Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Naish Skater 5ft 4

Created by bermand > 9 months ago, 12 Feb 2015
bermand
WA, 247 posts
12 Feb 2015 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

Build -10, strongly built modern design surfboard, still super lite.
Portability - 10
Pads - 10
Straps - 0 choose your own, not generous Robbie
Fins - 3 nice future fins, honeycomb construct.
Rider level - wave capable, long term reef break wave riding addict.
No links to supplier beside for being a very good custome, paid full rrp for this board. $1299
Kites used- 7,9 m Cabrinha drifter.
Previous surfboards- various thrusters - cab trigger 5ft8 5ft 11. NKB pro series 2014, Gaastra 5ft 8, Shinn duke 5ft 10.
F one 6ft.

Initially I was curious what modern surf shape would provide, I liked the idea of a shorter board, was told by Daniel, it is a fun board for perth slop, should be ridden strapless etc.

Use - extensive testing Perth slop by 4 sessions 7 metre. 5 hours of 9m weather in good head high to overhead high reef break conditions.

Ease of use - even for tt riders you will be up and going super easy on this board. It planes early, shoots upwind, turns like a dream with good control.
Jibing - Heel to toeside is super easy, smooth as and controlled. This is the easiest board I have ridden to change foot position on? Why? I am not sure, seems to have perfect balance for the jibe.
Waves- Control is great, I rode it mainly with front strap.
Bottom turn is super smooth, control allows you to go early across the face, then you can easy throw the tail around to go down again.
Jumping- Surfboards not meant for it, except this construct is bullet proof.
I am very taken with these boards will get 4ft 8 as well.
Definitely the future, may not have traditional nose, thats one less thing to snap off in the water or travelling.

castill0jf
VIC, 563 posts
12 Feb 2015 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

I had demo the board on 4 foot waves for one hour. I will buy this year.

What I like about the board
fast
pivot turns
upwind is great
smooth on choppy water.

bermand
WA, 247 posts
12 Feb 2015 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

The other huge benefit is ease of travel. 5ft 2 will fit in 160cm bag with 2 kites etc. Naish seem to have the sizes sorted. The 5ft 2 is as good in light wind as a lot of larger 6ft boards. The upwind performance is staggering. Picked up 4ft 8 today, will give it a good go, once we get decent wind. The other interesting thing is width is not really wide at all. 5ft 2 is around 17.25 inch. On a wave it feels like pure surfboard, no compromise.

bermand
WA, 247 posts
12 Feb 2015 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bermand said..

Build -10, strongly built modern design surfboard, still super lite.
Portability - 10
Pads - 10
Straps - 0 choose your own, not generous Robbie
Fins - 3 nice future fins, honeycomb construct.
Rider level - wave capable, long term reef break wave riding addict.
No links to supplier beside for being a very good custome, paid full rrp for this board. $1299
Kites used- 7,9 m Cabrinha drifter.
Previous surfboards- various thrusters - cab trigger 5ft8 5ft 11. NKB pro series 2014, Gaastra 5ft 8, Shinn duke 5ft 10.
F one 6ft.

Initially I was curious what modern surf shape would provide, I liked the idea of a shorter board, was told by Daniel, it is a fun board for perth slop, should be ridden strapless etc.

Use - extensive testing Perth slop by 4 sessions 7 metre. 5 hours of 9m weather in good head high to overhead high reef break conditions.

Ease of use - even for tt riders you will be up and going super easy on this board. It planes early, shoots upwind, turns like a dream with good control.
Jibing - Heel to toeside is super easy, smooth as and controlled. This is the easiest board I have ridden to change foot position on? Why? I am not sure, seems to have perfect balance for the jibe.
Waves- Control is great, I rode it mainly with front strap.
Bottom turn is super smooth, control allows you to go early across the face, then you can easy throw the tail around to go down again.
Jumping- Surfboards not meant for it, except this construct is bullet proof.
I am very taken with these boards will get 4ft 8 as well.
Definitely the future, may not have traditional nose, thats one less thing to snap off in the water or travelling.

Sorry should be 5ft 2 as header

dafish
NSW, 1633 posts
13 Feb 2015 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

How much do you weigh bermand?

bermand
WA, 247 posts
13 Feb 2015 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

I weigh 82kg, 186cm. Medium skater imo for guys upto 90kg as goto board for most sessions. If you are over 90kg and have mainly light winds go the large. However once wind cranks above 22knots you will be more comfortable on medium. Obviously depends on light wind skill, though it cranks upwind and planes super easy with minimum effort.

harlie
QLD, 188 posts
15 Feb 2015 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the review, looks interesting.

From the pictures it looks like the inserts for the front strap are further forward than others like the North Whip & LF Messenger. Would give a feel towards a mutant? Not as much front foot required compared to a surf board?

Yes yes I know all the hard core club says we shouldn’t use straps....

bermand
WA, 247 posts
16 Feb 2015 4:35AM
Thumbs Up

Had nice session on 4ft 8 Skater, it definitely handles strong wind better than medium size. Nice comfy ride in decent size swell. Yes footstrap position is reasonably far forward, but there are quite few different insert positions.

bermand
WA, 247 posts
1 Mar 2015 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

3 hours on 5ft 2 in nice 4-6ft waves. Lightish wind about 14-16 knots. This board rockets upwind in light conditions. Really versatile.

