Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

New CORE Section 3 Compared to Nexus 7m

Created by AndreC > 9 months ago, 17 Oct 2019
AndreC
WA, 512 posts
17 Oct 2019 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

Back story - I still have a Dad bod around 95kg and hate long walks on the beach just had my nostrils waxed and it furging hurt.. I ride Perth year round and outa town for last 10 years mostly on surfboards unstrapped. Ridden mostly every wave kite around except RRDs they give me epileptic fits with the colour scheme.
Note below this is my findings I would suggest go fly before you buy as everyone has different likes and dislikes.

Last year I decided to test ride a bunch of kites to see which I liked and what I would ride for 2019 the end result was the Core Nexus which I have had a blast on all year. See review link here
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/Review/Core-Nexus-7m-as-a-Wave-Kite-?page=2

SO went for a couple of kites in 16-19k knots on the Section and also took the Nexus down so I could get off one onto the other to see what the diff is.
SO The Section 3 is a smooth well mannered Clark Kent which is kinda of maybe what I expected its like an Ozone reo and Cab Drifter had a love child. The power is medium with a medium bar pressure ...it has a consistent pull through its turns with no stalls or power gaps. First thing I notice it doesn't have the radical mongrel power of the Nexus. Its not a bad thing as I think the Nexus is reminiscent of the Bandit Dos which was grunty and fast and you rode 1-2 sizes down.

SO this is where I think if you like a smooth kite that you drift own the line you will most likely like the Section 3. If you are more an agressive kite flyer and maybe bigger in size then the Nexus will start to tickle your doot doot. The nexus flies in a wider arc than the Section...which has quite allot of power on lock. I was in Indo recently and I flew my 7m Nexus the whole time except one day where I took my 9m. The 7m was staying in the lineup in quite light wind. The problem with the 7m Nexus is its a quiver killer...Atleast withe section you can get your 7m and 9m or 10m and be happy as.

I quite like the nexus you can fly a slow arc on bottom turns and time the hit to the lip.
In stronger wind or my high wind kite or if I am a smaller guy the Section 3 is the kite for sure. Also if you have little Trex arms or are prone to any kiters elbow etc the Nexus will pull your tendons out. I think thats where the Section is probably better for endurance on the body if you are plugging in long sessions in the waves.

The Section Its got a smaller leading edge and is noticeably lighter in weight around 2.2kg versus the average kite being around 2.5-2.8kg (yes I put it on the scales ).

I still think the diameter on the Core Bar could be thicker for more leverage and soft ends would be nice too. Its light weight though and minimal fuss. Centrelines are coated and durable.

Shout out of thanks to Action sports for the demo kite.

Will most likely slut myself out and fly this seasons new kites and review accordingly the best wave kites.

Heres a quick video to make you laugh wait till the end.

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
18 Oct 2019 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks pants puller, but also want to mention that thoroughbreds like Ozone Reo do not have sex with drifters.

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
20 Oct 2019 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

I haven't flown the section 3, only the two.
Both nice kites in their own rights but I've found the nexus backstalls pretty easy,.. never had that on the section 2. Andre, did you find this too? Maybe just me.
The other thing is relaunch, much harder on the nexus, you can't keep the section down. Slightly trickier to self land because of this.
The nexus is so much more gruntier though, makes jumping/ tacking heaps easier.
I put 5kg on over winter so I'm liking the nexus right now. However, I personally like the section more and will probably switch back next season.

AndreC
WA, 512 posts
20 Oct 2019 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gazuki said..
Both nice kites in their own rights but I've found the nexus backstalls pretty easy,.. never had that on the section 2. Andre, did you find this too? Maybe just me.
The other thing is relaunch, much harder on the nexus, you can't keep the section down. Slightly trickier to self land because of this.
I put 5kg on over winter so I'm liking the nexus right now. However, I personally like the section more and will probably switch back next season.

Havn't had back stall issues myself..might come down to different rider style/kite size not sure. I do ride it sheeted out half way though. What size you have??

AndreC
WA, 512 posts
20 Oct 2019 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gazuki said..

Havn't had back stall issues myself..might come down to different rider style/kite size not sure. I do ride it sheeted out half way though. What size you have??

AndreC
WA, 512 posts
20 Oct 2019 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Although comments and PMs on my reviews have been super cool and positive I did cop some **** from the peanut gallery about my comments on the light wind ability of the Nexus 7m. This is a down the line wave at Nungas, Sumbawa in around 14-16kn. Several guys had to go in on 9s...you can see that the water is glassy where most kites would struggle I am able to ping the Nexus down the line and no issues with drift.

Flatop
5 posts
30 Oct 2019 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers for the reviews any chance you could give an idea of where it sits in terms of turning speed compared to the other big players ie Reo, Neo, Drifter.

Curious about the bottom end of the section as well given it's so light, I'm still flying the Nexus but I'm thinking a big section will give me a bit more bottom end. Any chance you've tried the new single strut Core kite in the waves as well?

AndreC
WA, 512 posts
2 Nov 2019 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Flaptop,
I fly the 8m section as my big kite and its pretty grunty on low end. In the video I am on the 7m. The turning speed on the 8m feels more like a 9m..the 7m is allot faster. The nexus has slightly more low end than the Section but you have to muscle it a bit more to extract the power. If I was under 85kg I would go the Section. Havn't tried the single strut but am very interested in that idea as a big light wind kite.

Turning speed compared to REO/NEO. In larger sizes the REO prob turns the fastest and has similar low end to the drifter. I like the NeO for how smooth plug and play it is straight away. The drifter is really a great kite but a little vanilla for my liking it doesnt compliment my anger issues but certainly does everything well.

ReefWalker
WA, 115 posts
4 Nov 2019 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

[url=imgflip.com/i/3f7glw] [url=imgflip.com/memegenerator]via Imgflip Meme Generator

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"New CORE Section 3 Compared to Nexus 7m" started by AndreC