Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

North Neo one size small true or false ?

Created by sonny2727 > 9 months ago, 27 Jul 2017
sonny2727
VIC, 153 posts
27 Jul 2017 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

North says get a Neo 1-2 sizes smaller than your other kites. Is this true? I have 9m Rebel with stated wind range of 15-33kts and considering 7m Neo but if I believe 1-2 sizes small story then my wind range wont change and I'm just wasting money ...

castill0jf
VIC, 563 posts
27 Jul 2017 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

true. I am the kiter who demo everything I can get my hands on. Also, observe other gear and kiters on the water.
I own

SST 2016 waves slingshot
Neo 2015

Ride 2015
REO 2012
and many other kites I have sold

The WOW and the RRD religion could be equal as the NEO but I only demo them for a few hours.

The Sole has more grunt but I don't like them for kite surfing

cheers

ActionSportsWA
WA, 950 posts
27 Jul 2017 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Sonny,

The Neo is about the same power as the Rebel. In 2016 North evened out the power of all of their kites to be about the same. The North kites are more powerful than many other brands so if comparing to say an Ozone Reo, or Best Cabo, or Core Section, then yes, the North Neo would be 1-2 sizes smaller to have the equivalent power.

The Neo won't have the same range as a Rebel due to the 5 strut vs 3 strut canopy. Neo's work best in their low to upper mid part of their stated wind range. The Neo also develops its power differently to the Rebel. Neo has much more sheet and go power as opposed to the Rebel which has about half of the sheet and go power but develops loads of apparent wind power once it is moving. This is, in part, why the Rebel has such a huge wind range. Keeping the speed down keeps the power controllable when over powered.

Hope this helps

DM

sonny2727
VIC, 153 posts
27 Jul 2017 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ActionSportsWA said..
Hi Sonny,

The Neo is about the same power as the Rebel. In 2016 North evened out the power of all of their kites to be about the same. The North kites are more powerful than many other brands so if comparing to say an Ozone Reo, or Best Cabo, or Core Section, then yes, the North Neo would be 1-2 sizes smaller to have the equivalent power.

The Neo won't have the same range as a Rebel due to the 5 strut vs 3 strut canopy. Neo's work best in their low to upper mid part of their stated wind range. The Neo also develops its power differently to the Rebel. Neo has much more sheet and go power as opposed to the Rebel which has about half of the sheet and go power but develops loads of apparent wind power once it is moving. This is, in part, why the Rebel has such a huge wind range. Keeping the speed down keeps the power controllable when over powered.

Hope this helps

DM

Thanks so this means if I'm getting 2016 plus Neo then 7m would be ok but previous years maybe 6m

ActionSportsWA
WA, 950 posts
27 Jul 2017 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Yes,

Neo's were brought into line with the others in around 2015. In 2016 Dice was also made more grunty to also fall in line with the rest of the range of kites.

It's always better to demo if at all possible to see for yourself rather than take my word for it.

DM

pintofpale
SA, 229 posts
29 Jul 2017 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

I find the 7m really powerful.. I'm moving down a size to a 6m... I also have a 10 which I find there is less of a difference between other brands 10m. So I would say Neo is more powerful compared to other brands in smaller sizes. (I have 2015 kites) My friend has 2017 Neo's and they seem similar power to mine but better windrange. I used to fly Rebels and the Neos are more powerful.. I went down a size.

kiter49
84 posts
8 Aug 2017 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

I bought the 2016 version last year , 12 meters thinking I was going to get a 13 but I don't think so . May be the previous year were bigger for their sizes ? for me the 12 is a 12 . I can add one thing though , the back lines need to be well adjusted , if too shorts than the Neo will pull very much . Also this kite needs a high V , they behave way better rigged on the North bars .

weebitbreezy
617 posts
8 Aug 2017 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ActionSportsWA said..
Yes,

Neo's were brought into line with the others in around 2015. In 2016 Dice was also made more grunty to also fall in line with the rest of the range of kites.

It's always better to demo if at all possible to see for yourself rather than take my word for it.

DM

Although back to back, a 2016 Dice feels at least a size (maybe 2) smaller than a 2016 Neo. If I'm nicely powered on the Dice, I'm pulling the trim fully in on the Neo and still feeling pretty powered up. The Neo has a fairly flat profile so has a high projected area. Note I'm talking back to back on a twin tip. Might be different on a surfboard.

