Thumbs Up

Rider: 100kg ,ntermediate
Style: Freeriding, Surf
Weather: 15-40 knots
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: None

My Comments:
Picked up a Shinn El Stubbo via Kitepower NSW and took it for it's first outing on Tuesday at a flat water location.

I have a shinnster/paipo and was interested in something a little smaller with more rocker for high wind freeriding and waves strapless (with the potential to be used for foiling at a later stage).

Conditions on Tuesday where a little lumpy with wind down around 15 knots and ramping up to 40 knots late in the afternoon.

The board is very solid and with the four little fins locks in tight and goes upwind really well. Had no issues going toeside provided I was powered up.

The board turns really well and is very easy to gybe on (super steady whenever changing feet).

At 30+ km/h, the nose rocker can make the board bounce around a little when there is chop.

The board can be jumped and landed without fear of breaking it.

I am really looking forward to taking this thing out in the surf.

blastkite
12 posts
26 Aug 2016 3:44AM
Thumbs Up

I have had the el stubbo out a few times but only as a foil and have to say the Zeeko foil is soooo smooth

Youngbreezy
WA, 938 posts
26 Aug 2016 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

I like the idea of an all in one board/ foil- I could imagine travelling with the El stubbo + foil+surfboard + 2 kites you would be set

weebitbreezy
617 posts
30 Aug 2016 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

The idea of a one board solution is good but having seen one I'm not as convinced. There are about 40 screws on this thing (plate, foil, straps, fins) all in. The weight you'd save on a one board solution you'd lose by taking an electric screwdriver to put it together and take it apart.

I'm just too lazy for that

Seems like a good set up though. Just wish it had less screws to convert it from foil to skim.

Gusto
VIC, 6 posts
21 Sep 2016 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hey, thanks for the topic.

I picked up a Shinnster about a month ago specifically for shallow coral water in light wind. I love the board & it does the job very well. Now that winds here, in Bali, have dropped off to about 8 knots I am spending a lot of time watching the guys on the foils. Considering modifying the Shinnster to take a foil or picking up a El Stubbo, which is a bit tricky from where I live. Be interested to hear your thoughts & any updates on the two boards.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
22 Sep 2016 12:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gusto said..
Hey, thanks for the topic.

I picked up a Shinnster about a month ago specifically for shallow coral water in light wind. I love the board & it does the job very well. Now that winds here, in Bali, have dropped off to about 8 knots I am spending a lot of time watching the guys on the foils. Considering modifying the Shinnster to take a foil or picking up a El Stubbo, which is a bit tricky from where I live. Be interested to hear your thoughts & any updates on the two boards.

Note the carbon plank on the bottom--you won't foil without it. No idea how it attaches or if you need a special Shinnster/El Stubborn to fit it to...ask your local rep. That'll get you started.

weebitbreezy
617 posts
22 Sep 2016 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

^ Technically not correct (although for all intents and purposes the right answer). You can drill your shinnster and fit a foil (search on here for 'Shinnfoil' - its in the really long beginner foil thread) but as mentioned on that thread, the shinnster is too flexible really - which is Shinn made a plate to stiffen it for OEM purchases (or make your own?). I'll bow to Kamikuza's experience in foiling as I've seen videos of him and he's ahead of me on the learning curve.

Same plate fitting fits both new shinnster and el stubbo. Its 8 small bolts through into the board. On another forum Mark has mentioned you could just drill holes in your board if you didn't mind the bolts poking through into the deck (maybe cover with deck pad instead of waxing?). You can do the conversion if you have the time/skills - but you still end up with 12 bolts just to attach the mast every time you want to change over from skim to foil.

I believe apart from the mountings for the foil plate, the shinnster hasn't changed.

Had a ride on my mates el stubbo. Its fun - but not for me. Its a weird hybrid thing. Easy to ride, good low end, but it feels somewhat like a skim with straps on. At the same time the extra set of fins make it drive off the tail more (than the shinnster which is edged more like a twin tip) so you do lose a little of the skidiness. Never ridden a strapped directional before but gybing strap to strap was simple because of the width.

And yet I still couldn't work out where it would fit into 'my' quiver. When I want to boost a twin tip does it better. In swell (no waves here) I preferred being strapless on the shinnster and I couldn't help but think the straps were to far apart (for my 32" inseam) to make a comfortable foiling position (more akin to a wakeboard width than a twin tip width).

If it sounds like I'm hating on Shinn - I'm not. I have a shinnster and an ultrasonic. I'm just going the cheapest way (second hand - my skills aren't good enough for home build) into foiling and I reckon the mass market product hasn't quite made it yet (look at the number of twin tip based foils appearing). Thats the one I'm waiting for before I buy new.

YMMV

Plummet
4862 posts
23 Sep 2016 5:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
blastkite said..
I have had the el stubbo out a few times but only as a foil and have to say the Zeeko foil is soooo smooth

Hows the floatation blast? there board doesn't have much volume and its a heavy alluminium mast. Can you see it easily when you fall off?

I like the idea of a one board for travel. But for at your local i think you would be better off with a dedicated board so you can have standard board and hydrofoil ready to go without swapping straps and fins around.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Shinn El Stubbo" started by bigtone667