Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Slingshot kite

Created by Fly on da wall > 9 months ago, 7 Apr 2018
Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
7 Apr 2018 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Just wondering if a Fuel would be any good. I really like the look of this particular kite but everyone at my local rides other kites and don't say good things about them. Should I go with the other brand's that all the guy's ride and say are better? Thanks for your replys.

Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
7 Apr 2018 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

There are those that sing the praises of slingshot and then those that dump them on the second hand market.

Funny they are usually the same people.

Don't have anything against slingshot, just wouldn't ever buy one ... again.

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
7 Apr 2018 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Peahi said..
There are those that sing the praises of slingshot and then those that dump them on the second hand market.

What would you suggest then?
Buzz kite, Cabrhina or Switch or another brand to help me progress

I'm confused atm

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
7 Apr 2018 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Peahi said..

I just did some Google research n Carlos Mario, Karolina Winkoska and Sam Light have nothing for sale.. And same goes for Youri Zoon. I'm really confused with your reply about this brand and Slingshot FUELs question. Where do you kite?

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
8 Apr 2018 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

Hey man. Iv got a 9m for big loops. And to be honest, it scares the **** out of me haha.
What sort of riding are you into?

Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
8 Apr 2018 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fly on da wall said..

Peahi said..

What would you suggest then?
Buzz kite, Cabrhina or Switch or another brand to help me progress

I'm confused atm

I think you need to describe what kind of kiting you want to do and what your skill level is.

Otherwise stick to what you know best, an advanced freestyle c kite like a fuel won't necessariy make you improve, it might make you worse as you will have less fun/time on the water with their narrow wnd range.

Funny half the riders you mention were on best, those guys can make any ****e look good so don't go by brand is what I am saying.

And most people pumping and dumping their slingshots a MKH pimps.

Rails
QLD, 1370 posts
8 Apr 2018 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

I had a 13m fuel back in 00's, wind range 16-17 knots, great slack for unhooked tricks, no real depower, yep, that's about it

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
8 Apr 2018 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

My dad had a 14m FUEL back in 2001 I think. He still raves about it and how it delaminated like all those early kites before they changed their construction like all brand's did. He said that they didn't even have a quick release.. Wtf?
And he said donkey dicks were only found on donkeys back then too. Huh

Youngbreezy
WA, 938 posts
8 Apr 2018 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

My only experience with slingshot was that I had a 15m turbine. The build quality and durability was excellent. The kite performed to its intended purpose very well. I only sold it because I didn't need a 15m and it wasn't getting enough use.

I would definitely buy slingshot again, I had been eyeing off the sst but have airush kites now due to them being better represented locally.

I really like my airush kites, I could totally hijack this thread and waffle on about them

Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
8 Apr 2018 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

I had a 13m rev 08/09 once scarily powerful and safety depower wasn't quite up to scratch (didn't fully depower), I'm sure they're much better now, as are pretty much all brands of kite.

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
9 Apr 2018 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Peahi said..
I had a 13m rev 08/09 once scarily powerful and safety depower wasn't quite up to scratch (didn't fully depower), I'm sure they're much better now, as are pretty much all brands of kite.

Ok, revs are actually a lot better now. Yep. They have a bridle with pulleys and are very quick and have a huge range.
Do you mean the Diesels or link's?
My dad got my sister kiting on Revs, even though those FUELS are for girl's too. But she started on a diesel.
Unfortunately now she's a single mum and put on a few extra kegs so she doesn't kite much atm.
Wow, it's such a competitive market now compared to back then. There wasn't so many people getting into the sport and getting deal's with those supplier warehouses.
And kites were only 2 odd grand not 3 odd grand.
Oh and seabreeze was what you felt from the ocean not from your pocket phone social media addiction my dad reckons.
He's an old salwty seadog as he reckons

Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
9 Apr 2018 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fly on da wall said..

Peahi said..

Ok, revs are actually a lot better now. Yep. They have a bridle with pulleys and are very quick and have a huge range.
Do you mean the Diesels or link's?
My dad got my sister kiting on Revs, even though those FUELS are for girl's too. But she started on a diesel.
Unfortunately now she's a single mum and put on a few extra kegs so she doesn't kite much atm.
Wow, it's such a competitive market now compared to back then. There wasn't so many people getting into the sport and getting deal's with those supplier warehouses.
And kites were only 2 odd grand not 3 odd grand.
Oh and seabreeze was what you felt from the ocean not from your pocket phone social media addiction my dad reckons.
He's an old salwty seadog as he reckons

It was a Rev...

