Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Ozone Edge V9 v's CORE XR5

Created by kenno > 9 months ago, 13 Sep 2017
kenno
QLD, 293 posts
Site Sponsor
13 Sep 2017 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

Has anybody ridden these kites back to back?

If so, which was the preferred kite and why?

Alex4398
NSW, 35 posts
19 Sep 2017 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure where the original thread on this went. But we did end up getting that review in as promised.

Disclaimer: This is a review by two shop members but we sell both kites so we tried to be as fair as possible.

The long awaited battle of the titans has finally gone down at Kurnell one windy spring morning. Kitepower's Alex and Alex put the Core XR5 and Ozone Edge V9 through their paces to see what the differences were and hopefully land on a verdict.

Conditions: Approx 25 knots NW Breeze
Kite Size : Both 10m

The Review:
First off both these kites are aimed at the Freeride/Big air market. So that means they are targeted for big lofty jumps, good depower and plenty of hang time.Both these kites are made by top tier brands build quality was good.Both these kites have a reasonably sized bridle with Xr5 having two pulleys and the Edge without any.Both kites have direct wingtip connections. Both these kites have fancy inflate valves for easy pumping.10m Xr5 Retails at $ 202910m Edge V9 Retails at $2149The Xr5 was ridden on a Sensor 2s Bar and the Edge was ridden on the current model Water Contact Bar. On the waterOn the water both these kites performed well taking their rider easily into the 10+m range. The biggest difference between the two kites would have to be the bar pressure. The Xr5 had much lighter bar pressure whilst the Ozone edge had a heavier more 'direct' feel. in the air the Core Xr5 gave more of a sheet and go sort of feel where as the Edge felt like it wanted to be flown a bit more actively. Both riders agreed that over the course of the session that whilst the edge was a bit more aggressive and probably jumped a bit higher, (sorry no woo stats to provide evidence) if you mistimed the jump it was more likely to overfly you. In comparison the Xr5 handled the gusts better and did a better job of covering your mistakes when you mistimed the jump a little or drifted a little too far under the kite.

Bar Comparison
Both bars feature a nice clean coated centreline set up which will resist wear far longer than the exposed rope centrelines. To be honest it was hard to fault either bar, both are quite refined and not different enough to change what kite you'd get. We wont go too deeply into the differences of each bar here (they have different sizes, chickenloop and safety systems) but during the test we specifically noted; The ozone bar has a very large centre hole which felt a bit loose around a little bit after riding the snug fit of the core centreline. The Core Sensor bar has a very small chickenloop and small safety ring which made swapping the kites a bit of a pain.

Conclusion

Overall both Alexes felt that the average rider would get more out of the Core Xr5 due to its ability to deal with the gusts and its reluctance to overfly and drop you. However the Ozone Edge would reward a more advanced rider who could more actively fly the kite and load the edge on rail better.

Both these kites are available for demo at Kitepower so drop by the shop, take them out for a test ride and see what you think.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
19 Sep 2017 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

nice work fellas.

Gilly3
QLD, 794 posts
19 Sep 2017 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

Great work guys, thanks for that....

How did u find the turning speed and loop ability of each kite?

Have either of u ridden older models of each kite enough to draw comparisons?

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
21 Sep 2017 7:26AM
Thumbs Up

I am keen on learning more too.
How did you find the agility i.e.respond to turning input? As in loading the edge and throwing the kite from 10 to 1 in order to jump (c kite style). From what I read in between the lines the Edge will be more suited to such technique? While the pulleys are known to cope well with gusts, do they contribute to a delay in stearing response?
Also, how does the bar pressure on the Edge compare to say an Eduro or Reo? Just to be able to understand how "firm" the bar pressure is.
Both are 5 struts kites I suppose?
Thanks heaps.

Alex4398
NSW, 35 posts
21 Sep 2017 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

The ozone edge is for sure more direct and would jump more like a c kite (without being a c kite), i normally ride the Core Impact so am used to that sort of feeling.

