Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Ozone REO vs Slingshot SST?

Created by Gazuki > 9 months ago, 30 Mar 2016
Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
30 Mar 2016 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Just chasing an opinion on the new Slingshot SST?

I need an new 6m and was going to go with ozone as I just like there kites but I've heard good things about the new SST Wave.

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks in advance

WA Surf & Foil
WA, 250 posts
31 Mar 2016 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

If you decide on SST's let me know, I have a guy that used to ride Reo's and then bought Slingshots and is very disappointed so is selling a 6 and 8mt still new.

castill0jf
VIC, 563 posts
31 Mar 2016 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

I demo the 12 SST in marginal winds. I didn't like the kite how it turns. I prefer the REOs. I am waiting for another Demo day to try again with better winds

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
31 Mar 2016 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

One other question then. This may sound like a silly question but I've always flow catalysts and I know they are not a dedicated surf kite but they do work really well. So are the REO's that much better than the Cats. I do love the variety that the cat allows but now that I only surf i'm undecided on whether to stick with what you know or change. Is there that much difference?

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
31 Mar 2016 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

Oh and one more question,. I hear the REO are very gutless compared to the Cat hence wanting a Cat as my next kite up is a Cat 9. So Im leaning towards a Cat 6 but would I need to go a REO7 to have the same power?

The kite im relacing is a BWS6 2012 (very grunty)

WA Surf & Foil
WA, 250 posts
1 Apr 2016 7:30AM
Thumbs Up

The earlier Reo's were regarded as less powerful but the sizes were a bit out of wack, this has changed since 2014 and the bottom end is greatly improved,

I was riding the Catalyst and Reo last year and much prefer the Reo for waves, the new 2016 Enduro is even better and more tunable than last years Cat but still isn't quite a Reo.

If you are replacing the BWS 6 then a 7mt is probably a good option, one thing about the Ozone's is the windier it gets they are still the best handling kite.

We have demos of all these kites if you want too see for yourself ?

Cheers
Jason

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
1 Apr 2016 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Jase, Your a great help as always. swing by when I get back.

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
1 Apr 2016 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gazuki said..

One other question then. This may sound like a silly question but I've always flow catalysts and I know they are not a dedicated surf kite but they do work really well. So are the REO's that much better than the Cats. I do love the variety that the cat allows but now that I only surf i'm undecided on whether to stick with what you know or change. Is there that much difference?

I was the same, loved the Cats, until I moved to a place where there is no flat water only waves. The biggest differences for me between the Cat 2015 and now the Enduro (I have a 9 Enduro), is the drift, not quite as good as a Reo, and the slack line steering is not as good as a Reo either. The Reo has a really short depower throw, and can be ridden one handed all the time, not so easy with the Cat or Enduro. I find size for size the Reo turns faster too.
If you only ride surfboard in waves, get the Reo. If you are still going to ride TT's a fair amount, get the Enduro or a 2015 Cat.

Select to expand quote
Gazuki said..

Oh and one more question,. I hear the REO are very gutless compared to the Cat hence wanting a Cat as my next kite up is a Cat 9. So Im leaning towards a Cat 6 but would I need to go a REO7 to have the same power? The kite im relacing is a BWS6 2012 (very grunty)

Back in 2011/12 that was true, 2013/14 much less so and 2015/16 they are extremely similar in power, but I would say that the 15/16 Reo 12 has a better wind range than the Cat 2015
In the early years BWS kites were oversized compared to the number printed on the side and the Reo was undersized, leading to all these "grunty" and "gutless" ideas. The fact is that both kites worked well in their given wind ranges, however I've always preferred the direct, crisp feel of the Reo. The latest BWS are a big improvement over the earlier oversized model with the "P" lines and pulleys.

You will need a Reo 7 if you buy a used on from 2014 onwards to replace the older BWS6. Sounds like you live and only kite in a windy area of WA? How much do you weigh? Board dimensions?

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
1 Apr 2016 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah my 6 is my small kite, which I use 50% of the time the rest is on my 2015Cat 9m. Odd occasion on my 12Cat but that's only TT.

I'm currently 80kg and riding a little 5'6 custom. So I was scared of having big a gap between my 9 and below. (Based in Leeman WA, so reasonable windy)

Im 100% sure that ill be getting a Reo but I just was a bit scared of the gap. Ideally I would like a 2015 6m but if a 2013 7m came up I would probably buy it. The reason for being undecided was Jason has a 2013 6m for sale and I wasn't sure there would be enough in it.

Brohan
VIC, 528 posts
1 Apr 2016 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

I would go for a 2015 over a 2013 model Reo, I had a 8m and it was a great kite but you needed to have the right wind otherwise it wasn't much fun. The 2015 6m Reo would be like a 7-8m 2013 Reo

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
1 Apr 2016 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome, thanks all for your advise and knowledge.

I now have a 100% clarity for my next purchase,. 2015 6m Reo= happy days!!

Thanks again!!

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
8 Apr 2016 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Ok, maby not 100% clarity.

One last kite to through in the mix. There is a bit of talk about the Core kites of late,. has anyone rode a 7m Section? what were your thought?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Ozone REO vs Slingshot SST?" started by Gazuki