Thumbs Up

Rider: 82 kg intermediate
Style: Freeriding
Weather: 15-25 knots
Build Quality: 8/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure: I pay for my gear

My Comments:
Out of the bag; heaps of extras, spare pigtails,big repair patches for both the canopy and the bladder, with heaps of sticker and extras to tune the kite. The backpack is Oakley quality with a big pocket for the bar, a pump holder and extension if I want to keep the struts inflated. Also, an extra bag which is convenient if you want to wash the kite once you get home.

The bar is very light, Alex supplied me with the bigger bar as he reckons the kite flies better with it. It wasn't until i got the kite in the air that I could appreciate how comfortable the bar was.

The kite doesn't have a one pump system, which didn't bother me as I am used to pumping up struts individually on my Takoon, it allows for more pressure in the struts and as the punch is low aspect,only three struts,so it doesn't take any extra time.

The kite really needs to be pumped up as hard as possible. My other kites are older so I am always worried about over inflation. However, I noticed that the Punch, although I thought I had the correct pressure, probably needed a few more pumps than I gave it.

Lines and bridles are all colour coded with tabs on each line saying Light wind, high wind, so set up was nearly idiot proof. I flew the kite right out of the bag, not making any adjustments.

After the launch I played around on the beach with the kite to get a feel for it. No great surprises, probably a little quicker than I expected, and every time a gust came it gave me a steady and controllable pull. I thought the depower was great, more Bow kitish than delta, which gave me alot of confidence.

One the water: I was riding a 139cm X 40 cm Stonker twin tip. The first thing I noticed was the pull of the kite. As soon as the wind dropped a little I centered the kite in the wind window and was planning at full speed again. after a few runs I thought I would try a bit of boosting and this is where the kite shined for me. I had read that the Punch does not get the height of other kites so I was not prepared for any big jumps. My first jump was small and controlled, on the second jump I dived the kite quite low and then brought it back to the zenith nice and powered. Well I went up and up and up, actually had a big Oh **** moment before I depowered the kite and came down for a nice soft landing. Once I got used to the boosting I had some nice jumps and soft landings which gave me more confidence to go higher.

Alot of reviews I read said that the kite sat well back in the wind window. Actually, I did not notice this, compared to my Ozone Instinct or my Takoon Enova. Further, the upwind performance of the kite is awesome. I have never had any problem staying upwind ( ex- windsurfer), but I noticed how far upwind the punch allowed me to go compared with other kites on the water.

On the first couple of runs I used the depower, but once I got into boosting I powered the kite up. I always felt in control and found the kite nice and forgiving, and it had a lot to forgive.

This is what I love about the Punch:
- 6 cm mylar strip across the trailing edge.
-Big thick struts that don't bend much when under inflated
-The artwork on the Punch is awesome, I reckon it looks better than the black edition, and every time I see Carrot Bar written on the Bar I have a laugh.
- heaps of depower, I found that while boosting I had to remember to push the bar out to come down, I know that sounds silly but I had many moments when I just could not believe how high I was.
-Colour coding of the line and idiot proof setup.
-heaps of extras that came with the kite.
-bag quality.

What I am unsure of:
- Leading edge quality and the print of the motive. I do a lot of self launching and landing so I guess time will tell as to how they stand up.

Conclusion: I did not have a test run of the kite before I purchased it. What sold me was the outline of the kite, the awesome graphic and Alex from Stonkers stoke as he explain the pros and cone of the kite. Because of the depower I believe it would be an ideal kite for a learner to purchase which would bring them though all the progression of kite surfing without buying a learners kite and wanting more performance in 6 months time.

Bucket list. Mr Green and Big Mama

EnglishCraig
NSW, 406 posts
6 Apr 2013 12:13AM
Thumbs Up

I have stuck a review of my mr green (as well as the punch) on sb fairly recentlylet me know if u can't find it

Ercorn
QLD, 199 posts
6 Apr 2013 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

Yes, I think I read your review before I purchased the kite, thanks.

I just wanted to write a bit of a review as I don't get my hands on new gear very often.

Ugly
WA, 202 posts
6 Apr 2013 6:57AM
Thumbs Up

watch out rabbits breed
next thing you know you will have 5 of them

eppo
WA, 8724 posts
6 Apr 2013 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

Nice review Ercorn. Ride a lot with a smoke and boss rider, he goes big to!

Really rate this kite hey.

Ercorn
QLD, 199 posts
7 Apr 2013 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Eppo. Had another session on it yesterday. The wind was a little lighter but stayed upwind without any problems and managed a few nice jumps. The stoke level is still pretty high.

Quite hard to write a review when the kites I am comparing the Punch against are quite old, as I believe that any modern kite would be better than what I was riding.

I tossed up between the Punch and the Boss, but after riding the Punch I believe that the 10.5 was the correct decision and will be my main kite.

I am sure the little rabbits will multiply here.

All I have to do is be nice to my better half and collect some brownie points before I mention a new kite.

zarb
NSW, 603 posts
7 Apr 2013 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

I love the graphics on the white editions. Wainman were the first kites I saw when I looked at the sport and they paint a pretty picture

Coming from Hawaii, how are these in terms of wave-pedigree?

eppo
WA, 8724 posts
7 Apr 2013 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

The rabbits are all rounders. But from my experience wave riding is their forte on the all rounder spectrum. They do boost, they can be good for some freestyle, but wave riding they are better than average. In my opinion.

EnglishCraig
NSW, 406 posts
8 Apr 2013 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

Google for kungers recent video that shows the freestyle capabilities of these kites nicely!!

dafrog
321 posts
8 Apr 2013 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

zarb said...
I love the graphics on the white editions. Wainman were the first kites I saw when I looked at the sport and they paint a pretty picture

Coming from Hawaii, how are these in terms of wave-pedigree?

Lou Wainman is from Hawaii... The kites are Polish... Like Xenon for boards... Good brands coming out of this unexpected place...

Nate KSO
QLD, 91 posts
9 Apr 2013 11:34PM
Thumbs Up

Nice reveiw on the punch looking forward to ripping it on one in the near future...
Loving the 7.5 mr green and 9m smoke both white edition that I currently have in my quiver...
If your in Qld and want to try out a Wainman kite or board call Nat Katterns on 0402332777
See you in the waves...
Nathan.

Ercorn
QLD, 199 posts
10 Apr 2013 6:42AM
Thumbs Up

I will be adding Mr. Green to my quiver soon I reckon.

STELLA01
WA, 125 posts
10 Apr 2013 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Purchased a Punch the other day totally blown away by the performance. Was out and planing on a 135 twin tip whilst other 12m kites were struggling. Wind picked up to about 20Kn and the kite excelled, only one problem, can't afford to change to full Wainman quiver.

Ercorn
QLD, 199 posts
10 Apr 2013 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

STELLA01 said...
Purchased a Punch the other day totally blown away by the performance. Was out and planing on a 135 twin tip whilst other 12m kites were struggling. Wind picked up to about 20Kn and the kite excelled, only one problem, can't afford to change to full Wainman quiver.

I played around with the high wind settings on the Punch today (20-25 knots). I found that you probably don't have to touch this until 30 knots as it really depowered the kite a lot, maybe too much for the conditions. Same forecast tomorrow so will try light wind settings.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Wainman Punch 10.5 (white edition)" started by Ercorn