Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Swiveling Hook and pad.

Created by dave...... > 9 months ago, 14 Nov 2015
dave......
WA, 2119 posts
14 Nov 2015 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

My Comments:
Supposedly helps lateral torsion when riding toeside. Has a spring so you can unhook.
Ill write a review tomorrow when I test it for myself.

deanrobi
VIC, 641 posts
14 Nov 2015 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Where did you get it from Dave & what cost? been waiting for stock to arrive here in Melb for months

Gilly3
QLD, 794 posts
14 Nov 2015 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
deanrobi said..
Where did you get it from Dave & what cost? been waiting for stock to arrive here in Melb for months

Yer, been waiting for mine to arrive aswell....

Keen to hear ur review dave

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
14 Nov 2015 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Got mine at kite addiction Applecross WA. $140 RRP. Has a hook knife as well!

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
15 Nov 2015 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Grr....

doesnt fit any dakine harnesses with double straps....

Id bring my arness along if interested. If might not fir many.

decay
97 posts
15 Nov 2015 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

Been riding mine on dakine harness for a few months now. I take the dakine buckles off and thread the straps straight onto the NP bar and release

4XL
VIC, 222 posts
16 Nov 2015 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Can you post a pic/s as ive ordered a np swivel and have now relised the dakine harness might be suitable

Cheers
S

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
16 Nov 2015 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

My bad, Dakine harnesses it is a niice retro fit that places your hook lower.

This is the original, Small spreader, small pad. All bits came out easily. and the big wing pad slid in to the recess for a dakine harness. as below.

Needed to cut a little of the tabs to feed into the cleats of the harness. No worries. Put the back/down strap on the outside ad the upper strap on the inside to prevent pivoting upwards.

Its got straps on the spreader that pulls it down even further.Left hand side of the photo below.

Ride engine????A much cheaper way to make you harness feel at one with the rider.

decay
97 posts
16 Nov 2015 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

This is how I do it on my nitrous shorts. I use the smaller ez release and the pad without the side wings.

Cheers

DK

Gilly3
QLD, 794 posts
17 Nov 2015 6:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decay said..
Been riding mine on dakine harness for a few months now.

So, can u share ur thoughts on this bit of kit?

Were u using a sliding hook prior to this?

decay
97 posts
18 Nov 2015 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Gilly3,

I've been riding a pivoting hook for about 12 years - I love the concept, gives pull point close to the body for toeside/blind riding plus the ability to unhook. Nothing else I've tried gives both of these options in the one unit.

The NP bar is a much slicker piece of kit than the welded up stainless steel version I have been using - light, smooth acting and super strong.

Cheers,

DK

noodelsrominov
VIC, 265 posts
18 Nov 2015 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

Do you feel any difference when boosting?

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
18 Nov 2015 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

Got the day off and tested it today.

I love the dakine renagade harness and the pad made it feel more solid as the tabs tuck in.

Boosting, first of all you can ride upwind with your body a little more balanced at full speed. there is no dicernable difference with the loa and pop and the kite uplift.
In the air is different. A simple air to boned out grab (back hand on the back of the board), you can get a lot more twist to an inverted position and land easily. Hooked in, the pad that wraps around the harness makes it more comfortable.

Unhooking/hooking. The hook sits a little lower. Hooking back in, I found a little easier due to the bulk of the swivel..
Happy.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
18 Nov 2015 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

dave, I like the look of this bit of gear, makes sense, where'd ya get it?

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
18 Nov 2015 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Reg at Kire Addiction Myaree marched ne upstairs and was raving about them. Hadnt sold them to the windsurfing fraternity yet as would be awesome as well.

Had a box of them and it made sense to me too. Small session today yet no pressure point soreness from the hook and pad.
They had sold a few Chris, Id mabe ring up.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
18 Nov 2015 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers beers beers big ears... Good old reg hey...

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
19 Nov 2015 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

Dave - how does it feel compared to a sliding rope system?

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
25 Nov 2015 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

OK, finally tested it properly, 20-25knots at woodies on my 8m TS. 6.2 Brewer and 139 custom.
Mucked around with the tab/ wing insert.(Im cutting it down) to get the clip connected.
Once sorted the swivel on waves gets your body so much more parallel to the kite that I was able to chuck some ****ty airs toeside where I couldntd rotate the hips enough. Coming from a martial arts background, you dont do anything off-centre. I liked the dynabar the way it brought your hips forward, yet the rope stretched and thats whythere making V8? bleeding technology.

A hook "that just turns" sounds so simple. Unhooking was just the same.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Swiveling Hook and pad." started by dave......