Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Ozone REO V4 - anyone had a ride?

Created by surfingboye > 9 months ago, 6 Sep 2016
surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
6 Sep 2016 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

Just put my order in for the new 8/10/12 REO V4's. Been seeing a few photos of people on the new kites, has anyone here had a go on the kites yet?

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
6 Sep 2016 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

I've had time on both my 6 & 9m. Only negative I can think of was there was some canopy rippling when I first flew it new out of bag, but this disappeared after riding. But that's being really picky. Power delivery is similar to V 3 but smoother. This could be due to new stitching patterns and reinforcing, larger trailing edge battens or thicker struts. I'm not sure but heard Rob really worked individually on each kite especially smaller sizes. Im not sure whether it's a crisp new canopy but turning seemed snappier and drift definetly feels improved. Had some really nice long dredgey waves on 9. Felt great. Works for me; you can throw the board around wherever and not have to even look at the kite. All the colours look good. I have green and blue. Orange looks nice to. Same bar as V 3. New designed larger pump. Bag similar. Same full spare kit. Happy days

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
7 Sep 2016 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

hmmm, thicker struts would be an improvement for sure, but it's always hard to believe something great gets improved upon, (not that it hasn't this year). My quiver is still pretty crisp and I swap out every two years, so I might not get to experience these changes straight away. Then again, I could be talked into changing out at least the 10 which was my most used kite....

COL
NSW, 550 posts
7 Sep 2016 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Pearl. Can you give me some context here. I still have 2014 8m & 10m Reos. They were clearly a massive improvement over 2013(mainly in power). Could I expect anywhere near that same amount of improvement making the leap to 2017 from 2014? Cheers. Of course what I really need the most is some wind but we don't seem to be gettin much of that yet.

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
7 Sep 2016 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
COL said..
Thanks Pearl. Can you give me some context here. I still have 2014 8m & 10m Reos. They were clearly a massive improvement over 2013(mainly in power). Could I expect anywhere near that same amount of improvement making the leap to 2017 from 2014? Cheers. Of course what I really need the most is some wind but we don't seem to be gettin much of that yet.

Hi Col
I'm just going by memory here..... But someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure about your 2014's but 2015 on have D2 ripstop. It's a far superior cloth for strength and durability. That alone is worth upgrade. Soft end bar is worth having from late 2015 on. 2015-2016 same kite. The improvements over last years are only noticeable on ground if you know the kites. Some are not seen. Sometimes I think a new crisp kite and lines feels better simply because it's......new. (Same as surfboards) There is a new reinforced construction method on leading edge and profile changes on leading edge and struts. You can notice the kite when inflated sits more upright retaining its structure. For 15-16 users it won't blow you out of the water but you will feel a smoothness at bar and some directional drift improvements. Other changes are bridle, refined tip and stitch and battern improvements. Rob individually designed and tuned each size of the kite (especially working on smaller sizes) on cad. They may become a collectors items. I hear he's a motorbike racing enthusiast that seriously competed in Isle of Man this year. In summary I think it's worth upgrading but not as different as 2013 to 2014 was. I run 1 bar on all my kites..... Was selling them unused when I changed them over anyway. 2016 are a great second hand buy atm (mine are gone). you may get a setup with bar included and only need 1 kite. Depends on your budget, cheers
ps northerlies have started here... Happy days

COL
NSW, 550 posts
7 Sep 2016 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Tell a lie, 1st NE'r sprung up this arvo, up to 20knot. 1st day for my 11yo out in the waves as well! Thanks Pearl, great thoughtful reply. I'm gunna get the 8 for sure, still thinking about the 10.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
8 Sep 2016 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

The thicker struts are interesting I reckon. I never had canopy stability issues with my previous editions. Hoping they aren't super fat struts like on the BWS's. Too much extra kite weight.

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
8 Sep 2016 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

I have been using 8 , 10, 12 m last 10 days at Mauritius. One eye and loving them very smooth and light on the bar and better in high end I was out on 8 and others on 6 and 7m and 95% time I was fine The new pump is great Again I love the 12 m even on wave like one eye worth a demo

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
8 Sep 2016 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfingboye said..
The thicker struts are interesting I reckon. I never had canopy stability issues with my previous editions. Hoping they aren't super fat struts like on the BWS's. Too much extra kite weight.