North usually benchmark their kite power against the rebel which itself is considered a juicy beast - hence the Neo was about a size bigger (more noticeable in the smaller sizes - 9 and below) and the dice considered to be a size smaller.

sonny2727
VIC, 153 posts
24 Aug 2017 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

conflicting views (as always ) this is from the current website ....

Dl33ta
TAS, 461 posts
2 Sep 2017 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

I've been riding Neo's for a while now, if I was going to have just one kite it would be an 8m without a doubt.

castill0jf
VIC, 563 posts
2 Sep 2017 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

today I was on my 12 slingshot wave kite and another kiter with the save weigh was on a 7 Neo. Both on surfboards. The wind was 25 + at time. I was over power at time but the depowor and drifting of the wave slingshot was amazing.

4 Sep 2017 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Ive been riding and selling Neo and Dice since they were created and I usually have 1 or 2 of each in my school as well. Over that time I've found an interesting pattern.
A lot of smaller riders (like my wife ) choose Dice (less grunt) and a lot of bigger riders choose Neo (more grunt).
But it seems when you go to the bigger sizes we get lots of guys who ride bigger kites 11,12 and13 who love the Dice (faster turning me included) and lots of guys who ride smaller kites 6,7 and 8 love Neo. Doesn't seem to matter whether you're riding waves or flat water, surfboard, twin tip or skim board it's more about what you like from your kite. One thing that is fairly consistent is that most of my Neo riders are riding 1 size smaller kite than they used too, but not all.
So to answer the original question will the 7 mtr Neo work for you in 15+33knts it depends on your weight and riding style, so hard to give you an accurate answer. But for me I'm 73kgs currently and ride lots of different boards twintip, surfboard, foil, mainly in the surf and yes, it would work for me although 33knts and gusty on a strapless surfboard wouldn't be fun.
Hope this helps
George

dazza5172
SA, 311 posts
28 Sep 2017 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

There is no question that you need to dial down the size compared to most kites with the Neo. If you look at the profile they are a squarer profile that is presented to the wind, squatter and more kite to the wind so that means more of the kite canopy is presented to the wind. This allows for more power when the kite is powered, but the kite is still easy to depower with a short bar throw.

This was my progression in sizes:
about 4 years ago I went from Rebel 7m and 10m to Neo 6m and 9m, then the next 2 years I rode Neo 6m and 9m with no loss of power from the Rebel (which as already described is a powerful bottom end kite) but after these few years on 9m Neos I was often being over powered so this year I have gone to 6m and 8m and that's my quiver.

Rider weight 74kg and all directional boards - 24L 26L and now the new WAM 6.0 28L
wind - these days we don't chase marginal conditions like sub 15 knots, what a bore, so its 15 knots and upwards
if we wanted to chase 12-15 knots then I would just grab one of my bigger standard surfboards as the advantage of a small drifting kite is that it will just sit up there and behave.

What I am not noticing is that when I am not kiting - is anyone else on the water with their 11m and 12m kites - no! so for me its a treat to have such a small quiver.

I did have a bit of twin tip action in lighter winds and there was a comparable difference, thats when I would have needed larger kites again, once I jumped back on the directional then I was powered up again. However the point is go smaller than most (I don't know about all as I don't have the reference to know how powerful all kites are) - Dice for example you must go 1m larger at least from Neo or back 1-2m smaller than dice going to Neo. Rebels have changed a lot but they tend to have more top end now - bigger wind range and more jump and boost, but they don't drift like the Neo or Dice

Hope the helps

Daz

pattiecannon
QLD, 593 posts
12 Dec 2017 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, flew the 9 recently, very powerful and looks bigger than other 9s.but, as mentioned here, it doesn't have high end of other 9s.
It's a nice kite

krisss
1 posts
26 Dec 2017 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

I wonder what sizes of kites to buy 6 and 8 or 7 and 9.I heard a lot of opinions the 9qm is a much slower kite, 8qm is much faster and practically no difference in the wind range.I am weight 79kg and directional boards - 24,8L, riding waves and freestyle strapless flat water.

mazdon
1196 posts
31 Dec 2017 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

What's your usual winds krisss?

i ride 6,8 now
15-20 on the 8, 20-25 gusting to 30kn and maxing a bit on the 6 but I'm 90kg, experienced kiter. Range of surfboards used, but on my 6 mostly in WA summer
if you ride lighter winds (15-20) mostly, then I'd go 7,9 - if often in 25kns go 6,8

Cranking in my locale today!
hope that helps

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"North Neo one size small true or false ?" started by sonny2727