Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Underground STYX 2010 vs 2011

Created by sonya rachel > 9 months ago, 21 Nov 2011
sonya rachel
WA, 84 posts
21 Nov 2011 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

Any comments? looking for a second hand 128 or smaller, is there any major differences between the two years??

ta :)

kiter zac
QLD, 295 posts
22 Nov 2011 12:26AM
Thumbs Up

havnt ridden the 2010 but the 2011 styx is awesome. great pop, soft landings, rides smooth in both flat and choppy water. if your after a board with even more pop id go the crypt.

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
21 Nov 2011 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

You live in WA, Perth? how much do you weigh??? A 128 is perfect for most girls as they generally weigh, around 55-80kgs, there are girls boards with softer ffex, Best, and Nobile do them. Whats your skill level? The kite is the acceleration and the brakes, so spending more money on a good kite for your conditions is more important, the board is just your tyres. Happy to help.

sonya rachel
WA, 84 posts
21 Nov 2011 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Im in Albany, south of perth. I weight 70kg intermediate/advanced (do a mixture of old school and new school)
I ride 9m and 12m vegas' which i love, i have a 2006 underground flx which is great... My mate just got a 2011 132 styx, its too big for me but it seems like a great board, just not many second hand ones around in a 128.. i like the flex of them too much.. I think the crypt would be too stiff.

simonp
209 posts
22 Nov 2011 5:53AM
Thumbs Up

I'm surprised that you think the 132 Styx is too big. At 68 kg, it's the perfect size for me. I used to ride a 128 FLX as well but the 132 glides through lulls a bit better and easier to ride toeside or blind.
I'm almost tempted to go bigger and wake-styley, something with a bit more rocker, lots of channels and little or no fins. It would be good for the estuaries near where I live but I suspect Albany is a bit more open ocean, the Styx is great in chop. Awesome beaches down your way, I'd love to do a kite trip of southern WA one day.

sonya rachel
WA, 84 posts
22 Nov 2011 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah its prett good down here, mostly flat water kiting though, in the harbour and over at augusta. im only 168cm tall ive always ridden a 128 so the 132 just felt too hard to move around in the air. Quite wide aswell.

jobic
WA, 59 posts
22 Nov 2011 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Haven't ridden the 2010 either but the shape looks quite different so I think it's a whole different board.
I'm ridding a 2011 Crypt which is the same as the Styx and it's an awesome board. Despite it's quite stiff, you don't feel it even in the chop and the board doesn't spray in your face at all, probably due to the weird shape of the tips.
I'm 65kg and I've upgraded to that one from a 128 FLX. I believe I made the right choice. Don't be afraid to go for a bigger board, this one has way more control than the FLX.
A good alternative is the North Xride 130x39 with nicer pads/straps than the UDG. Usually the girls love it because of the comfy pads.... Plenty of them on the used market as well...

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
25 Nov 2011 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

i had a run on the new styx up here in dongara ,water conditions flat on the inside ,whitewash, waves, swell, chop ,heavy chop wind 25 knts+ kite ozone edge 9 rider 92 kg, sorry i didnt like the board, too stiff didnt feel conected to the water,small amount of rocker the nose kept burying, i used more back foot pressure to lift the nose but it was a big board 140 i think,seemed to get upwind well, pop seemed well below my usual board ,switching seemed a bit sticky i had to be more aggresive,pads good fit but felt hard underfoot,i thought id get into the groove a bit with this board, but after 20 mins i left it on the beach waiting for its owner to collect he was on my shinn monk,he reckons it was the bomb, maybe didnt perform as well on the wave ,im not slagging the board it looked superb and i thought id have a ball but it just wasnt my cup of tea sorry cauncy

edhead
NSW, 54 posts
2 Dec 2011 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Regarding the Styx tip spray. How is it? Really. I had a 09 FLX which I loved on the flat water for its incomparable razor sharp rail like tracking but in any real chop , it was like the tips were expertly crafted to jet the tip spray directly into your eyeballs with marksman precision. So eventually I sold it. But I miss it on flat water as nothing has matched the hot knife through butter flat water feel of that board.
Since the 2011 FLX has the worst yellow vomit graphics I've ever seen on any board (jeez who let that one out?) and don't I want to, on principle, buy in to that horrid design ethos, I figured the Styx may shape up. So, how is the feel of the Styx compared to the FLX and how is the tip spray on the 2011 Styx?
Cheers

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
2 Dec 2011 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

dave...... said...

You live in WA, Perth? how much do you weigh??? A 128 is perfect for most girls as they generally weigh, around 55-80kgs, there are girls boards with softer ffex, Best, and Nobile do them. Whats your skill level? The kite is the acceleration and the brakes, so spending more money on a good kite for your conditions is more important, the board is just your tyres. Happy to help.

that's a pretty poor analogy... Tyres play such a massive role in car performance... whats the point of having a V8 with 6 pot brembos if you're using space saver spares which won't offer adequate traction.

having a good board is just as important as having a good kite.
Best and North both do girl specific boards which are tailored to the narrower stance, lighter weight and smaller feet of girls.

WRT the styx, I had a quick play on one recently and thought it was a good board, lively and very grippy and handled chop well.

toddws
WA, 468 posts
2 Dec 2011 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah have a look at the North Soleil,
Female specific soft flex pattern (good for lightweight riders), thinner width and with the new entity foot strap system in S/M mean it's really easy to get a good fit and connection to the board plus the new track system gives massive amount of control over :-
-Stance width.
-Placement of pad in relationship to edge of board.
-Strap placement in relationship to pad.
-Width of foot
-spread of load over foot
-choice of heel density pads to give a soft, medium or hard response (think slippers, trainers or stilletos)

You are much better off trying a female specific twintip rather than a small bloke twinnie.
if you're up in Perth we have the 131x37 and 134x38 in stock at the AKS shop but it also is available in 128x36 as a special order item.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Underground STYX 2010 vs 2011" started by sonya rachel