I have only had the strut collapse once with the kite tomohawking straight downwind of me. Strut collapsed and water filled over the canopy. Might have been an issue in bigger waves, but this was not that much of a concern as it sorted itself out with a bit of line pulling and relaxing. I don't think the needed to add much volume to fix it, I believe that they just went too far in refining that part of the kite in 15/16.

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
8 Sep 2016 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dafish said...
surfingboye said..

I have only had the strut collapse once with the kite tomohawking straight downwind of me. Strut collapsed and water filled over the canopy. Might have been an issue in bigger waves, but this was not that much of a concern as it sorted itself out with a bit of line pulling and relaxing. I don't think the needed to add much volume to fix it, I believe that they just went too far in refining that part of the kite in 15/16.

I can take pic if you like the struts are not Much bigger and I also have had no issues with v3 and as above the kite is very smooth and dose not flutter on the leading edge as previous kites it's a sick kite

Jedibrad
NSW, 526 posts
10 Sep 2016 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all, I got out on my 12m last week and my 8m yesterday.

The kites have a slightly different cut, you can see some curves where they used to be straight in struts and the LE has one less segment due to more curve i'm guessing. This combined with the thicker centre strut made relaunch easier imo.

The 12 has always been my favourite and i was grinning from ear to ear, very similar feel in the air to last years so there was no need to look up at it much to work it out. The waves where great and kite felt really stable so i tried push the kite more than usual i.e. drifted it when my brain told me to turn it and turns under slack lines, this kite will let you improve your light wind wave riding for sure. I crashed it on purpose (maybe?) to check relaunch as last years weaker struts stuck to the water sometimes, but it launched great.

The 8m was a big improvement in stability and smoothness (note, Cronulla can get hideously gusty) , conditions started high 20s down to mid teens. The kite is a little faster than last year and i was able to whip the kite back and around to come through the whole wind window with ease as the wind dropped. The waves thou smallish where fun and cross on so as the wind dropped out there was plenty of looping and whipping the kite around and the like between turn sections, kite was good, on when you want and off too.

(Oh i'm a team rider, but honestly great kite!)

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
11 Sep 2016 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah how good are the 12m REO's! Been my favourite kite each year since my first one like 3 years ago.
They are super stable and its so good kiting when the waves are still a little bit clean in the lighter wind.
Such a good addition to the kite collection.

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
13 Sep 2016 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

I've ridden the 12/10 and 8M now. The V4 is the best Reo yet for sure. For me the differences are subtle but definitely noticeable, the kite turns better with better power delivery and control in the turn, drifts better, and is more stable.
I've taken some pics of an 8m V3 and 8M V4 side by side, and you can visibly see the kites differences.

Struts, this is the centre end to end. All 3 struts are thicker and a different shape, so they are more rigid and support the canopy much better.

Dacron in the tips minimised, saves weight and makes the kite more responsive

Leading edge is a different shape. You can see the increased number of wear patches, there is one on every segment seam now.

Tip shape is different and the tip bridle point is moved significantly to the outside of the kite, I think this is where the difference in turn I can feel is coming from.

segment seam protection

Shows the difference in shape

Difference in tip shape and size too, new V5 is on the outside (Right side)

Tip shape difference

Trailing edge battens, more of them and longer/wider

TE battens closeup

One laid on top of the other, does not show the differences nearly as well as I thought it might, but included for those that like to see this shot.

kitethrills
QLD, 185 posts
13 Sep 2016 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Loving it - I finally got the 9m Demo out for run myself the other day and woohoo!!! she's a ripper. stoked - it was a really side shore day and the boys were calling it gusty but i didint notice. it turned faster than im used to for a 9m but still had all the power i thought it should. The depower throw is still nice and short / responsive for comfy balance on the board without the big reaches.

it was great - these are going to be big sellers - my first shipment is nearly sold out - one 8m left. get in quick. 4 week turn around on new orders at the moment so snap it up. ;)

welcome to demo our bright orange 9m anytime just call the shop - 07 5438 8118Yewwww - I love this kite

Dl33ta
TAS, 461 posts
14 Sep 2016 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

What's the power/size comparison with the Neo? I run a 9/7/5 Neo quiver on the Sunshine Coast atm and get good use out of all of them. Are they still doing the business branding?