While seabreeze (and HTML text based forums) may be superceded by facebook, that's where you get kook advice. At there is a little bit more knowledge, wisdom and generally seeing through the BS here. What was the topic again?

bjw
NSW, 3567 posts
10 Apr 2018 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

I had the 2007 Fuel. It was so far ahead of every other kite I tried around that time. I miss it's soul. RIPs 2007 Fuel.

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
10 Apr 2018 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, my friend has a lot of old FUELS and newer one's and he says it's hard to ride anything else for wake style kiting. He said just load and pop it. 2006-7 are still hot kites ??'s n all.
I just saw some awesome you tube footage of the old FUELS with a guy called Ruben Kenton.He gets some good air but I can't find a woo record of his actual height. But just saw some of good footage of the early red bull king of the air and it's pretty COOL.
And it's hard to see what board is he using?
He kites well and is good to watch.

Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
11 Apr 2018 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fly on da wall said..
Yeah, my friend has a lot of old FUELS and newer one's and he says it's hard to ride anything else for wake style kiting. He said just load and pop it. 2006-7 are still hot kites ??'s n all.
I just saw some awesome you tube footage of the old FUELS with a guy called Ruben Kenton.He gets some good air but I can't find a woo record of his actual height. But just saw some of good footage of the early red bull king of the air and it's pretty COOL.
And it's hard to see what board is he using?
He kites well and is good to watch.

Surely you're taking the p*ss? Ruben Lenten (aka Len10 not Ben10) as slingshot's man for a long time, before erroneous defection to the now defunct Best. And I think the big C slowed him down. How could you not know that if you grew up with slingy's?

Chris_M
2128 posts
11 Apr 2018 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

The Ruben Langton guy is something else....

My favourite scientist is Alfred Einstein

Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
11 Apr 2018 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris_M said..

google Ruben Kenton lol

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
11 Apr 2018 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Peahi said..

Chris_M said..

google Ruben Kenton lol

Oops, that was my bad.
I meant len10

Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
11 Apr 2018 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fly on da wall said..

Peahi said..

Chris_M said..

google Ruben Kenton lol

Oops, that was my bad.
I meant len10

what's the latest with him anyway, did he get a desk job?

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
13 Apr 2018 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

I'm the proud new owner of 2x slingshot revs. Holy ****, they are by far the most powerful kites iv ever used, and fastest!

horey69
QLD, 495 posts
19 Apr 2018 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Kempo where did you get the Revs? I've had a few, I wish I had the 13 for light foil days.

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
19 Apr 2018 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

I had two Rev's as well. Great kite, but as soon as those P lines were out of balance they were dogs. A great kite turned into an unbalanced and hard to manage little beast. It really didn't take that long for them to go out of balance. This put me off kites with pullies .

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
20 Apr 2018 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
horey69 said..
Kempo where did you get the Revs? I've had a few, I wish I had the 13 for light foil days.

I got them from a guy in WA. Looked like they were hardly used. Got Adams kite repair to redo the valves and now they are awsome.

I had the 9m out in 20knots the other day and was on the beach with the kite at 12, pulled the bar in and got lifted into the sky.

These kites are outrangous. I'm actually scared to downloop them on my foil haha, You get slingshot into oblivion!!

bjw
NSW, 3567 posts
21 Apr 2018 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

The BWS V1 was similar. I had an 8 as my biggest kite for 3 seasons.

horey69
QLD, 495 posts
21 Apr 2018 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

Dafish is right though, those p lines need to be checked pretty regularly. I bought a 13 from the gold coast the p lines were custom made but to short.. .... ...Way to powerful no matter how I set it up. Bought a new set and yeah it was a sweet kite.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
21 Apr 2018 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

where did you get new lines from?

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
21 Apr 2018 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kemp90 said..
where did you get new lines from?

I googled the rev p line's length and got the made with spliced loops for my local chandler. They're hard to find now. But also if you upgrade that p line pulley to a ronstan orbit 2.0 pulley, you can loop it and the p line's don't twist n become shorter.. A must do on Revs then they're awesome

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Slingshot kite" started by Fly on da wall