John4F
116 posts
2 Mar 2015 1:56AM
Thumbs Up

Video's by the Germans on the new shapes:
Firewire vanguard: gleiten.tv/index.php/video/action/story/v/1775/s/18/page/436/
RRD Cotan: gleiten.tv/index.php/video/action/view/v/1755/page/351/
North Whip:gleiten.tv/index.php/video/action/view/v/1787/page/351/
Slingshot T-Rex gleiten.tv/index.php/video/action/view/v/1410/page/351/

My impression of teh video's: the RRD Cotan seems to turn better

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
17 Mar 2015 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

Build -10, I had heal dints in the Nugget and Whip after a few hours, no damage at all on the skater
Pads - 10, The pads with the convex top of the board make your feet stick like glue
Fins - 3 nice future fins, nice colours (exactly the opposite of board!!!!!)
Rider level - Intermediate flat/wave

Sessions: 10-15 knots, 19m Edge 1.5 hours (Flat Chop)
25-35 knots, 12m RPM, 9m RPM 5 hours (2-3 three foot waves)

Previous surfboards- thrusters/quads - Slingshot Tyrant, North Whip X-surf, North Nugget, North Whip 2015, Big old 6,2 Fish, Slingshot T-Rex

I just picked up the 5ft6 version of the skater and it is a really awesome board. I was surprised how thin it was and how light.

I would typically use my North Nugget or Fish for lighter winds due to the absolute fatness of boards but was surprised to see that Skater (at 17 inches) performed all most as well as the Nugget going upwind in such rubbish conditions. It is certainly faster then the Nugget!!!!!!

It turns/carves really well and is very quick in a straight line. I played with it in conditions from 12 knots to overpowered 35 knots strapless and it stuck to my feet like glue (great deck!!)

I have the North Whip equivalent and I like it a lot but it feels really corky compared to the skater. I need a lot of front foot pressure to keep it flat on the water in comparison to the skater.

I suspect that the board quiver will end up being the Fat Fish/Nugget for 10-15knots, the Skater for everything else.

tomme
VIC, 475 posts
18 Mar 2015 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

TONE,
how did you find in comparison to tyrant?

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
20 Mar 2015 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

That is a good question: I will pull out the tyrant and give it a go tomorrow.

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
3 Dec 2015 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

Build :10

Pads :10

Straps : none,I might buy some for when the waves get big maybe

Fins :10 I have some slightly larger TC Red Line Fins I might throw in when the waves get big and it gets over 30 kts

Rider : 85 kg OK only been riding kite surfboards for 6-7 weeks total

I finally bought the 5'2" Naish Skater 5 weeks ago after demo-ing it with straps last summer

been riding it almost every day since

Been riding strapless, mostly toeside riding in northernlies doing downwinders along the coast

Wind,from 12 kts to 22kts

Mostly small waves 1-3 ft shoreys

Riding 12 and 8m Slingshot RPM

I aptsolutly love it

It rocks

Supa stable and supa responsive

Turns unbelievable toeside, heelside

comes out of turns faster than I enter

Never ever sides out, even if I do a hard toeside turn in the whitewash

Has a slightly raised arch in the pads which helps keep it on my feet if I hit a wave with too much speed and get airbounre

Gets up on the plan supa easy even in light wind

Flys downwind

Small compact light narrow and pretty much bulletproof

Does not shutter as another similiar shaped board I tried does

Wind turns to the south tomorrow 26 kts predicted forecast

And 2-3m swell as a tropical low approaches

Will see how it goes with the 6m TS

Yahooee can't sleep too amped about tomorrow

Love this board

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
3 Dec 2015 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

I fitted some slingshot feet straps to it. Work a treat.

The guys I kite with reckon I go better on this board than any of other I have.

Had a blast in the same southerly yesterday for about 6 hours (2-4 footers - 100m to 200m rides )

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
3 Dec 2015 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Well the predicted Southernly came throught

Gusts over 50 kts at Double Island Point

And supa gusty on the Sunny Coast

Came in after a short downwinder

Placed my Skater on the beach while trying to self land my 6m

No one on the beach

It took off down the beach tumbling nose over tail for 50m when supa strong gusts hit

Thought the fins would snap off

Just a few cosmetic scratches

Told you it was bulletproof

omg
278 posts
4 Dec 2015 3:53AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone used the Skater Sport, in some video they say it should be lighter but obviously not as bullet proof as the normal Skater?

bermand
WA, 247 posts
5 Dec 2015 2:19AM
Thumbs Up

Never used sport model. Have 5ft 2 and 4ft 8, these boards Rock. Only change in 2016 is graphics and channels are wider apart. Another famous custom shaper has added this shape to his standard options, check out Amundsen kite boards, the Jonno is his version. Looks sick. John mainly designs boards for Hawaii and Mauritius.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Naish Skater 5ft 4" started by bermand