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
16 Sep 2016 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

Wow, there is actually quite a bit of difference in the kites from last year. Interesting that when laid flat the area is pretty similar. But that is where it ends. The leading edge is very different as well as the attachment points to it, which will change the feel. Can't wait to try the 10 which is my go to kite.

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
22 Sep 2016 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Yes Ozone still do custom branded kites. Talk to your local dealer, and they will submit request to me. I need your logo in jpeg or illustrator file, and where exactly on the kite you want the logo, you dealer can supply an excel file with details we need to do a quote. Tax deductible kites!

Need to borrow a Neo!

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
24 Sep 2016 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

Still waiting to get my hands on the new kites...

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
24 Sep 2016 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfingboye said...
Still waiting to get my hands on the new kites...

They should arrive soon Doesn't take about a month to 6 weeks ?? What colour did you order I went for Blue to match my brd

[:

)]

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
25 Sep 2016 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Just clearing Customs, should be delivered tomorrow or Tuesday.

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
28 Sep 2016 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Just got back from overseas with the Owner of Ozone MAtt Taggart aswell as a some of their other team riders and spent 10 days riding the new V4s and puting them to the test in all sorts of different conditions- WOW what a kite. rode it in all conditions from cross off winds and short barrelling waves to side shore down the line walls and even some onshore slop and its an insane allround kite. They have made some great improvements to an already great kite. definately one to put at the top of your list of wave kites to check out for this season approaching and why not give it a try and make up your own mind! Demo tour around oz starts soon!

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
1 Oct 2016 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ryland said..
Just got back from overseas with the Owner of Ozone MAtt Taggart aswell as a some of their other team riders and spent 10 days riding the new V4s and puting them to the test in all sorts of different conditions- WOW what a kite. rode it in all conditions from cross off winds and short barrelling waves to side shore down the line walls and even some onshore slop and its an insane allround kite. They have made some great improvements to an already great kite. definately one to put at the top of your list of wave kites to check out for this season approaching and why not give it a try and make up your own mind! Demo tour around oz starts soon!

Where's all the good shots?? Love that Orange! Had to use the 7M V3 on Thursdays big blow, just too much for my 8M, gusting to 32/34 when I first went out. I could not walk upwind to the point after I launched, and once on the water was ok, but the bar was banging against the cleat a lot! Was almost going to come back in, after trying to turn downwind onto a few RH peelers and just getting dragged onto the wave in front.

I could just ride the waves and not get pulled too much and get too much speed/dragged away from the wave, and slowly the wind abated to around 25/27, and then after about 90 mins it dropped right out. Another kiter actually pumped up a 6 V4, but then we waited a bit and the wind started to come back, with the prediction it would return to the previous strength or more. The other rider pumped his 9 and I opted for my 8M, he was well powered, I was a little underdone at times, wind never really came back to 30+ but did return to the high 20's, we were both fine for another 2 hrs.

The difference between the V3 and V4 was very clear on this back to back test, the V4 has a bigger range with better bottom end, and a more stable and smooth top end, depowered quicker and with less rattle when turned across the window as we need to do on this onshore to side onshore point break. The kite drifts better too, smooth is the only one word that would describe the V4.

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
17 Oct 2016 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Finally had a chance to put a bit of time on the v4 10 meter. I agree with other riders as to the improvements. A great kite got even better. I kind of look at it like this: The v3 is like sleeping in 1000 count Egyptian cotton sheets. Really smooth and luxurious. The v4 steps it up and is more like silk. Even smoother. I would be happy with either, but certainly the v4 is better. The most notable improvement is on hard bottom turns or gybes. The kite travels across the wind window VERY smoothly without any shutter pushing the kite forward in the wind window. This is something that the 8 and 10 v3 suffered a little bit from ( I never had a 6 so I can't comment on that). The 12 v3 however never did that. Glad to see more support in the struts. I am stoked big time with this kite. Looking forward to a great summer.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
17 Oct 2016 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Alright, picked up my 8, 10 and 12 REO's the other day. Had pretty good wind here all weekend so managed to rack up 4 hours on both the 8m and 10m in about 18-25+kn. Ohhhhh, these kites are nice! Have a gander here:

