QLD, 1692 posts
16 Oct 2016 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 75kg ,Level Advanced
Style: Wake, Freestyle
Weather: 12-30knots
Build Quality: 10/10 tough as nails!
Satisfaction: very very happy
Disclosure: Team slingshot (but I'll be truthfully and no ones pimp)

This is the first time Iv owned an RPM, had a little fly in a past, but nothing to really get the feel.
Iv been on the 12m and 9m all week, from extreme light wind to scary 30knote nite session.

The first time I pumped it up, it blew my mind how open C the shape is. Sitting on the beach it spreads its tips out quite far. As Iv been use to C kites for so long.
In the air it is lovely, it's bar pressure is perfect for me on the heaviest setting, firm with plenty of feedback.

Build quality: I think this as always a stupid question on reviews because most kites people are reviewing are brand new and you can't tell if it's going to last.
Well I can tell you this kite can take a beating. I had a slight kitemare when the 9m got looped into a building then stuck in a tree in 30knots. This kite came out with not even a scratch, I thought for sure it would have died! (No one other then myself was injured haha).

The bottom end on the 12m for me was a little disappointing at first but in the end it's not a light wind kite. To get going and have a good time I really need 17-18knots, however I did have a good time today in 13knots playing in the runout tide 4.3m - 0.3m, so there was at least 5knots of tide.
On there chart is recommends 15knots is optimal, but in that wind anything you do the kite has some serious backstall.

The best thing for me about the RPM is the stability, i'm not sure why it's so stable, but unhooked it is rock solid. Usually I have to split the bar when doing a handle pass but this kite won't drift up or down when passing the bar, this gos for both 12 and 9m. So for someone learning there first railey to bind, this will help a ton!

Freestyle in the flats!!!!
As mentioned above this kite is so dam stable, but what else that makes this kite wonderful for freestyle is the pop. It's not a "pop and drop" feel that you get with hardcore c kites, where you get your arms pulled off and get slack for days, it's a little more gentle with more travel in the pop, much less slack but that's ok because it just feels good.

Booting and loops.
Transfering the travel you get with the pop in freestyle is the same with boots. Boots are definitely more floaty the a full C kite, with less rip off the water. Therefore jumps are more controlled but get some absolutely big height with minimal effort.
Loops, hooked in and unhooked: i was shocked at first at how much power it holds in the loops, my last few kites haven't held much power in the loops so i was pleasantly surprised to get a nice big yank. I guess it's those big fat wingtips that hold that power. The 9m caught me most of the time in 20 -25knots. I only tried this on the heavy bar pressure setting so on the light it would most likely loop quicker and catch you 100% of the time.
Unhooked loops have been a little let down, just from the fact that you got to hook back it really fast otherwise it will backstall out of the sky, but then again I probably just need more wind and trim the kite.

RPM's are going to be my everything kite this season from competition freestyle to rails and playing on skimboards in the waves.
Overall this kite gives you an instant smile and would definitely recommend this kite to just about everyone.
I think the RPM is one of those kites that everyone should try at least once.

I hope my honest review of the 2017 RPM helps with any uncertainty you had with these kites. Any questions just ask.

Regards Elliot.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
16 Oct 2016 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

eppo
WA, 9380 posts
16 Oct 2016 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Nice review man, pertinent information well presented. Could follow what the benfefits were Easily. Only flown a few RPMs in my time for a small amount of time but probably one of the most exquisite 'feel's at the bar hey. Nice kite.

kernal
WA, 541 posts
16 Oct 2016 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

if your going to be truthful what is it like in the freeride/freestyle setting? :P

just adjust the bridal on the leading edge tooooo...... ooops

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
16 Oct 2016 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

Was the RPM an easy choice of kite over the Fuel for the riding you do?
And your kookslam sounds interesting. Ahaha.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
16 Oct 2016 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfingboye said...
Was the RPM an easy choice of kite over the Fuel for the riding you do?
And your kookslam sounds interesting. Ahaha.

Haha the kookslam was very very unfortunate. An od thing happened at the worst time in definitely the worst location. Oh well.

I'm trying to steer away from the freestyle now days and focus more on rails, kickers and just have more fun, so the RPM was an easy decision for me. If I was right into C kites like I use to I would have gone with the fuel. If the RPM didn't loop as well as it dose I would probably get a 9m fuel but no need cause it's looks are badass

Lamza
7 posts
18 Oct 2016 7:15AM
Thumbs Up

The only downside of RPM is boosting. Its just not made for it :( other than that its GREAT :)

IanR
NSW, 1242 posts
19 Oct 2016 12:12AM
Thumbs Up

Nice honest review Kemp90

Lamza in your opinion how is the boost lacking

Lamza
7 posts
19 Oct 2016 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Ian,
I have RPM 2014 for several seasons now and no matter what i do it does not lift as good as for example Torch. In same conditions same size i can boost few meters higher on Torch them on RPM. Other then that i love RPM's.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
19 Oct 2016 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

I'm not sure I quite agree. Thinking the boosting is fine. I managed a 1O.4m boost on my 9m in 18-27knotes, (at nite so I wasn't trying to boost big). I think each kite boost well it just dose it a little different. weather it's a rip, pop and drop of a C kite. Or a long drawn out lofty on a hi aspect.
It all depends on what sort of boost you like.
I personally prefer a rip, pop and drop. But this kite has more loft then I'm use to.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
10 Nov 2016 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

Turns out the pigtails I had on the wakestyle was the wrong length, definitely fixed the backstall

rippertom
7 posts
5 Mar 2017 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

RPM 2017 review in german l.

surfforum.oase.com/showthread.php?t=167261

Turbine 2017
surfforum.oase.com/showthread.php?t=166320

Woott
WA, 127 posts
6 Mar 2017 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

Had RPMs in 2014. Good do it all, great feel at the bar and for a bridled kite actually not bad for unhooked. Agree though that boosting and lowend are definitely not the best.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Slingshot RPM 2017 review" started by kemp90