25 Dec 2016 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 70kg ,Level- advanced
Style: Surf, Wake and Freestyle
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: (Team Rider)

My Comments:

So I've had the Ride Engine Apoc 3,2mm steamer for a bit over half a year and I have to say it is the warmest suit I've ever had. I used to go through around 2-3 steamers a year + a Shorty. The Apoc still feels new to touch and I regularly get mates asking if I have already got another suit, but it’s still the same old one.

Durability- We all know you should rinse your Wetties in fresh water after every use however, I have been a bit slack on this. To my surprise the material in the shoulders has not shown signs of wear. The stitching is still the same as when it came out of the factory and the rubber has not perished at all. the only thing that shows wear is the black Ride engine logo which has cracked a little bit.

Comfort- The wetsuit definitely has a different stitch pattern compared to other surf specific brands. Normally I experience quite a lot of restriction in the arms but the different stitch pattern of the Apoc make the suit feel a lot looser and less restrictive. The neck is reasonably loose so it doesn't feel like you're getting choked and it still keeps the water out when you stack it going fast. When I get a bit of fine sand in my suits it really irritates me although the Neoprene from RE does not hold on to sand, it just washes straight out when you jump in the water.

Flexibility- It is not as flexible overall as other leading surf manufacturers suits. The material almost feels like a little thicker, but it’s virtually as flexible as a standard performance surf suit. For kiteboarding the flex is in all the right places so being slightly less flexible overall is not an issue when kiteboarding. For a suit that you will use for kiting, surfing, diving etc, it has a lot better seam placement. Overall this Wettie has the best combination between flex and warmth for kiting.

Warmth- For a 3,2mm it is almost as warm as a normal 4,3mm. I never get cold when surfing now , whereas I used to always freeze. Diving with this suit compared to my other 3,2’s they all feel the same warmth but when you bring windchill into the equation the Apoc excels.

This is definitely my new favourite suit. I highly recommend checking it out at a local Ride Engine retailer!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Ride Engine Apoc 3,2mm Wetsuit Review" started by BillyHampton