Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Snapped BWS safety line bungee cord. Replacement?

Created by hebbo > 9 months ago, 17 Jun 2018
hebbo
VIC, 18 posts
17 Jun 2018 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Hi there,

any one knows whether I can buy a replacement for the safety bungee cord on my BWS Noise'13 bar? They don't seem to have it for sale in their AUS online shop so wondering whether any bungee available out there would do the job.

Thanks!

Gorgo
VIC, 4911 posts
17 Jun 2018 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

The web site says to contact them if you need any help.

https://bwsurf.com.au/support/contact

I would have thought any safety line from any manufacturer would do provided the rope is the same thickness and not too short.

Kitepower or Switch are good sources for spare parts.

The cheapest and easiest is to get a length of Dyneema and splice up a new one yourself. A Brummel splice will do. There's lots of videos that show how to do them and there is a long discussion on kiteforum about it.

kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2399424

The bungy inside doesn't actually do anything useful. It just takes up the slack a little. Having your leash attached to the ring will pull any slack through. I have found the bungy breaks after about 20 hours use but the line should last forever.

That begs the question, how did you break the safety line? That stuff is almost indestructible. It's only going to break if there is a heap of wear on a single point. Has it been rubbing where it passes through the bar?

bjw
NSW, 3568 posts
18 Jun 2018 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

I agree, I'd make one up from dyneema from the boating shop. Way cheaper. Also I'd think if you put a bungee though it, only put it up the top of the line, I think that'll make it last far longer on the BWS.

bjw
NSW, 3568 posts
27 Jun 2018 6:53AM
Thumbs Up

Also .. a late thought..
The weight of your safety will act as a Bungy of some sort. Which you will want if you pull the depower a little.

It'll make sense when you ride. PM me for any help on it.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
27 Jun 2018 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bjw said..
Also .. a late thought..
The weight of your safety will act as a Bungy of some sort. Which you will want if you pull the depower a little.

It'll make sense when you ride. PM me for any help on it.

Until you trim. Then it all flaps around. That's really the situation that the bungy is for.

But you can splice one in the same as regular splicing, just gotta stitch it.

Gorgo
VIC, 4911 posts
27 Jun 2018 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

The weight of the leash pulls all the slack through and it hangs down harmlessly in front of you. That's what it does for me. Even with a long travel bar the amount of slack out the end is not an issue.

You can put bungy up through the middle of Dyneema easily enough. You can sew it, or run it out, around and back down into the core to lock it into place.

My homemade bungy lines have lasted ok, but the commercial ones have all broken after 20 or so hours. I find it simpler and cleaner to just not have any bungy.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
27 Jun 2018 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

That hook flapping around bugs me. I prefer the bungy

How do you do the out and back down? Got a pic? What thickness bungy do you use?

Gorgo
VIC, 4911 posts
27 Jun 2018 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

No pic. I worked it out then decided I preferred the cleaner finish of no bungee.

I was trying to make a bungee trim line using some 4mm dyneema and 3mm bungee with a screw on paracord needle thingy as a fid. I taped the bungee onto the splicing needle. Usually I melt the bungee so it screws into the end of the needle. The melted ends can hook onto the fibers of the dyneema when you pull it back later.

Run the bungee up the dyneema and exit wherever you want. Put a D-splicer into the dyneema 3-4cm down from the exit point and push it up until it come out the same gap as the bungee.

Pass the bungee around the back of the dyneema and back into the D-splicer. Just jam the end of the bungee into the D-splicer. Pull the bungee back until it comes out the entry hole of the D-splicer. Trim it down and smooth the dyneema around then bungee.

Cabrinha use the same technique but they sew it. I don't think the sewing is necessary. Either way the bungee always breaks in the end. I have simply straight spliced the bungee then sewn it and that seemed to work pretty nicely. The ones I made never broke.

Switch use the straight sewing technique on their safety line and I went through two of them before I gave up getting warranty replacements.

I have two problems with having bungee up the middle of lines. The main one is that bungee breaks. I think bungee is designed for big knotted attachments and semi-static loads like tonneau covers and biminis and stuff. It's not made for fiddly little sewn attachments and passing through moving fittings.

The other problem is that you start passing the bungeed end through cleats and chicken loops and stuff and you're asking for jams and tangles and wear.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
27 Jun 2018 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

Nice, thanks. I understood that :D

Cab wraps it with something to hold the stitches, I guess. I've had one on my old 2011 bars break when released the 16m in a squall cos I couldn't stop and was heading for a pier. I can't remember where it broke now, but I just tied a knot in it and got through the holiday. So it must have been below the stitching.

My experience is they all lose their elasticity. It wasn't so bad on the 2011 Cab bar as the safety was secured on the CL, but the Infinity 1 bars would sag in light wind, then in high wind would blow out and loop themselves around the center line...

I notice with the new cab TrimLite bars, they include a spare trim line that has a big bungy in it. On my 2017 bar, the Dyneema got chewed up but the bungy held. We'll see how my new. bars go...

snalberski
WA, 857 posts
4 Jul 2018 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hebbo said..
Hi there,

any one knows whether I can buy a replacement for the safety bungee cord on my BWS Noise'13 bar? They don't seem to have it for sale in their AUS online shop so wondering whether any bungee available out there would do the job.

Thanks!

That bar is the same bar as the IKON bar and several other kite brands including one of the Ocean Rodeo ones. I have had experience splicing a custom safety line for that bar and the tolerances are quite critical to allow smooth travel through the chicken loop assembly. I would buy a ready made replacement from IKON or such if I was you.

snalberski
WA, 857 posts
14 Jul 2018 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Switch kites also use the same chickenloop assembly for their controller 4 and the replacement safety bungees are available online.

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
22 Jul 2018 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

Use an Ozone one, they come in different lengths, one of which might be suitable (from memory I think there is one), if not splice some dyneema into one end to make it the right length. The bungee in the middle of the Ozone flag out lines doesn't break.

Adam'KiteRepair
NSW, 331 posts
22 Jul 2018 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ozone Kites Aus said..
Use an Ozone one, they come in different lengths, one of which might be suitable (from memory I think there is one), if not splice some dyneema into one end to make it the right length. The bungee in the middle of the Ozone flag out lines doesn't break.

Very true. They are very high quality. I useally find that bws bungies snap when the bar becomes out of tune and applys full stretched pressure on the flag out line when in fully powered position. Make sure you tune that up when applying a new one or not only will your kite fly crooked but it will snap your bungie heaps faster

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Snapped BWS safety line bungee cord. Replacement?" started by hebbo