Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Shinn Ronson Patrol 2017 - Nice ride, disgusting quality

Created by Wonderfulx > 9 months ago, 8 Jan 2018
Wonderfulx
QLD, 38 posts
8 Jan 2018 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Thought I'd leave a comment about this board from Shinn. There aren't any reviews other than stores which don't complain about much because they don't want to get on the wrong side of their suppliers.

I used to have a monk which was great. Bought this and it rides super nice. Can take heavy landings and it eats up and chop. No complaints with that part.

The quality is absolute trash.

After about 15 sessions I have at least 20 cracks on the top clear coat. One 20 cm long from the fin.

The footpads are so cheap and nasty. These are exactly the same as what is used on the latest Nobile boards. I took them apart today and the top is cut piece of foam covered in fabric with some flimsy plastic mounts. I can't see them lasting long.

First an unsecured pin fell out that keeps the fabric down (this happened to a friend on his new Nobile board). Also, a screw has fallen out that keeps the ratchet down, I'm trying to rivet that back in.

The ratchet is stupid. If you put your board upside down on the beach then footstraps go tight. Even if you drop the board in the water it happens. I can tighten the straps pushing lightly with my pinky.

The fins are too long and it gets caught on any shallow water. Not really something to complain about, just doesn't work for me.

Talking to the local shop about warranty. Can't believe it's like this with a premium board.

KPSS Used
NSW, 372 posts
Site Sponsor
8 Jan 2018 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

Clear coat cracks was an unfortunate poor batch of materials from the supplier. Will be replaced for sure. We had so many but all were replaced thankfully.

Can't say we have had the same feedback on the straps, they have had these out for well over a season now and have had any durability issues... yet. They are produced by SP Boarding who make quality board components. Good point on the ratchets tightening, pretty easy to readjust though.

Hope it gets sorted for you.

2stubborn2quit
WA, 169 posts
8 Jan 2018 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

I ride a couple of Shinn boards and think they are fantastic. But if I had an experience like yours I would be really annoyed in fact enough to lose brand loyalty. Mark Shinn puts his name on these boards, wonder if he ever reads these reviews.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
8 Jan 2018 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
2old2quit said..
I ride a couple of Shinn boards and think they are fantastic. But if I had an experience like yours I would be really annoyed in fact enough to lose brand loyalty. Mark Shinn puts his name on these boards, wonder if he ever reads these reviews.

2 year No quibble replacement, if your dealer won't assist contact shinnworld
owned plenty and had zero issues, and I've thrashed them, my original bronq has been given no love over 3 seasons and still looks and performs great

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
8 Jan 2018 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wouldnot said..
Thought I'd leave a comment about this board from Shinn. There aren't any reviews other than stores which don't complain about much because they don't want to get on the wrong side of their suppliers.

I used to have a monk which was great. Bought this and it rides super nice. Can take heavy landings and it eats up and chop. No complaints with that part.

The quality is absolute trash.

After about 15 sessions I have at least 20 cracks on the top clear coat. One 20 cm long from the fin.

The footpads are so cheap and nasty. These are exactly the same as what is used on the latest Nobile boards. I took them apart today and the top is cut piece of foam covered in fabric with some flimsy plastic mounts. I can't see them lasting long.

First an unsecured pin fell out that keeps the fabric down (this happened to a friend on his new Nobile board). Also, a screw has fallen out that keeps the ratchet down, I'm trying to rivet that back in.

The ratchet is stupid. If you put your board upside down on the beach then footstraps go tight. Even if you drop the board in the water it happens. I can tighten the straps pushing lightly with my pinky.

The fins are too long and it gets caught on any shallow water. Not really something to complain about, just doesn't work for me.

Talking to the local shop about warranty. Can't believe it's like this with a premium board.

Ps, 20 sessions and your from qld
now your talking shidt

MarkShinn
1 posts
11 Jan 2018 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Hi "would not", yes I do read these posts and I do care about my products. I don't just put my name on them.
I can only apologise about the failure of the clear coat on your board, as Kitepower have said we had a faulty batch of lacquer form the supplier and it is only after use that this became apparent. EVERY board that has clear coat failure is being replaced and this one is no different it will be replaced with a 2018 Ronson Patrol model. The only good side is that the clear coat is cosmetic so there is no reason not to continue to enjoy riding your Ronson until the replacement arrives.
Re fins.... fin choice on a board is entirely personal. When I spec the fins for a board I try to do so for the rider of the lowest ability who might ride that model as I assume that a more experienced rider will know what they like and choose accordingly. We never have a problem to change fin sizes on a board for customers when asked.
Re the straps.... the pin falling out is very disappointing, this pin is normally held in place with glue and clearly that has not happened in this case. I will talk to the supplier to ensure they check their QC in this area. The Sneaker SRS was developed with SP Boarding and has been very well received, we are now entering our 3rd season with it and have had very few complaints or failures. Some of my team riders are still using the pre production samples that are nearly 4 years old so I don't think long term durability is an issue. Yes indeed Nobile are using a very similar strap now from the same supplier.... I guess that means the general feedback they have heard on the Shinn version (which was released one year earlier) is good.

ActionSportsWA
WA, 953 posts
13 Jan 2018 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

AS a Shinn retailer we had a number of boards replaced under warranty for defects to gel coat.

As always no hassle or quibbles, Mark stands by his gear, even replacing boards outside of the 2 year warranty, on occasion even replacing damaged boards from 2012 or 2013 at staff rates.

Where we were unable to supply replacements from locally held stock, Mark shipped direct to customers within 10-12 days.

From a retail perspective Shinn are a breeze to deal with, as a retailer or a end customer. This is the reason so many customer stick with Shinn just for the great customer service and piece of mind when thing go wrong.

