Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

North XRide vs Naish Momentum/Motion vs Shinn Monk

Created by sustan > 9 months ago, 21 Feb 2016
sustan
47 posts
21 Feb 2016 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Sup Guys,

I'm looking for a board for my father. he's 64yrs/ 80kgs/ 6ft3, been kiting for 3 years and he mows the lawn all day with a big smile.
He doesn't jump or pop or carve or anything.

His current board (crazyfly raptor pro) is too stiff and his knees etc. start hurting after a while of riding in choppy stuff.

I'm looking for the smoothest riding board possible which is not power hungry to get going, has no face spray and not too skatey.

I wanted to get him Nobile NHP but you don't get them here. I can get the ones above but I cant test ride any boards otherwise I would.

cheers!

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
21 Feb 2016 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

Good on him ,
The monk is pretty skatey, a more planted board would be the go, the xrides I've owned and rode till 2012 had too much spray, the pinbot from shinn would be worth a run, soft no spray ride with a flatter concave ,

strekke
70 posts
22 Feb 2016 4:47AM
Thumbs Up

Monk 2015 is a smooth ride in chop and I didn't find it skatey at all - the Shinn Bite fins lock in and don't slide out at all... Haven't ridden a Pinbot but could be a good option too when reading the description.

skywalker3d
VIC, 228 posts
22 Feb 2016 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

I have the Monk and wife has the Pinbot. We don't like the Pinbot much and thinking of selling it. The Monk is great in the surf but does not do much for me on flat water. Its not skatey at all. No spray and not to bad in chop. I use the Naish motion in the chop vey smoth boad on the knees but would need lager fins to make it less skatey. The Binbot does nothing good any were. Dont forget Shinn boards are really designed for surf i find.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
22 Feb 2016 6:51AM
Thumbs Up

God knows how many times I've passed my monk around to kiters wanting a run on it
I'd say the 1st thing they say is how smooth it is, then usually a reference to it being skatey, as in feel not like it giving way underfoot ie chattering,also feels like a snowboard is a reference I've had from a few riders something I can relate to, there's no doubt he will feel a huge difference from a conventional board, the monk is very flexible especially in the tips with the rocker it gives it a very smooth ride , especially in chop and certainly different in feel to what he will be riding, I've ridden the pinbot it has a much more planted feel, slower than the monk still with the comfort of ride and the no spray element all the shinn boards are renowned for
IMHO it's a step down in performance from the monk , you can email shinnworld who will give a personal reply to style and size of board,
A reference to the monk being a surf orientated board? Not sure about that, it goes ok , but I'd say shore conditions/ and not sure if that's relevant as you dad sounds like he's a cruiser,
Try and find a demo ,
Must be a great vibe riding with your dad
Good stuff
The shinns are made at the same factory as the nobile boards

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
22 Feb 2016 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Have all 3 boards here so here is my take-

X-Ride- Smoothest of the 3 and easiest to ride. Good for surf and carving.

Monk- 2nd Smoothest ride, upwind a bit better than the X-Ride. Has the most flex

Motion- Stiffest board but still smooth. The most Freestyle oriented of the list. Has more rocker than the other 2.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
23 Feb 2016 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BrisKites said...

Monk- 2nd Smoothest ride, upwind a bit better than the X-Ride. Has the most flex

Motion- Stiffest board but still smooth. The most Freestyle oriented of the list. Has more rocker than the other 2.

Owned each xride from 2010/11 till 2013, had a ride on the latest edition when they first came out, they are an easy board to ride and do everything pretty well, the spray issue is still there though, and for me the comfort of ride in our conditions goes to the monk by a long way, the xride 2010/11 was the pick out of the boards in the xrides for our conditions,

kitcho207
NSW, 861 posts
23 Feb 2016 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

I have been on the monk for 3-4 years.
I know what Cauncy is saying as that's what I found when I first got on it.
It's only skatey at the mid point of a gybe due to more rocker and the tapered in tips.
Once you get use to it you don't find it skatey at all.

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
23 Feb 2016 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..

BrisKites said...

Owned each xride from 2010/11 till 2013, had a ride on the latest edition when they first came out, they are an easy board to ride and do everything pretty well, the spray issue is still there though, and for me the comfort of ride in our conditions goes to the monk by a long way, the xride 2010/11 was the pick out of the boards in the xrides for our conditions,

2016 X-Ride is back to how it should be. I tested it in the worst chop possible and was butter smooth.

danatgbay
WA, 53 posts
24 Feb 2016 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

I agree the X-ride from the last couple of years is smooth and spray free. I have not ridden the motion so can't comment.

Between the Monk and Xride for your old man I would give him the Xride. The Xride performs better than Monk in its lower half of it's power range. The monk performs better in the upper half. As people on here say the Monk needs to be ridden powered. Powered up riding appears less likely given your description of your dads style.

Also in my opinion the North Entity pads and straps are a lot better than the Shinn sneaker type. They also have more cushion and comfort which also should help with your dads knees.

Spitfire
WA, 394 posts
25 Feb 2016 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

I would also consider the Shinn Turbo or Dundee which are a little more flexible than the monk.

ffifty5
VIC, 102 posts
28 Feb 2016 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Do your dad a favour and try a Ocean Rodeo Mako, say 140 or 150, smooth as butter, great carving board, no spray.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"North XRide vs Naish Momentum/Motion vs Shinn Monk" started by sustan