - they SOLD you on some new pimped up marketing B.S.

Back when the flip phones were the all the go, we all would of laughed at such a marketing ploy to call this new device 'a smart phone'...

worked on you !

I understand that brands must innovate, both their words and their gear. For that I am stoked because the Kiting industry keeps moving in a positive direction .

What I fail to understand, is that when a person has nothing truly positive to add - why they feel the need to waste their own time because they think they have to speak. (Always)

im sure you have value Eppo - I look forward to seeing it one day :)

Doesn't sound like you've ever actually used a flip phone.

Who's alternate log in are you? You're certainly all about the value...
"One day you might actually add valuable content to this site - Very obvious you only offer feedback on Reo kites - guess what kite you ride.."
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/Review/BWS-Kites-2?page=1#lastpost

Isn't it ironic. Don't you think.

It's like rain on your wedding day.

blastkite
12 posts
8 Oct 2018 3:34AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry just seen this second post about the V5 Reo and this thread is prob more appropriate.

Falco
102 posts
8 Oct 2018 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Nice video Mr blast, looks like your frothing on the new kite. Can you give a comparison of the reo and Peter Lynn swell both look like nice kites

Plummet
4862 posts
8 Oct 2018 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

My trusty old 2012 8m cat expired about 800m out to sea a month or 2 back. Then the safety snapped and the kite farked off, So i was a dude bobbing up and down in the ocean. Started the long swim back to shore. Managed to hail down one of the 2 other kiters out. He was a learner and didn't know how to drag me in. So I had to teach him on the fly. He dragged me in and saved me a stupid long swim.

So... enter in the new 8m which is an ex-demo enduro V1. After fiddling with the settings over a few rides I've got it to slightly worse than my old cat for foiling and slightly better for boosting. There's certainly no game changer performance difference in 6 years of design improvements. But Hey. Its a kite and it flies and doesn't tear apart when I'm stupid distances out at sea, So I am happy.

blastkite
12 posts
8 Oct 2018 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Falco said..
Nice video Mr blast, looks like your frothing on the new kite. Can you give a comparison of the reo and Peter Lynn swell both look like nice kites

Plummet glad to hear it worked out for you in the end!

We have used both the Peter Lynn Swells and Ozone Reo's alongside each other for the past few years.

I usually went for the 7m Swell over the Reo, Mrs.Blast would choose the Reo as it was generally less "grunty" and was better at the top end.
The new V5 seems better low end from the few sessions I've had on it.

I also find the the new V5 has better depower, it feels very just more solid in the air, even though it is very very light weight as a kite.

On the V4 I always felt it would be better on shorter length lines around the 22m instead of the standard 25m however on this V5 it worked exceptionally well, pivoting tight turns when needed and dumping power effortlessly.

The Swell V3 is also a great kite, maybe not quite as "refined" as the Reo though, it's just simpler/construction/materials overall....but we still rate it very highly...it also boosts quite well in the smaller sizes when lit!

The bar and lines on the PL are also very simple, stock off the shelf affair but the new click in QR on the Ozone is pretty sweet....add the overall feel of the bar etc and it's a very very nice package.

marty72
QLD, 298 posts
9 Oct 2018 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

I've had the Red V5 for a week now and had 4 sessions on it so heres what I found. I have to say that changing the bridle set up works well for me, I've actually came in and changed it mid session when the wind went from cross shore to slightly more side on and it made a difference. Where I find the V5 really differs from he V4 or other kites is in light winds, I like to ride my fish style groveller surfboard from about 10 knots when my standard kiteboard just won't get going but what I found with other kites is that even though the bigger wider board gets plaining super early and goes up wind, once you get on the wave and try to bear away down the wave the kite lines tend to get slack and its hard work to keep the kite flying down the line. However I was super surprised how the V5 feels super stable and just keeps flying down the line without any hint of the lines going slack.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"What NEW GEAR Are You Getting This Season ... (ME) --> OZONE REO V5" started by troytam