Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

North Mono durability

Created by sonny2727 > 9 months ago, 4 Jun 2017
sonny2727
VIC, 153 posts
4 Jun 2017 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

Now that people got a chance to use the Mono for a while can anyone comment on the durability? Some say one strut makes the kite less durable compared to say Neo but then Mono had Dacron or some enforcemeat on the leading/ trailing edge.
i do self launch land lot so not sure Mono will survive

thanks

weebitbreezy
619 posts
6 Jun 2017 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

The version I had had a sort of rubbery layer on the leading edge and the normal North reinforcement so mine looked pretty much as new when I sold it (probably only about 20 sessions on it though so not high use). I was self launching but tether launching so less wear as no dragging. It looked like pretty much the same level of reinforcement between the Neo and the Mono.

Its not a bad kite but why the Mono over the Neo out of interest? Cost?

COL
NSW, 550 posts
24 Jun 2017 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

I've sold my son's mono now, which was used for him to progress through the learning stages. Was as new when sold. I don't see why or how it could be less durable than any other kite. It would still be the ideal kite for him to use, but I wanted it gone because when the wind picked up and it came to swapping kites I didn't want to go to the mono. It's a powerful little kite and well behaved but I'm used to the very responsive Reo. For general kiting or park & surf(which I'm not) it'll be great. It's powerful, forgiving, fast upwind, massive depower.

TomW059
183 posts
25 Jun 2017 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

I do 60 sessions a year, which is pretty good up here for working Joe.
If you have 3 kite quiver, your never gonna wear em out. The soft plastic parts fail first.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"North Mono durability" started by sonny2727