Toddy
ASWA

Wonderfulx
QLD, 38 posts
16 Jan 2018 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

It's great to hear Mark chime in. I really loved the old monk I had, that's why I bought another Shinn board.

Had another session today, 20-25 knots, cracked a fin when I dragged the sand in the shallows and another foot strap pin fell out. Mate told me I'm hard of the gear, but no harder than any other board I've owned.

Replacement board in today, just have to pick it up.

Hoping for better luck with the replacement. Glad the warranty is there.

2stubborn2quit
WA, 169 posts
16 Jan 2018 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Well I can honestly say this thread surely must support customer loyalty. At the end of the day there is a reason why Shinn boards have a strong following .
Disclaimer: Said it before that I buy my gear and nobody would be stupid enough to sponsor me.

Wonderfulx
QLD, 38 posts
25 Jan 2018 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Have a replacement board, took a bit of extra time because the wrong size was sent out first. No problem since I could still ride the old one and not much wind about. Hopefully it was just a bad batch with the last.

Replacement footstraps were sent. Exactly the same, the pin that holds the fabric down just dangles. None of them are glued and will just fall out. Compared it with the Nobile ones. Design is 100% the same. Possible slightly lower quality on the Shinn strap with the inner foam, maybe the rivets/ratchet too, though I can't be sure there. I rejected them because I'll just run into the same issues, mostly the ratchet self tightening with the slightest pressure. Trying out a set of older Nobile pads instead.

A replacement set of fins also. They said they don't normally replace them as I probably hit something. Not true. Only dragged the sand in the shallows because of the length. The last Shinn board was slid sideways up the sand at the end of every session and not one break after 2-3 years using it. Shop gave me a second hand set of harder ones instead. They don't look as good but better than fins that break.

NorthLines
4 posts
29 Mar 2018 3:50AM
Thumbs Up

I own 4 Shinn boards and have nothing but great things to say about them. I think durability is top notch. I had one fall off the roof of my car at 50 mph and came away relatively unscathed.

Mark50
NSW, 166 posts
31 Mar 2018 5:08AM
Thumbs Up

5 Shinns and no durability issues with boards or footpad/straps at all. Performance is first class!!

Aspiremr
WA, 108 posts
2 Apr 2018 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting thread. I love my Monk, and have had my Golddigger replaced no quibbles.

But the footstrap comments have got my interest. I personally find the Monk footsteps the most comfortable I have ever ridden with, way prefer them to Naish Apex, Cab H1 and H2's etc. However, they are a pain as the ratchet does self tighten. It is virtually impossible to have the strap fit loosely and stay open wide. Mine are constantly too tight when I go to take off, and I have to work harder than I should to get the ratchet loose and stay that way until i am under way.

I'm certain it's a design issue, rather than a quality issue, hopefully something that will be fixed in future generations. But from a comfort perspective, once my feet are in and the size is right, they can't be beaten.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
2 Apr 2018 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Horses for courses, still on original shinn monk pads, 1 st thing I do on any board is swap them to what I'm used to and like, some pads imho certainly take the gloss / true feel off the board, perfect example are the Naish apex, hardly anyone rides Naish boards but plenty have their pads n straps, I f.....g hate a loose feeling strap/ pad feel,

NorthLines
4 posts
5 Apr 2018 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..
Horses for courses, still on original shinn monk pads, 1 st thing I do on any board is swap them to what I'm used to and like, some pads imho certainly take the gloss / true feel off the board, perfect example are the Naish apex, hardly anyone rides Naish boards but plenty have their pads n straps, I f.....g hate a loose feeling strap/ pad feel,

Agreed. The worst thing are the pads that are slippery. I want to be locked in.

daggy
WA, 527 posts
14 May 2018 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

I over tightened the screws on my Monk fins and cracked two of the plastic washer thingys. I contacted Mark Shinn directly by his email.
It was a bit creepy 'cause he was responding within about 1/2 an hour sometimes .Two weeks later and a package of 8 replacements is in my letter box. No charge !
Maybe you're not happy with your board but maybe you should give him a chance before you slag his gear off on a national forum.

UTB
26 posts
15 May 2018 6:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
daggy said..
I over tightened the screws on my Monk fins and cracked two of the plastic washer thingys. I contacted Mark Shinn directly by his email.
It was a bit creepy 'cause he was responding within about 1/2 an hour sometimes .Two weeks later and a package of 8 replacements is in my letter box. No charge !
Maybe you're not happy with your board but maybe you should give him a chance before you slag his gear off on a national forum.

I did exactly the same and got replacements free of charge in my letterbox in no time. Top service I thought.

Greenarrowz
NSW, 301 posts
17 May 2018 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Ive owned 3 bronqs 2 of the heritage and 1 king gee also king gee elsol.

Long while back i had the heritage replaced it had the surface cracks...

They didnt bother me...but none the less the board was replaced.

Had a thin plastic handle replaced with the current type without even making a claim..

Im currently enjoying the heritage and king gee elsol... and yes i have one cracked fin washer.......no biggy

I have total confidence in the shinn line of products and believe customer service is right up there with the quality and time taken to offer these amazing boards...

Great work Mark.
Very happy.

Simsurf
WA, 237 posts
17 May 2018 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

Recently flicked Shinn an email about a cracked plastic handle on my wifes Monkette.. Told them specifically I wasn't making a claim but wanted them to know about the failure for changes on future models.
First reply (yes, within an hour) was asking for my address so they could send me a new handle. New handle showed up within a 10 days.

Fantastic customer service. Will hopefully be getting another Shinn board this Summer.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Shinn Ronson Patrol 2017 - Nice ride, disgusting quality" started by Wonderfulx