Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Ozone Reo V5 upgrade

Created by rgeo > 9 months ago, 26 Sep 2018
rgeo
NSW, 46 posts
26 Sep 2018 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

To those that have the new V5 Reo's If you had the choice between upgrading a 2017 12m Reo to a V5 or a 2016 7m Reo to a V5 which would you pick? Would love to upgrade both but don't have the moolah!

Thanks for any opinions!

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
26 Sep 2018 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rgeo said..
To those that have the new V5 Reo's If you had the choice between upgrading a 2017 12m Reo to a V5 or a 2016 7m Reo to a V5 which would you pick? Would love to upgrade both but don't have the moolah!

Thanks for any opinions!

Upgrade the one you will use the most. The V5 is definitely smoother and more stable, and the onshore and offshore settings make a huge difference.

smook
VIC, 196 posts
26 Sep 2018 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

As above But I was lucky enough to try V5 12m 90% of the time at INDO trip this year The kite was so stable and flew down the line with ease While I was enjoying the wave Can not wait to try on shore conditions

nikmcc
NSW, 259 posts
26 Sep 2018 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone have any real world experience with the onshore setting?

Would make onshore waves a lot more fun if it lives up the marketing hype!

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
27 Sep 2018 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nikmcc said..

I definitely kite in the real world, my tally over the last 12 months is 245.5hrs of actual on the water real kitesurfing time, I keep a log of everytime I kite, which kite, board, harness, wind direction, location, and waves.
So according to my spreadsheet I've spent 26.5 hrs on Reo V5's and 12.5 of those have been in onshore winds at The Pass or downwindering in cross on at 7 mile in Lennox. The drift in the onshore setting is noticeably better, and the V4 was pretty good already.
The offshore setting is perfect for my other spot where it tends to be cross off, generally with larger and cleaner waves.
I definitely don't want to hype anyone, the kite flies quite similar to Reo V4, all I can say is it feels smoother and is more stable, and I'm definitely getting into and out of some tighter situations on waves due to the performance of the new kite. If you just flew a V4 and V5 on the beach you probably could not tell one from the other though.

nikmcc
NSW, 259 posts
27 Sep 2018 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ozone Kites Aus said..

nikmcc said..

I definitely kite in the real world, my tally over the last 12 months is 245.5hrs of actual on the water real kitesurfing time, I keep a log of everytime I kite, which kite, board, harness, wind direction, location, and waves.
So according to my spreadsheet I've spent 26.5 hrs on Reo V5's and 12.5 of those have been in onshore winds at The Pass or downwindering in cross on at 7 mile in Lennox. The drift in the onshore setting is noticeably better, and the V4 was pretty good already.
The offshore setting is perfect for my other spot where it tends to be cross off, generally with larger and cleaner waves.
I definitely don't want to hype anyone, the kite flies quite similar to Reo V4, all I can say is it feels smoother and is more stable, and I'm definitely getting into and out of some tighter situations on waves due to the performance of the new kite. If you just flew a V4 and V5 on the beach you probably could not tell one from the other though.

Yeah nice! Need hardcopys of this spreadsheet as proof

I currently ride (and am stoked with) V3s, and have a v4 which I'm yet to fly. Problem is, I have a silly habit of trying to pull into close outs in onshore wind... so i need all the help i can get

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
29 Sep 2018 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nikmcc said..

Ozone Kites Aus said..

nikmcc said..

Yeah nice! Need hardcopys of this spreadsheet as proof

I currently ride (and am stoked with) V3s, and have a v4 which I'm yet to fly. Problem is, I have a silly habit of trying to pull into close outs in onshore wind... so i need all the help i can get

+2.5hrs from yesterday, flew in onshore conditions at the pass, but forgot to adjust the bridle and was too lazy to come in and change it (beach was crowded - school hols) could definitely feel the difference. Although the kite still drifted, it flew too far forward and I had trouble connecting 2nd/3rd turns, as I had to really yank the kite up and over to while riding my board out in front of the wave in order to reposition for another hit.
Try your V4, they were better than V3 for drift and stability, with a bit better low end too.

Adam'KiteRepair
NSW, 331 posts
30 Sep 2018 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

My gut says the 12m would be best to upgrade as its flown in lighter winds. Alot easier to notice tech diffrences in light wind. Smaller kites feel better full stop amd are less likely to requier tech upgrades.

naishdude
18 posts
5 Oct 2018 1:14AM
Thumbs Up

I flew the Ozone V5 12m in really light con ditions to test, I have a 12m V4, I added 3m extensions to my 25m lines, and used an Airush sector V5 54 I have 82 kg naked. ( I use this setup in light wind condtions)

Yes I kow it is a wavekite but still am happy with its performance in lightwind and freeriding, secondly when all the 17m other kites ( on TT's) drop from the skies , the 12m v4 still floats at 12'clock, and due to the board ad the fast 12m I get along inbetween all the light wind kites.

Now I tried the onshore setting and regular setting, for the purpose of lightwind and the sector, the regular setting is better as I want the kite to fly far forward, when I had put it on the onshore settings, it was very noticable that you had more barpressure / and pull in the harness and the kite stayed noticable further back.

To be hones,t I have no idea what the onshore setting would bring "ME" more in the smaller sizes, as I do not like barpressure, on the other hand as described above, if you have those smaller kites 7 6 5 4 m on 25 or 23m lines and you get into the jibe, coming out, the kite may be far in front of you, and you will have to pull in the bar a bit to make it fly backwards ( controlled backstall) or you will pull the bar towards you to prevent it going too far forward while jibing.

I "assume" this will be the advantage of the onshore setting, the kite stays more back and you will have immediate power.
But do I want the higher barpressure coming with it....for me the answer is clear no, but I am a light barpressure adept.
I 'd rather give the kite another loop to get the power back and the tesion on the lines.

Result, do you feel the difference in setting , yes, it gives also more barpressure, more pull on the harness, directer feeling.

But in the end you do not have to use it, and still have a regular REO in your hands

Cheers Frank

EastCC
QLD, 354 posts
5 Oct 2018 5:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
naishdude said..
I have a 12m V4, I added 3m extensions to my 25m lines, and used an Airush sector V5 54 I have 82 kg naked. ( I use this setup in light wind

Hope you've got good sunscreen

naishdude
18 posts
5 Oct 2018 4:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
EastCC said..

naishdude said..
I have a 12m V4, I added 3m extensions to my 25m lines, and used an Airush sector V5 54 I have 82 kg naked. ( I use this setup in light wind

Hope you've got good sunscreen

got you.....well English is not my mother tonque...( do not get thisone wrong too)...but appreciate ur humor

blastkite
12 posts
8 Oct 2018 3:03AM
Thumbs Up

Just had first session on the V5 (we own a few V4's)

Really really love this latest version.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Ozone Reo V5 upgrade" started by rgeo