Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

New Kiteboard?? - Naish Drive vs Crazyfly Raptor vs Naish Monarch Vs Cabrinha Ace

Created by miller11963 > 9 months ago, 3 Mar 2018
miller11963
2 posts
3 Mar 2018 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

Hi there, I'm just looking for a little help making a decision between these boards.

I currently ride a Naish Motion 142x42 and a Cabrinha Ace 135x40. I am mostly a freerider who likes to jump. Most of the time I'm kiting in open bays with a good amount of chop. I'm 78kg and 1.78m. In really strong wind I prefer the Ace, but I think that is more a size thing. Otherwise I much prefer the Naish Motion.

I like to ride fast and want a board that I can hold down in strong winds (18 knots and up). I was thinking a 137 or 138. I want to be able to use this with my 6-10m kites.

So any feed back on any of these boards would be great. Direct comparisons between them would be even better.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
4 Mar 2018 6:01AM
Thumbs Up

Axis Limited or Vanguard. Channels are your friend for riding fast through chop.

...18 knots strong winds these days is it?

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
5 Mar 2018 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

I think you have figured it out yourself. 142 is a lot of board for your weight and the Motion is a perfect fit for what you are describing.
The only spanner in the works is the Naish Drive is just that little bit better than the Motion at everything.
The Monarch likes to be ridden hard and powered but not as smooth as the others in chop.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
6 Mar 2018 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BrisKites said..
I think you have figured it out yourself. 142 is a lot of board for your weight and the Motion is a perfect fit for what you are describing.
The only spanner in the works is the Naish Drive is just that little bit better than the Motion at everything.
The Monarch likes to be ridden hard and powered but not as smooth as the others in chop.

Then why do they still make and sell the Motion?

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
6 Mar 2018 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

2 boards you should certainly have on your list

The bronq has more performance in stronger conditions,

miller11963
2 posts
6 Mar 2018 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you for your replies so far. I'm leaning toward a monarch or a drive because I want to try something different that possible has better hold and upwind capability. Maybe it's just the size of the motion and/or maybe it's just me being human and wanting to try something different despite having one board I love.

I've read that the drive is harsher/stiffer ride then the monarch which is why I had the monarch on the top of my list. I'm open to considering other brands and boards but so far I've loved the naish bindings and the motion. I just want a board that has better upwind capability in the lower wind range and more edging at the higher wind range.

If I could I would demo a ton of boards but unfortunately I don't have that ability so I only have reference to boards I've ridden and all the opinions of everyone here :).

Also high wind for me is above 30knots. But I would consider strong anything above being pumped on my 10m.

StKKiter
SA, 84 posts
7 Mar 2018 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

I have ridden the Monarch a lot and the Drive only briefly, but I would say the Drive is noticeably smoother. The only negative for the Drive I believe is a reduction in unhooked pop.

seaFreaks
QLD, 72 posts
7 Mar 2018 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

BrisKites said..

Then why do they still make and sell the Motion?

Because it's cheaper than the Drive.
Oh and still better than the Axis...

DirkG
52 posts
9 Mar 2018 6:12AM
Thumbs Up

Interesting review of the Motion by Real Watersports. He prefers the Motion over the Drive.
I (1,79m, 73 kg) have ridden the 2016 and 2017 Monarch (41 wide) and I ride the 2018 Motion (41 wide) right now. I also have a 2015 Monk (40 wide).
The Monarch is a great board but you have to put more physical energy into it, especially in choppy conditions and when you get overpowered. The Motion is easier to ride. I ride this with 11m down to 5m. No issues with going upwind or edging.
Edging from my point of view is more of technique thing (stance, weight distribution, leaning back, etc.)
The Monk is also a great board, more flex than the Motion (especially at the tips). A different ride, but very nice especially in high winds.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
9 Mar 2018 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seaFreaks said..
Because it's cheaper than the Drive.

You don't say

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
9 Mar 2018 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Kite world magazine have done a back to back review on the monk , motion, plus a few others, with the monk coming top, if riding in chop , the spray element can get seriously annoying, so worth taking into account, took me a few boards till I found the shinns suited my ride and water conditions, warranty is also worth taking into account

psychojoe
WA, 1807 posts
9 Mar 2018 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

I weigh about what you do and I ride a 132 monarch
it's a sweet ride through chop when your lit
but all that rocker just sucks the power in light winds so you've gotta work the kite under 19knots
A huge advantage in buying Naish is they come with Apex pads
I reckon any board is twice as good once you put Apex pads on it

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"New Kiteboard?? - Naish Drive vs Crazyfly Raptor vs Naish Monarch Vs Cabrinha Ace" started by miller11963