Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Waterproof phone

Created by munro > 9 months ago, 5 Mar 2014
munro
WA, 28 posts
5 Mar 2014 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

There are a few reasons for the need to carry a phone kitting for me, in case of injury, stranded and monitoring a monitored alarm system. Music function also possible.

Didnt see much on here but there was a post on the windsurfers side about the lifeproof phone cover so I thought to ad my two bobs worth.

Well... after testing the lifeproof on a iphone 5S this whole season it has worked fine.

Be sure to put some rubber safe grease (lithium will do I think) on the oring and leave the phone in the cover, dont ever remove. The cover has a point to attach some string and I wear it as neck strap attached, tucked in the front of my wetsuit.

Touch screen can be tricky with wet hands but possible or you could use siri, and you cant make calls whispering, you need to speak clearly for the other person to hear.

I get massive amounts of time on the water and Ive tested this 50 sessions or more this season. Make sure you get genuine not a china copy.

Hope this might help someone, cheers guys.

Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
6 Mar 2014 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
munro said..

There are a few reasons for the need to carry a phone kitting for me, in case of injury, stranded and monitoring a monitored alarm system. Music function also possible.

Didnt see much on here but there was a post on the windsurfers side about the lifeproof phone cover so I thought to ad my two bobs worth.

Well... after testing the lifeproof on a iphone 5S this whole season it has worked fine.

Be sure to put some rubber safe grease (lithium will do I think) on the oring and leave the phone in the cover, dont ever remove. The cover has a point to attach some string and I wear it as neck strap attached, tucked in the front of my wetsuit.

Touch screen can be tricky with wet hands but possible or you could use siri, and you cant make calls whispering, you need to speak clearly for the other person to hear.

I get massive amounts of time on the water and Ive tested this 50 sessions or more this season. Make sure you get genuine not a china copy.

Hope this might help someone, cheers guys.

Great tip! I want something similar but for Nokia phones so I can record my kiting via GPS and SportsTracker.

8Phill8
WA, 26 posts
6 Mar 2014 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Just got a life proof for my Samsung s4 And it works a treat no water ingress at all but as you said can be a little tricky to navigate your phone when it's wet. ... Great for downwinders

DANEgerous
VIC, 253 posts
6 Mar 2014 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Pfft, my Sony Xperia Z1 is water proof out of the box, no case required.

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
7 Mar 2014 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DANEgerous said..

My Sony Xperia Z died very quickly .... piece of rubbish. I now wrap my new Z1 in three plastic zip lock lunch bags.

And there is a foot note saying a Z1 is waterproof in everything but salt water!!!!!!

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
7 Mar 2014 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DANEgerous said..

My Sony Xperia Z died very quickly .... piece of rubbish. I now wrap my new Z1 in three plastic zip lock lunch bags.

And there is a foot note saying a Z1 is waterproof in everything but salt water!!!!!!

Plummet
4862 posts
7 Mar 2014 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

Why is your cat so pissed off munro?

arloj
WA, 237 posts
7 Mar 2014 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

Yep I have a lifeproof case for my 5s, so many accessories like the arm band which is great for kiting. Always have some tunes playing when I'm kiting alone with my waterproof headphones

munro
WA, 28 posts
7 Mar 2014 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

I dont trust the armband, not in surf anyway, too easy for the velcro to be pulled apart. Be warned!

TomW059
183 posts
14 Mar 2014 6:25AM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

I work for Sony Mobile as Senior Design Manager, responsible for Smartwear, but work closely with design team on telephones.
Xperia Z and Z1 are IP 58. 5 means dust proof level and 8 means waterproof level. The 8 level protocoll is 30 min in 1 m water. Not using buttons underwater. The product is just underwater. Remove phone and it will work.
Of course the connector covers have be in place and not damaged.
We design them with safety margin, but cannot claim more than ip58. If you use a simple plastic bag with ziplock or clip seal, it will take more.
Water spray can easily loosen connector covers, and let in water.
To be honest, I dont know fir sure why salt water is a problem. It could be corrosion after submerssion, or problems with the touch screen sensor.
Ive had mine in surf short pocket and got pounded in shore break on Cap Verde. Super salty. Used it on water while susing. No problems.

Granted, im not worried because if it breaks I just get a new one. So if I was doing it with my own hard earned money, id have a sandwich bag over it in those conditions. But if you are just going to fall in water once or twice, on accident, ive done it many many times without problem.

Z1 has open, but waterproof 3,5mm audio jack. If you get sand and salt water in it, it could screw it up. Make sure you wash it out with fresh water after a salty swim.

Regards, Tom

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Waterproof phone" started by munro