Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Sunova Vader 5'3"

Created by toppleover > 9 months ago, 13 Mar 2016
toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
13 Mar 2016 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: Weight 73kg,Level ,intermediate,advanced, kiting about 10 years.
Style: Surf
Weather: 13-25 knots
Build Quality: 9.5/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: (paid full price)

My Comments: My previous board was a 5'2 Vangaurd, I didn't really fall in love with this board - it was ok but IMO didn't live up to the hype that preceded it. When I went to order a FireWire Vader, they were sold out so I contacted Tino from Sunova who then put me in touch with Bert Burger the designer/shaper.

Second time i rode this board, I dropped my kite & my board was washed up on rocks - $200 to repair.....then only a few sessions later, I put my bar through one of the rails. I was worried this board was jinxed but after about 30 sessions now trouble free, I am enjoying it more each time I ride it.

The finish on these boards is second to none & it's very light (3.2kg inc fins & full deck grip), there are no visible heel dents on the deck so far. I was concerned this board might be a bit big for me being 5'3 & 24.6L but it's perfect for my weight & local conditions (It's a custom, so should be).

Compared to the 5'3 FW Vader the Sunova is quite fine through the nose & tail with noticeably less volume also in the rails. I rode it back to back with the 5'3 FW Vader & preferred mine but they are both excellent boards.

This has been a really magic board for me, I can ride it in light wind as it gets up planning very quickly pushing very little water & it also goes great when the winds up & has great control. Turns on a dime, I honestly cannot fault this board - it came with glass Sunova fins (5 set) & ive settled on using it mainly as a quad.

Only negative is that its about an 8 week wait, if you want one.

NitrousOxide
NSW, 96 posts
13 Mar 2016 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

Looks very nice indeed

Does it have the exact same bottom shape though? The modern plaining hull is in my opinion the best feature of the Vader.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
13 Mar 2016 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

No, the main bottom concave is about half as deep as the Tomo & channeling is different - I think the Tomo shape might be a better design for higher wind as it does have more grip but the Sunova to me felt smoother & construction IMO is superior.

Both great boards.

NitrousOxide
NSW, 96 posts
14 Mar 2016 12:03AM
Thumbs Up

Agree the firewire Tomo is a little vulnerable to dings and compressions - that Sunova construction looks amazing.

Can they replicate the bottom concave exactly if you want?

I love my Vader - By far the best kiteboard I have ever surfed but not as durable as some boards so these Sunova boards are very appealing

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
14 Mar 2016 8:24AM
Thumbs Up

I doubt they would straight out copy the Tomo, as far I know this design is Bert,s take on the Vader design - totally different board.

But you could ask, it is a custom.

bjw
NSW, 3584 posts
14 Mar 2016 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

How did they get away with using the Vader TM, is it a Tomo?

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
15 Mar 2016 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NitrousOxide said..
Agree the firewire Tomo is a little vulnerable to dings and compressions - that Sunova construction looks amazing.

I love my Vader - By far the best kiteboard I have ever surfed but not as durable as some boards so these Sunova boards are very appealing

I have found the FST kite really durable and have even considered just going normal FST for my kiteboards. Wood construction like this is not the best. Looks great but the wood can separate and fail as I found out on one of my timbertek boards... Would never buy a timber board again. FST or PU for me.

Livit
WA, 542 posts
15 Mar 2016 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Drury said..

NitrousOxide said..

I have found the FST kite really durable and have even considered just going normal FST for my kiteboards. Wood construction like this is not the best. Looks great but the wood can separate and fail as I found out on one of my timbertek boards... Would never buy a timber board again. FST or PU for me.

Can't see any problem with the wood skin really. Maybe balsa works better than paulownia for sandwich composite?

My first Sunova is almost 2 years old and haven't had issues with the wood separating. Just a small delam around a compression area but easily fixable. Just received a new one a few weeks ago with double sandwich in foot area, 2.8kg on the scale. Will see how this one goes although Bert warned me that I will loose in flex.

Sunova crew has been great dealing with and their boards are just awesome.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
15 Mar 2016 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

According to industry insiders I've talked too, the bamboo skins dont adhere well to the core. I guess wood would have same problem...

CJ2478
NSW, 483 posts
16 Mar 2016 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Drury said..

NitrousOxide said..

Sounds more like a QC/manufacturing issue than a design issue in relation to boards with wood veneer over foam.

Remember that most kite surfboards by all the 'big brands' are constructed in this way, ie either using a wood veneer or layer of pvc foam sandwiched over an EPS blank.

Most windsurf boards also utilise this method. There is a reason why this is the case.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Sunova Vader 5'3"" started by toppleover