The drift down the line is pretty crazy, not even a hint of flying backwards out of the sky. You can see in a couple of clips the kite is just behaving perfectly.
Unhooked, maybe only got half an hour in both days before it got too windy, overpowered and uncomfortable. Will report back on that later.
Build, yeah good - same as usual from all the big brands. Shape looks a bit different. White on the wing tips look good new, hope they don't get grotty.
Bar, same as last year. It steers the kite well, does what a bar should. Would love to see the safety line running through the plastic coated centre line next update.
Pump, seems like the key kite marketing word for this season is fitting.... Gamechanger. Haha, nah it works really well. Much better than the old style ones.

Frothing to try the old favourite 12m. There's just something special about big kites.

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
17 Oct 2016 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Love the 12m it maybe even better than the 10m ?? Used both at Mauritius it seemed better in the waves But need to try more kite looks sick in Vid You went green cool

Brohan
VIC, 528 posts
17 Oct 2016 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Is there much difference wind range wise from the 2016 model? Thinking of getting two of them (7m and 10m) has I have a 3 kite quiver now and hardly use them all (7m, 9m and 12m). I weigh around 85kgs and have a 25.8L board, think 10m and a 7m is a good pick for around 15-30+? Or a 12m and 8m?

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
17 Oct 2016 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

13 yr old 45kg on an 8m. Nice kites

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
18 Oct 2016 7:30AM
Thumbs Up

Oh man, I so want to hit the west coast! So much to explore in this world.

Black Sheep
30 posts
18 Oct 2016 5:39AM
Thumbs Up

2016 Ozone Mystic V3 top kites

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
23 Oct 2016 7:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brohan said..
Is there much difference wind range wise from the 2016 model? Thinking of getting two of them (7m and 10m) has I have a 3 kite quiver now and hardly use them all (7m, 9m and 12m). I weigh around 85kgs and have a 25.8L board, think 10m and a 7m is a good pick for around 15-30+? Or a 12m and 8m?

Hey Brohan

I've been having to use a 7M V3 some days up here and on others have been using my 8m and 6M V4, we have had a fair few 25++ days in the last month. The main difference is that the wind range is more useable and the new V4's handle the upper end of their wind range smoother.

I would say that the wind range of the V4 kite is therefore larger, because you can work the kite on the low side and on the upper side its just smooth and less fluttery and jerky when you depower/sheet out. I think they drift better too because of the increased canopy stability and canopy shaping.

I'm 77kg and ride boards around the 22ltr mark and I have a 6/8/10/12 quiver this year.

I think 10/7, a 12 will have the bottom end covered, but I think an 8 will be a bit much on solid 30+ days, the gap from 10-7 is doable, and the 10 will get you going if its 15 and not lulling much below that.

Keep the 12 from your old quiver maybe?

Regards

Steve

Brohan
VIC, 528 posts
23 Oct 2016 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ozone Kites Aus said..

Brohan said..

Hey Brohan

I've been having to use a 7M V3 some days up here and on others have been using my 8m and 6M V4, we have had a fair few 25++ days in the last month. The main difference is that the wind range is more useable and the new V4's handle the upper end of their wind range smoother.

I would say that the wind range of the V4 kite is therefore larger, because you can work the kite on the low side and on the upper side its just smooth and less fluttery and jerky when you depower/sheet out. I think they drift better too because of the increased canopy stability and canopy shaping.

I'm 77kg and ride boards around the 22ltr mark and I have a 6/8/10/12 quiver this year.

I think 10/7, a 12 will have the bottom end covered, but I think an 8 will be a bit much on solid 30+ days, the gap from 10-7 is doable, and the 10 will get you going if its 15 and not lulling much below that.

Keep the 12 from your old quiver maybe?

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the advice, I'm a uni student so can only get my hands on two kites if I sell the 3....

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Ozone REO V4 - anyone had a ride?" started by surfingboye