The great thing about the Xr5 is its just really easy to jump because you bring the kite in pull the bar in and you go up. But if you send it really hard on rail like a c kite it wont give you the best results. The pulleys are good for gusts and depowering for sure but they take that heavy rip out of the kite when you send it - but i wouldn't call it delayed steering response like some of the old heavy bar pressure kites.

Both kites are 5 strut kites.

Flown an enduro a bit but never a reo, from memory the bar pressure is pretty similar between the edge and the enduro but i find most kites bar pressure light coming from C kites day to day.

Have ridden older versions of both kites but not enough or recently to make fair comparions.

Turning speed is fine, they dont really remind me of the super high aspect wings that wont turn. neither kite really felt sluggish but they were both 10m kites... downloops fine, megaloops? nahhhh

To be honest a lot of this is pretty speculative so i can't really recommend demoing them both enough, check with your local shop for demo events. Everyone finds kites different depending on what theyre used to.

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
22 Sep 2017 6:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Alex4398 said..
The ozone edge is for sure more direct and would jump more like a c kite (without being a c kite), i normally ride the Core Impact so am used to that sort of feeling.

The great thing about the Xr5 is its just really easy to jump because you bring the kite in pull the bar in and you go up. But if you send it really hard on rail like a c kite it wont give you the best results. The pulleys are good for gusts and depowering for sure but they take that heavy rip out of the kite when you send it - but i wouldn't call it delayed steering response like some of the old heavy bar pressure kites.

Both kites are 5 strut kites.

Flown an enduro a bit but never a reo, from memory the bar pressure is pretty similar between the edge and the enduro but i find most kites bar pressure light coming from C kites day to day.

Have ridden older versions of both kites but not enough or recently to make fair comparions.

Turning speed is fine, they dont really remind me of the super high aspect wings that wont turn. neither kite really felt sluggish but they were both 10m kites... downloops fine, megaloops? nahhhh

To be honest a lot of this is pretty speculative so i can't really recommend demoing them both enough, check with your local shop for demo events. Everyone finds kites different depending on what theyre used to.

That's great Alex, thanks!

corpuskiter
2 posts
27 Feb 2018 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Agree completely with review- save for one part. The edge v9 loops. I have a 10m v9, megaloops easily, fast catch n good forward pull. Can't wait to see what the 9m can do. Double and triple downloops wonderfully also. Fly it on middle setting on wingtip though- lightest setting causes kite to do some scary **** when overpowered.

weebitbreezy
617 posts
27 Feb 2018 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Definitely get someone to video that!

I'd love to see someone megalooping an Edge. Not a lot of people even try.

Woott
WA, 127 posts
27 Feb 2018 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Really??? I have owned a 9 and it loops ok with a landing loop. Although it pivots around the wingtip and generates pull, it climbs terribly slow after a low powered loop so you drop like a stone and will only make it if you are way high up there. Edge V9 is a very nice kite, best out there for oldschool (partly because of that good bar feedback). However no good for unhooked and there are much more reliable options out there for powered kiteloops.

corpuskiter
2 posts
27 Feb 2018 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
weebitbreezy said..

I will see if I can get the woman to shoot some footage. I was skeptical too, and pleasantly surprised.

Woott
WA, 127 posts
27 Feb 2018 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
corpuskiter said..

weebitbreezy said..

I will see if I can get the woman to shoot some footage. I was skeptical too, and pleasantly surprised.

I like it! If you properly megaloop a 10m v9 you are a much braver man than myself. Should be some epic footage!

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
27 Feb 2018 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

There is a video that someone posted ages ago with some dude looping the hell out of V9. It was really impressive and great footage. Anyone got it ?

Woott
WA, 127 posts
28 Feb 2018 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
There is a video that someone posted ages ago with some dude looping the hell out of V9. It was really impressive and great footage. Anyone got it ?

That was a Dutch guy with an 8.

weebitbreezy
617 posts
1 Mar 2018 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Might have been this video:

Wonder if he got it wrong at all? Thats not the quickest climb I have ever seen in a kite. Impressive though.

Woott
WA, 127 posts
1 Mar 2018 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

this is the one on the 8.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
4 Mar 2018 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh that's it !! Awesome footage.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews