Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Wainman Mr Green 7.5

Created by EnglishCraig > 9 months ago, 10 Dec 2012
EnglishCraig
NSW, 406 posts
10 Dec 2012 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

My Comments:
First ride on my Mr Green yesterday- very brief and the wind was anywhere between 37-45 knots so all I can really say at the moment is I survived it & that the kit can take the worst the wind gods throw at it!!

Nb I weigh over 90 kilos and have been kiting for over 5 years but it was still far too windy for comfort even on a kite this small!!

Rossall
WA, 690 posts
11 Dec 2012 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah must admit my fav kite at the moment, great in waves yet still boosts huge

Ugly
WA, 205 posts
11 Dec 2012 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

PommyCraig
when you say in the description over 90 kg are we talking the 3 figure side of 95kg or the other side as this is a big variation.

EnglishCraig
NSW, 406 posts
12 Dec 2012 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

Over 90 as in a bit over 90 ... About 92 at the moment

Ugly
WA, 205 posts
12 Dec 2012 7:31AM
Thumbs Up

Craig
i am the other side of 95 and really close to the 100kg and at times over and have found Mr green a great kite in anything over 25 knots and up to about 35 knots
Like supper stable and fast through the wind window and as with the wainman that little bit of forgiveness if you stuff up. from the gen 1 range i still have the gypsy and use this in anything over the 30 to 40 give and take the wind speed, in general i do not depower a kite if doing freestyle as i find that the aspect just is not the same and this has been with any brand i have owned or tried.
I do depower in the waves to let it drift and then back to full power on toes side, have tried used Mr Green in 20 knots in the waves just find being a fat old prick i like a bit of back up power.
What are your comments on the de powering aspect of the kite.

EnglishCraig
NSW, 406 posts
12 Dec 2012 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

Hi ugly (why did u pick that name?!?)

I had the kite excessively depowered at first, on high wind pigtail and depowered on the trim strap

In this instance and bearing in mind how gusty it was the kite flapped a lot and felt unstable, it behaved a lot better and was far more comfortable when I released the trim strap most of te way, kite was still very depowered just need to bear in mind those pig tails make a lot of difference.

I think my preferred way of setting up the punch and mr green is to use the middle pigtails, this seems to give me the right level of adjustability at the bar

Hope that makes sense?

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
12 Dec 2012 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

Great to see an honest review of the top end of the kite coming from a team rider for a change instead of the usual "yeah, i could hold it in 70 knots with only an inch of depower pulled in and I felt perfectly fine"

Ugly
WA, 205 posts
12 Dec 2012 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Craig
i have use the middle pig tall and some depower on the bar on the 12 and found this worked in wind were it was just okay for the kite size and was able to sheet out in the gusts and let the depower out to maintain board speed.
when the wind is on again i will try the middle pig tail on the Mr Green and let you know.I have my settings on the fastest turning speed which relay helps with the air transitions on my wave board if you need to get the hell out of there [ chicken out]
been out kiting for 11 years and seen the kites progress and have ridden a few different brands however cannot fault the wainmans as they seen to do all i can ask of them and have put them through some rough old spots for launching and landing and they seen to take the punishment.

Yes what you have said makes sence. and thanks.
As for the Ugly bit, nickname form 30 years ago from my mate in the Variety Club where we were members and raised a truck load of money for KIds, and it has stuck.

EnglishCraig
NSW, 406 posts
12 Dec 2012 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

Ugly - let me know how u get on and good work on the variety club mate- that's an awesome way to get a bad nick name!

Saffer thanks for the positive comments, I don't see any point in pimping reviews as to be honest u end up at a point where the information
Is useless because you do not know where the truth ends and the b/s begins!

DANEgerous
VIC, 253 posts
13 Dec 2012 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone tried it without the bridles? I've only had 1 sesh so far in really gusty conditions. I had it on the upwind setting (only upwind or downwind options when no bridle). I found it always just sat around towards the edge of the wind window and didn't pull great. I guess I should have expected that. Will I sacrifice much upwind performance by changing it to the downwind setting? Or should I chuck the bridles back on (I love the idea of bridless simplicity)?

EnglishCraig
NSW, 406 posts
14 Dec 2012 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Hi dangerous
I have not tried it as from the sound of the info from wainman it won't work for me as they only recommend it for riders weighing less than 165lbs. I can only assume this is because the kite deforms under excess load in single line mode.

EnglishCraig
NSW, 406 posts
18 Dec 2012 1:00AM
Thumbs Up

Had a light(er) wind session on mr green roughly 22-25 knots pretty constant, flat water on 142 joke with wake boots

I was really impressed with how usable the kite was in this wind range, I had to work it at times but it made a really nice change to be riding powered, not overpowered, it really helped with trying new unhooked stuff but the kite is so fast that with some fairly aggresive steering it was still providing massive boosts!

It feels if anything even lower aspect than the punch, I would assume this is actual as well as perception given that each kite is tweaked in design to suit it's likely conditions therefore a lower aspect more stable kite would be desirable in smaller sizes

Overall definitely a more exciting kite to use than the 2011 ozone catalyst 8m it replaced

lancekenny
SA, 402 posts
18 Dec 2012 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

I use the 7.5 heaps - Im 95kgs and use a surfboard - anything over 16-18kts and Im on it - often at the light wind setting at that strength and an inch of depower which seems to be the kites sweet spot

Such a great simple kite that seems as tough as nails!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Wainman Mr Green 7.5" started by EnglishCraig